Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Display showed 246 at 100% SOC.
View attachment 463130

P85D was rated at 253 new; so this is just under 3% after roughly 33500 miles.
I would love to read your BMS.
I don't have any data from a P85D yet.
But, this clearly shows Tesla's recent claims (to owners complaining at the Service Center) that ALL early Model S are affected by the software updates are lies.

Does the suit and or the NHSTA petition specify only 2012-2015 Model S and X? Mine is a 2016 Model S70, and it has been infected with the same plague, battery capped and doubling supercharging time !
From the NHTSA petition

"In order to ensure that all Tesla owners are provided with an accurate notification of the potential safety issues and defects involved with their vehicles, NHTSA should conduct a formal investigation regarding the safety of Tesla 2012-2019 Model S and X vehicles."

Yesterday I had a 220 mile trip to make in my 85D.

Left home with 110 miles of range. Got to the first Supercharger 55 miles away with 45 miles range on arrival.

Charged to 145 miles of range to make the 120 mile round trip to my destination and back to the same Supercharger.

Except the nav system showed -2% SOC to return to the same Supercharger as I departed.

On my return of my destination I had to stop at another supercharger on the way for 15 minutes to pick up enough charge to make my original and first supercharger stop.

I ended up doing three Supercharging sessions for 220 miles in a car that used to have range of 255 miles at 100% SOC!

Three months ago I would easily have made this journey with a single or perhaps two charging stops.

While the car is still lovely to drive long distance, the extra charging sessions, time wasted charging are really starting to make me question whether to keep the car or not.

So much so that a couple of weeks ago I test drove two different ICE vehicles as possible replacements.

With no access to home charging and a pretty unreliable public charging network, not owning a Tesla means not owning an EV for me at the moment.

All I really want is my car back the way it was prior to 2019.16.x and restored trust that Tesla will look after customers by ensuring that the driving and ownership experience remains as good as the day I purchased my car.

Another good example of what they have done to our cars at will.

This is totally unacceptable. Hopefully the lawsuit will hold them accountable.

Charged to 145 miles of range to make the 120 mile round trip to my destination and back to the same Supercharger.

Except the nav system showed -2% SOC to return to the same Supercharger as I departed.

On my return of my destination I had to stop at another supercharger on the way for 15 minutes to pick up enough charge to make my original and first supercharger stop.

I have always (since I first bought the car in 2013) found that I need to charge to at least 30% beyond the desired range (ie, charge to 130 miles indicated range for an actual drive of 100 miles) to compensate for speed and weather/road conditions. The range indicator on the car assumes you are driving at 55/65 mph. If you drive faster (such as on a highway with a 70 mph speed limit, or are driving uphill, in rain, snow, etc.) the energy consumption will be greater. You only added 20% beyond the distance you needed to travel. In my experience that is not enough.

You know it’s really sad Tesla is doing what they are doing I would have never believed it if you told me last year about batterygate.

Like everyone said earlier folks are still just finding out this is affecting them. Tesla has my new battery I have to wait three weeks to install on10/22. And will update if it’s capped I will definitely be checking miles at 90% before accepting it back.

Reactions: Droschke
... What would happen if ... an owner had a standard Range (or even a long range) car that now had 30 miles less range, as we all know, “Loss of Range is not covered under the Warranty”. Up that creek again I suspect.

“Loss of Range is not covered under the Warranty” is a total distraction and an excuse to avoid taking responsibility of what they have done to our batteries.

Here is the logic of it:

Our batteries have been intentionally crippled by this unauthorized capping ==> They are crippled because they are unexpectedly unsafe to hold high voltage ==> They are unsafe ==> They must be replaced.

If any of this logic is inaccurate ==> they would have not imposed capping in the first place OR they would have lifted it by this time.

