Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think US class action settlements will directly apply to anyone outside of the US, but your attorney can use DJRas' filed paperwork to draft a similar petition. You would need to modify the named counts to match your own laws of course, but the hard part is done. He or she was careful to identify 4.2v as the only way the delivered product could be used as they were purchased and that less is theft, etc, and lists 19 counts of how this reduction harms owners. It even goes into the dangers of concealing safety related updates from owners which is a considerable crime inthe US and is probably likewise everywhere else. It's a good example to follow, it leaves no room for Tesla to try and use the distractions we've seen armchair apologists try like "degradation" and it names multiple specific criminal actions Tesla has committed with documented examples.

Not sure I can trust a headline with such an obvious grammatical error.

Here's the original article:
Truck hauling electric vehicles catches fire on I-80 near Carlin

Looks like the water is being focused on a Model 3.

Speculation: These cars were 100% charged at the factory, powered off (no coolant circulation while loaded on the trailer), and the desert heat caused one of the batteries to have a fire issue. The heat from the first fire caused the remaining batteries to overheat and also burst into flames.
Speculation 2: However, it's also possible the Subaru on the trailer leaked some gasoline, igniting the whole thing.

IF the Model 3's packs are also subject to combusting spontaneously - with their different 2170-based design, this is a MAJOR development. These packs are new, not heavily used, abused, or degraded.

Last edited:
Model 3 was sold with reduced range originally - remember they requested an EPA reduction. I assumed it was to keep the Model S on top but maybe Tesla had identified design flaws at 4.2v earlier than we thought.

Devil's advocate - these are new cars and weren't charged to 4.2v for factory transport mode. A random assembly error could have caused a short or otherwise led to thermal runaway conditions.

Model 3 was sold with reduced range originally - remember they requested an EPA reduction. I assumed it was to keep the Model S on top but maybe Tesla had identified design flaws at 4.2v earlier than we thought.

Devil's advocate - these are new cars and weren't charged to 4.2v for factory transport mode. A random assembly error could have caused a short or otherwise led to thermal runaway conditions.

Of course the article says "According to a Tesla spokesperson, the cause of the fire was related to the carrier truck, not to the vehicles on the truck." But you don't believe anything Tesla says do you?

I saw someone say that the brakes on the trailer are what caused the fire, but I haven't seen an actual news site report that. (I would believe that as I saw a trailer full of peaches burn to the ground here in Portland because of the brakes on the trailer.)

Of course the article says "According to a Tesla spokesperson, the cause of the fire was related to the carrier truck, not to the vehicles on the truck." But you don't believe anything Tesla says do you?

I saw someone say that the brakes on the trailer are what caused the fire, but I haven't seen an actual news site report that. (I would believe that as I saw a trailer full of peaches burn to the ground here in Portland because of the brakes on the trailer.)
This is probably more likely than either of my two speculative cases. I've seen truck tires blow from trailer brakes that drag/don't release properly. I searched but was unable to find a follow-up article that might have contained the results of a fire investigation (it may likely take more than a week for the cause to be determined).

I don't know.
I'll ask my attorney

Please, do ask an let us know.

I don't think US class action settlements will directly apply to anyone outside of the US, but your attorney can use DJRas' filed paperwork to draft a similar petition. You would need to modify the named counts to match your own laws of course, but the hard part is done. He or she was careful to identify 4.2v as the only way the delivered product could be used as they were purchased and that less is theft, etc, and lists 19 counts of how this reduction harms owners. It even goes into the dangers of concealing safety related updates from owners which is a considerable crime inthe US and is probably likewise everywhere else. It's a good example to follow, it leaves no room for Tesla to try and use the distractions we've seen armchair apologists try like "degradation" and it names multiple specific criminal actions Tesla has committed with documented examples.

I see.... It won'r be easy, though.
And where can i get DJRas' attorney petition?

People think of trailers as a metal sled with wheels but they do have things that can catch fire: tires, brake fluid, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if the trailer caught fire... but I'd be interested in what evidence Tesla had that leads them to that conclusion. Even if a Tesla caught fire, it is possible that the underside was damaged during transport or loading. Will have to wait and see on this one.

Mike

Reactions: Droschke
People think of trailers as a metal sled with wheels but they do have things that can catch fire: tires, brake fluid, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if the trailer caught fire... but I'd be interested in what evidence Tesla had that leads them to that conclusion. Even if a Tesla caught fire, it is possible that the underside was damaged during transport or loading. Will have to wait and see on this one.

Mike
Tractor-trailer brakes use compressed air, not hydraulics, so no brake fluid to burn.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke