Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model S 85 2014 with only 53000 miles. I noticed that the supercharging rate has dropped off like most people on this forum, but my range is still OK. I took the car to Tesla service department three times and was told it’s the heat and the humidity, or certain Superchargers causing the slow charge. Being involved with Electronics design this could have some merit but everything was OK with the car last summer. It is easy to disprove those reasons by driving to three different Superchargers late at night when it’s colder and also when the charging stations are empty.

I dropped the SOC to 20 miles and visited three superchargers which were empty. All of the superchargers started in excess of 115kW but quickly dropped within 30 seconds to around 90kW and slowed down immensely.

I went back to Tesla and the technicians were at lunch and the service advisor took all my details and went upstairs to the technicians. She came down and asked when did I notice it. I said two months ago. Her reply was “well that’s when Tesla pushed the firmware “upgrade” to prolong the life of the battery”

I told her that’s not fair and she must ask the technician to phone me.

He phoned and basically said that Tesla has the right to slow the charge rate from the superchargers. I suppose they do have that right but it is not ethical. If the software had affected my range I could have made the point that Tesla don’t have that right. I told him I would like the matter to be elevated but no-one has contacted me.

I love my car and have done nothing but praised the company for four years. Now I am not sure if I can buy another Tesla. Tesla are damaging their name with the early adopters.

I have a Model S 85 2014 with only 53000 miles. I noticed that the supercharging rate has dropped off like most people on this forum, but my range is still OK. I took the car to Tesla service department three times and was told it’s the heat and the humidity, or certain Superchargers causing the slow charge. Being involved with Electronics design this could have some merit but everything was OK with the car last summer. It is easy to disprove those reasons by driving to three different Superchargers late at night when it’s colder and also when the charging stations are empty.

I dropped the SOC to 20 miles and visited three superchargers which were empty. All of the superchargers started in excess of 115kW but quickly dropped within 30 seconds to around 90kW and slowed down immensely.

I went back to Tesla and the technicians were at lunch and the service advisor took all my details and went upstairs to the technicians. She came down and asked when did I notice it. I said two months ago. Her reply was “well that’s when Tesla pushed the firmware “upgrade” to prolong the life of the battery”

He phoned and basically said that Tesla has the right to slow the charge rate from the superchargers. I suppose they do have that right but it is not ethical. If the software had affected my range I could have made the point that Tesla don’t have that right. I told him I would like the matter to be elevated but no-one has contacted me.

I love my car and have done nothing but praised the company for four years. Now I am not sure if I can buy another Tesla. Tesla are damaging their name with the early adopters.
Ya, and still, they claim 300+ miles per hour charge rate for all Teslas… I have not seen a charge rate above 80kw since the update, when I used to get in excess of 120kw (on a 150kw charger). That and the massive loss in KW capacity makes me a VERY unhappy camper.
And to answer Teslas solution they gave me.. HELL NO I am NOT buying a newer Tesla to fix TESLAS bug!

Same story with with mine. Definitely worth joining the class action and putting pressure on Tesla any way you can.

Well it looks like I received a neutered pack for my replacement pack(wasn’t neutered before). This is going to get interesting.
That would not qualify as a valid replacement if it has LESS available KW than the pack they replaced the way the battery warrantee is worded. (as measured PRIOR to the issue that caused replacement).

Review the wording on the battery warrantee. This should give you a valid basis for appeal and in getting a PROPERLY working replacement battery pack.

Last edited:
232 RM, Was 252 RM before.

Should anyone else get a replacement battery, I recommend that you test the battery using ScanMyTesla before accepting the replacement battery. It Is totally unacceptable for Tesla to be capping their replacement batteries. It’s a simple matter to connect the OBDLink scanner adapter cable to the car’s CANBus to read the nominal (useable) capacity of the installed battery and also see what the range would be at a 100% SOC. Whole process would take no more time than one minute.

Doesn't the warranty state they will replace your current battery with one that has equal or better range?
Yeah, I’m not too worried. I’ll contact them in the next few days. They said they did a range charge before I picked it up, and it read 249 RM. It was bled down to 222 when I got there that morning.

I really doubt they will argue since the car was rooted, and everything was logged.

No, car on 8.1, contactors reach the fault counter, message pops up to contact Tesla Service. Service drops something into pack while replacing contactors. Battery has to be sent to Fremont. Fremont ships replacement pack. Software downgrade to 2019.32.2.2, and neutered pack at the same time.

Awesome customer service! Granted, the SC, didn’t choose the replacement battery pack.

No, car on 8.1, contactors reach the fault counter, message pops up to contact Tesla Service. Service drops something into pack while replacing contactors. Battery has to be sent to Fremont. Fremont ships replacement pack. Software downgrade to 2019.32.2.2, and neutered pack at the same time.

Awesome customer service! Granted, the SC, didn’t choose the replacement battery pack.

You have a P85DL and they're replacing the pack with another 1500 amp 85? I haven't heard of that in at least two years. All the ones I've seen since have been replaced with 90 1600 packs.

• Informative
Reactions: Blu Zap