Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no point in asking Tesla to check the condition of your battery. Tesla will tell you the battery is fine. I’ve had my battery tested numerous times and they tell me it is 40% better than similar batteries if like age and mileage.

If you suspect your battery has been capped and you have an Android phone/tablet, I recommend you buy an OBDLink LX scanner (cost about $50), an adapter cable (cost about $25) and buy the app ScanMyTesla on the google play store (cost $10). If, like me, you are an iPhone user, you can buy an Android phone at Walmart for about $40 (I bought a Samsung J7 that they sell for prepaid use but I never activated it). With ScanMyTesla you will instantly be able to determine the capacity of your battery, the cell voltage, SOC range and much more information than you likely need.

Can’t believe I read and scanned through all 291 pages :( Decided to switch to scanning once I started to see a lot of tangents being brought in and also a lot of back and forth about nothing. Sure wish people would not have wasted people’s time with such ridiculousness:(

In any event, appreciate everyone’s efforts and information that was relevant to this topic!

I have a May 2015 85d with about 44,000km that went from 395km at 90% to 387 now (this was all after the May update that I think got to me closer to June). No where near as bad as others. Don’t know if I get throttled at SC as I don’t use them that often. Might need to go and take up a stall one weekend and test.

Again thanks to all those that have posted great and relevant information here and sure hope those that take away from the topic and think twice before they continue to waste people’s time and more importantly they stop trying to get on people’s nerves.

Thanks for spending your valuable time to scan through the whole thread. You must be well-informed about the issue and hopefully not waste any time by the ridiculous distractions some have tried in order to defend the indefensible. On the positive side, and like you have mentioned, there are plenty of facts and useful information in this thread we all have learned a lot from. :)

Did you try calling the number on the supercharger itself? I have done that at stations in very poor condition. With cords hanging over the charger because the clip to hang the plug is broken. One cord was laying in a water puddle on the ground. Gives potential customers a bad taste if they drive by and see that. It's as if tesla doesn't care. It was customer service that made tesla successful via word of mouth. I wonder what the opposite will do from the same group of people now that customer service has vaporized?
I did, that was the 1 hr wait.
I think the era of customer service is corporately over, although there are individual employee exceptions.
My point, in this thread, is that it appears something further than we have previously seen with slowing supercharging is occurring. Is tesla selectively encouraging some cars to avoid supercharging by dramatically slowing charging? Not clear that it is a station problem vs a car problem. I’m seeing this behavior at all paired Superchargers, but not at 72kW chargers.

I noticed a new behavior that might be related. When starting to charge at a Supercharger (from a low level) the AC compressor will turn on and start cooling the battery. The battery sometimes has a temperature north of 50 Celsius. As the cooling is happening and the charge rate drops, so does the battery temperature. At about 60% the AC usually ramps down as the cooling needs are reduced. It might turn off altogether once the battery temper is low enough. The battery temperature is now as low as 37 Celsius. Charging continues without the AC doing much or any work. But, and that is new, once the battery reaches a specific voltage the AC will kick in again strong and cools the battery down more aggressive and brings it down to below 30 C. The point at which the AC kicks in is when the cells reach the constant voltage charge point. It's around 4.184 Volt.

'Constant voltage charge' is when the charger won't let the cell voltage rise any more. It will supply just enough power to keep the voltage. The battery is aprox at 88%. As the battery is getting closer to full the charge rate is continuously reduced to keep the voltage at this limit. It's the standard method how to charge Lithium batteries to 100 % without damaging them or causing them to catch on fire. In Tesla's case the cell voltage will eventually go up to 4.2 Volt when at 100%.

It seems once the voltage is at that level temperature is more critical and needs to be reduced. This is definitely a new thing. It did not do this all those years I had my car. It seems it's a new safety feature. Anyone else notice this?
Yes, my car runs the cooling pumps more often, and for longer, during, and after supercharging sessions than before the theft.

