Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden change in steering wheel resistance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my steering set to sport mode and a couple of times, while driving around a curve in the road, I have noticed that the steering wheel suddenly loses its sports mode resistance/stiffness for a few seconds which causes me to have to move the wheel a couple inches to compensate. It felt like the slack steering of an old ford steering wheel. SC said they haven’t heard of it nor did they find any errors. The roads have all been ones I drive daily.

Anyone else get this?

an update. It occurred again on a slight curve and it occurs only in a left handed turn. I think I also discovered it happened on Autopilot and the car started to depart my lane. I had to take over. Emailed the SVC manager tonight. I’ll see what happens.

an update. It occurred again on a slight curve and it occurs only in a left handed turn. I think I also discovered it happened on Autopilot and the car started to depart my lane. I had to take over. Emailed the SVC manager tonight. I’ll see what happens.

I had that problem. At first I thought it was my imagination. It seemed to come and go, and then one day the power steering was gone altogether. The vehicle had to go on a flatbad to the shop. The power steering unit had to be replaced.

Reactions: RScottyL