Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden Accleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course the driver thought she was pressing the correct pedal. Has anyone ever said I pushed the brake pedal, then looked down and saw it was the gas? No.
Yes.

Happened to me, while taking a driver safety class no less. I went to emergency brake and "oops", I mashed the accelerator instead. No, I didn't have to look down to know, that the engine reved was a clue, and the brake "feels" quite different when pushed to the floor than does the accelerator. I laughed at my mistake, moved my foot the to brake pedal and stopped. Needless to say I "failed" that test (actually, it was a demonstration to show following too closely is a bad thing, and I proved it spectacularly by stopping way beyond the 'fatal crash' line!)

Today while my wife was parking the car at Costco, Alamden Road, San Jose, the car suddenly accelerated and hit car parked on the opposite side with such force that it pushed out a parked Kia SUB ( Soul) out of its parking slot into the road used for parking. It was not in Auto pilot . The car is less than 1 month old. My wife said just before the accident " I am not able to stop the car". I was in the front passenger seat. My wife confirms that her foot was not on the acceleration as she had already entering the parking slot . Dashcam footage shows a sudden acceleration.
Fortunately no body was hurt. Called Tesla. they immediately responded and took the details and asked for all details and said that they have opened an investigation on this. View attachment 573730
How was the car moving if her foot wasn't on the brakes or acceleration and the car wasn't on auto pilot? Doesn't make much sense. I've read elsewhere it's nearly impossible for the car to accelerate on its own due to mechanics.

One pedal driving can get confusing because if you just let up, the car starts slowing down... it essentially engages regen and brakes if needed. There are people that almost never touch the brake... so sometimes I wonder if they get so used to one pedal driving that they try using that one pedal for emergency stops as well. BTW, people hitting gas pedals in place of brake pedals happens quite often in ICE cars as well.

Cruise control can be set as low at 1mph and it’s awesome. But if you’re under 10mph it jumps up to 10mph and you have to manually adjust down. All it takes is one half click down on the stalk with your foot off the brake and it’s engaged.
72A800C3-B502-49D2-9D60-23A54F18FB0F.jpeg

The separate on-off button is the double tap on the stalk downward, isn't it? But I suppose what @Barrygold is saying is that it's just the half-down press to resume a previously set thing.

I've had this happen to me in my Subaru, where you are in active cruise control but you've decided to accelerate, so you step on the gas pedal. Once you let off, the car will "brake aggressively" to get you back to the set speed, for example. Happened a few times when I first got the car, and then got used to it.

I was just looking at the owners manual, and if I'm reading it correctly, TACC is always 'on' and you just have to hold the right-hand stalk down to set the speed. Double-down actually turns on Autosteer if you are in TACC. So there isn't really an on/off button like most cars have these days, if I'm reading this correctly.

Reactions: Pilot1226
Now that's interesting. I always wondered why I had to push a "master" switch to activate cruise control. I could kind of see why this could be a potential problem for some drivers with one-pedal driving... If I end up getting a Tesla I'll have to make sure I set up a guest profile called "ICE" for people that don't know about it... creep mode on, regen low, etc.

Reactions: DanDi58
I was just looking at the owners manual, and if I'm reading it correctly, TACC is always 'on' and you just have to hold the right-hand stalk down to set the speed. Double-down actually turns on Autosteer if you are in TACC. So there isn't really an on/off button like most cars have these days, if I'm reading this correctly.

Pushing right-hard stalk down once turns TACC on. Twice turns autosteer on. Pushing stalk up turns off TACC or Autosteer. Right scroll wheel sets speed.