TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Sudden gear change to Park when backing up - Solved!

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by Stasla, May 18, 2017.

1. Stasla

Stasla Member

Wanted to share with fellow Teslanauts. I noticed a few times when I was backing the car up very slowly to reposition it, as soon as I pressed the accelerator a little harder it would switch to Park.

Turns out it's because I was not buckled in -safety feature. As soon as I buckled up - the car behaved normally.

I haven't seen this documented anywhere- so before you schedule a service aptmt, please keep this in mind!

Hope this helps!

• Informative x 1
  2. BrettS

BrettS Member

I don't think the car will switch to park if you are unbuckled, although it will beep and show an alert on the screen. However, I believe that it will switch to park and/or turn the car off if you get up off the seat. I know there were a few complaints from people who would turn around to look behind them as they were backing up and raise themselves off the seat a bit to see better only to have the car stop moving.

I'm thinking this may have been what you were running into and perhaps putting the seatbelt on helps to keep you in the seat.

• Like x 3
  3. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

4. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Yes, if the driver's seat belt isn't buckled, the car seems to be especially responsive to reduced pressure on the seat sensor.

5. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

6. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

Yep, raise your butt off the seat (with the seatbelt off) and you're in for a surprise.

7. Stasla

Stasla Member

Possibly a combo of unbuckled driver and weight shift. I usually rely on just the backup camera especially in my own driveway for ultra slow maneuvers like this, but sounds plausible. Will test it out. Thanks!

8. gcbuckbee

gcbuckbee New Member

Yes, this happened to me while crawling along in a drive-through line. I needed to unbuckle to retrieve my wallet. As I did so, my weight shifted and ... HARD STOP.

9. Stasla

Stasla Member

Confirmed last night: lift butt = autoshift to Park. Keep butt firmly in seat = keep driving.

10. Racerx22b

Racerx22b Member

#10 Racerx22b, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    Stupid feature. Is there a rampant problem with people falling out of their cars while driving in reverse? It amazes me that total over the top "features" like this are present and yet coat hooks are somehow missing which have come in nearly every car ever since a long time ago...

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  11. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

But in Reverse the doors become Suicide Doors . . .
    --

12. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

Who on earth drives backwards with the doors open?

Oh wait:

(the final 15 seconds) ;)

Then again, a Model X is no Lamborghini Countach...

13. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

This +1

Anyone who wonders why other manufacturers haven't included this "feature" in their lineup might consider that actually no one needs such a useless function.
    I'd rather have coat hooks and/or grab handles any time.

14. BrettS

BrettS Member

I suspect that it’s less a function of protecting people who fall out of their cars as they back up and more a side effect of the feature that shuts off the car for you when you get out of it. That feature relies on feeling a butt in the seat to keep the car operating.

15. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

If that's the case, then maybe they can use the door sensor instead to switch it into park. Door opens, switch to park. Or better yet, use both. Door opens, butt lifts off, then switch into park.

16. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

Say, Thank you Tesla for your brilliant safety measures.

It also occurs if you try to back up or drive forward with the driver door open. Its smarter than some drivers.

17. Aljohn

Aljohn Member

I Back in my garage all the time with the Seat Belt unbuckled. I usually remove the seat belt in my "turn-around" to twist side to side. Never has the car shifted in to park. However, if the driver lifts from the seat, it will move to park. Same if a door is opened. So it may appear to be related to the seat belt, but more likely that ones bottom detaches from the seat cushion sensor.