Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden gear change to Park when backing up - Solved!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wanted to share with fellow Teslanauts. I noticed a few times when I was backing the car up very slowly to reposition it, as soon as I pressed the accelerator a little harder it would switch to Park.

Turns out it's because I was not buckled in -safety feature. As soon as I buckled up - the car behaved normally.

I haven't seen this documented anywhere- so before you schedule a service aptmt, please keep this in mind!

Hope this helps!

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler
I don't think the car will switch to park if you are unbuckled, although it will beep and show an alert on the screen. However, I believe that it will switch to park and/or turn the car off if you get up off the seat. I know there were a few complaints from people who would turn around to look behind them as they were backing up and raise themselves off the seat a bit to see better only to have the car stop moving.

I'm thinking this may have been what you were running into and perhaps putting the seatbelt on helps to keep you in the seat.

I don't think the car will switch to park if you are unbuckled, although it will beep and show an alert on the screen. However, I believe that it will switch to park and/or turn the car off if you get up off the seat. I know there were a few complaints from people who would turn around to look behind them as they were backing up and raise themselves off the seat a bit to see better only to have the car stop moving.

I'm thinking this may have been what you were running into and perhaps putting the seatbelt on helps to keep you in the seat.
Yep, raise your butt off the seat (with the seatbelt off) and you're in for a surprise.

Possibly a combo of unbuckled driver and weight shift. I usually rely on just the backup camera especially in my own driveway for ultra slow maneuvers like this, but sounds plausible. Will test it out. Thanks!

Stupid feature. Is there a rampant problem with people falling out of their cars while driving in reverse? It amazes me that total over the top "features" like this are present and yet coat hooks are somehow missing which have come in nearly every car ever since a long time ago...

This +1

Anyone who wonders why other manufacturers haven't included this "feature" in their lineup might consider that actually no one needs such a useless function.
I'd rather have coat hooks and/or grab handles any time.

Stupid feature. Is there a rampant problem with people falling out of their cars while driving in reverse? It amazes me that total over the top "features" like this are present and yet coat hooks are somehow missing which have come in nearly every car ever since a long time ago...

I suspect that it’s less a function of protecting people who fall out of their cars as they back up and more a side effect of the feature that shuts off the car for you when you get out of it. That feature relies on feeling a butt in the seat to keep the car operating.

I suspect that it’s less a function of protecting people who fall out of their cars as they back up and more a side effect of the feature that shuts off the car for you when you get out of it. That feature relies on feeling a butt in the seat to keep the car operating.
If that's the case, then maybe they can use the door sensor instead to switch it into park. Door opens, switch to park. Or better yet, use both. Door opens, butt lifts off, then switch into park.

Wanted to share with fellow Teslanauts. I noticed a few times when I was backing the car up very slowly to reposition it, as soon as I pressed the accelerator a little harder it would switch to Park.

Turns out it's because I was not buckled in -safety feature. As soon as I buckled up - the car behaved normally.

I haven't seen this documented anywhere- so before you schedule a service aptmt, please keep this in mind!

Hope this helps!
Say, Thank you Tesla for your brilliant safety measures.

It also occurs if you try to back up or drive forward with the driver door open. Its smarter than some drivers.

I Back in my garage all the time with the Seat Belt unbuckled. I usually remove the seat belt in my "turn-around" to twist side to side. Never has the car shifted in to park. However, if the driver lifts from the seat, it will move to park. Same if a door is opened. So it may appear to be related to the seat belt, but more likely that ones bottom detaches from the seat cushion sensor.

I have now realized that for the last 30 years of driving I get up off my seat, turn around, and reverse - THEN buckle up and get going. Turns out Tesla does not approve of me my habit. I thought my X was completely messed up, but now I’m thinking that the above is the reason why my car keeps jamming into park when reversing.

I do wish some of these things were adjustable. This kind of makes me angry that I now have to change my behavior to suit the car. Guess it evens out with a little autopilot.

Reactions: bay74
Its a safety issue. That's why Tesla does it. Its been that way for years now. I think my first in 2013, did it too. In case you didn't already know, if you have your driver door open and try to drive forward or in reverse, within a few feet, the car will stop and throw itself in Park. Yes, you may need to adjust your behavior. I not read anything that explained their motivation to insure you don't turn around in the seat when in reverse. I would guess its more about the seat sensor makes sure someone is in the car seat and not standing outside or fell out of the car. You know, so it doesn't drive away on its own. I think it was the feds that required that we press the brake pedal before we can put the vehicle in gear, regardless of whether its automatic or stick shift.

Unfortunately a dear friend of ours left her car and to get something out of the trunk, the car wasn't in Park. When she opened the trunk the car moved backwards and crushed her against another car. She didn't survive. I thought at the time: had she been in a Tesla it would have automatically gone into park and saved her life. If you unbuckle the driver's seat belt while in Auto Pilot, the Tesla will release speed control and immediately decelerate. Lane departure warning, collision avoidance, speed limiting for kids driving and a 5-Star safety rating are all good reasons to own a Tesla. Automatic park, when the driver exits the seat is a Great Safety Feature. I wish my friend had that in her ICE vehicle.

Last edited:
Reactions: ecarfan and Akikiki