I have always (since I first bought the car in 2013) found that I need to charge to at least 30% beyond the desired range (ie, charge to 130 miles indicated range for an actual drive of 100 miles) to compensate for speed and weather/road conditions. The range indicator on the car assumes you are driving at 55/65 mph. If you drive faster (such as on a highway with a 70 mph speed limit, or are driving uphill, in rain, snow, etc.) the energy consumption will be greater. You only added 20% beyond the distance you needed to travel. In my experience that is not enough.

30% extra is what I do as well. My winter consumption by itself is 30% higher than summer. Given this winter is the first with the capped batteries (along with other battery warming energy demands), we are in a much bigger surprise.

Last edited:
.. NTHSA started a probe into Tesla's software update limitation and stated that Tesla should have issued a recall on 2,000 suspected 85kW-equipped vehicles instead of virtually limiting the entire fleet.

Wow, did NHTSA or Engadget actually claim that? That they SHOULD HAVE issued a recall? Thats pretty serious if they did.

And I 100% agree with the rest of your post. Spot on.

"Musk says Tesla will be out of money in 10 months without ‘hardcore’ changes"

That 'quote' is actually a lie. Musk did not say that at all. What he said was that $2 billion in raised capital is really not that much money because that is what they are spending in 10 months (at that time, May 2019).
Normally I get very frustrated when it is pointed out that journalists have misquoted. But not in this instance. This time, it’s quite reassuring. I had spent most of today investigating he MB EQC, as I thought it was time to leave the sinking ship. Might hang in in there for a bit longer.

But, this clearly shows Tesla's recent claims (to owners complaining at the Service Center) that ALL early Model S are affected by the software updates are lies.
I’m sure I have read somewhere that all pre facelift S85s have been affected by Chargegate. I have no idea if that is true. Batterygate seems to have affected a much smaller group of cars.

I have certainly never heard of any pre facelift 90s that have been capped.

With v10 apparently increaing the ampount of cars capped by batterygate I think it's becoming safe to assume all cars are affected - but not all cars have been crippled yet. It's a matter of time, and that's why Tesla can't talk about it or fix it.

You have to wonder if this is why Porsche and Audi are advertised and sold with the caps in place.

Reactions: Droschke
Question for all the smart folks:

Our Model S is a 2014 vintage, so it is lacking in some of the newer bells and whistles. Our Model 3 is 19 months old.

I recall that there was an update earlier this year that provided some sort of battery preconditioning to allow the car's battery to be at the optimum temperature for the most efficient charge rate at a Supercharger. I understand that we have to dial the Supercharger into the navigation system for this preconditioning to kick in. I further believe that our Model S is too old, and cannot avail itself of this benefit.

Is it possible that this battery preconditioning software is tied to both batterygate and chargegate? In other words, Tesla detected that sub-optimum charging temperatures (see also posts from David 99) might have long-term deleterious effects on the battery when Supercharging? Was this software update coincidental or causal?

I don't think these two things are related. To get the full charge rate at a Supercharger your battery needs to be 25 Celsius or higher. As mentioned above I have monitored battery temperature over years now. At the supercharger the car would reduce charge rate when the battery was too cold and activate the battery heater. The software update just made the car smarter by heating up a cold battery en route. The ideal temperature point and reduced charge rate was already in place as long as I have my car (since 2014). On AC charging the lowest temperature for the battery to receive full charge rate of 10/20 kW is 8 degrees C. The highest temperature to get full speed at the supercharger is aprox 52 degrees Celsius. Once higher the charge rate is reduced.

As far as I can tell these things haven't changed with recent software updates. The only change is the enroute warmup and the previously mentioned extra cooling once the battery reaches aprox 88%.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
Normally I get very frustrated when it is pointed out that journalists have misquoted. But not in this instance. This time, it’s quite reassuring. I had spent most of today investigating he MB EQC, as I thought it was time to leave the sinking ship. Might hang in in there for a bit longer.

I'm also looking into the EQC. The reviews are very positive. On top of that, they are a well established and reputable company.