I noticed a new behavior that might be related. When starting to charge at a Supercharger (from a low level) the AC compressor will turn on and start cooling the battery. The battery sometimes has a temperature north of 50 Celsius. As the cooling is happening and the charge rate drops, so does the battery temperature. At about 60% the AC usually ramps down as the cooling needs are reduced. It might turn off altogether once the battery temper is low enough. The battery temperature is now as low as 37 Celsius. Charging continues without the AC doing much or any work. But, and that is new, once the battery reaches a specific voltage the AC will kick in again strong and cools the battery down more aggressive and brings it down to below 30 C. The point at which the AC kicks in is when the cells reach the constant voltage charge point. It's around 4.184 Volt.
This is interesting, but I have to wonder why they wouldn't simply target a single battery temperature, or at least a scaled temperature based on SOC. Are you able to do a datalog of a Supercharger session with the following variables?
SOC, charge rate, max/min battery temperature, min/max battery module voltage, time

Reactions: DJRas
This is interesting, but I have to wonder why they wouldn't simply target a single battery temperature, or at least a scaled temperature based on SOC. Are you able to do a datalog of a Supercharger session with the following variables?
SOC, charge rate, max/min battery temperature, min/max battery module voltage, time
Yes, both of us have recordings of that data

Reactions: Droschke
There is no point in asking Tesla to check the condition of your battery. Tesla will tell you the battery is fine. I’ve had my battery tested numerous times and they tell me it is 40% better than similar batteries if like age and mileage.

A reputable company with a reputable customer service stands behind its products. That was my take on Tesla when I purchased my car from them in 2015. That impression started to fade when the customer service became mediocre and now entirely lost with this voltage cap shenanigan.

Imagine, we pick a date, all affected owners march their cars with signs (pay back my kW, Tesla steals my mileage and performance, etc..) in front of Fremont factory and local sale galleries. Doing this will gain publicity, local news, and impact on prospective buyers, as well as unaware affected owners.
I have three models S (2014 S85, 2014 P85, 2015 P85D), all capped and chargegated. I’m in SoCal, and willing to protest in Fremont to make an impact.

The best time to do this, IMHO, would be at the annual shareholder's meeting. Short of that, any scheduled live Tesla event should work.

I can only speculate, but the fact that the additional cooling kicks in right when the voltage hits the point where charging switches to constant voltage could mean that this is a state where the battery is at a higher risk and temperature is a factor that makes things worse.

I've been watching battery temperature in my car for years. The car doesn't try to keep the battery at a specific ideal temperature. A wide range seems to be acceptable. So this new behavior of cooling the battery down significantly at the cost of a good amount of energy is definitely something new. Tesla must think it's important.

In general the car does a lot more cooling recently. First I thought something is wrong with my car but it seems others experience similar things so it must be software changes. Looking at the data what the car is doing makes no sense and makes a lot of noise. But that's a different topic.

Yes I have lots of logs from the car. Some of it can be very interesting, especially when software changes how the car does things.

This battery warranty denial reminds me of this article. Musk says Tesla will be out of money in 10 months without ‘hardcore’ changes
Musk says Tesla will be out of money in 10 months without ‘hardcore’ changes
Both he and Tesla’s new CFO will personally review employee expenses.

When the local service center recommended they replace my battery due to battery gate and my complaints and recent purchase of the car in May they had to get approval from corporate so this is very true.

No, I’m comparing and contrasting a Supercharger station with paired stalls vs 72kW single stalls...
At a 72kW single stall, I get 72kW-initially.

Yes, you will receive 72kW if your battery SOC is low enough. But the taper starts more rapidly now. I used an urbancharger about six weeks ago, plugged in at 41%, and started out with 60ish kW, similar to the current that I would have received at a Supercharger.

Question for all the smart folks:

Our Model S is a 2014 vintage, so it is lacking in some of the newer bells and whistles. Our Model 3 is 19 months old.

I recall that there was an update earlier this year that provided some sort of battery preconditioning to allow the car's battery to be at the optimum temperature for the most efficient charge rate at a Supercharger. I understand that we have to dial the Supercharger into the navigation system for this preconditioning to kick in. I further believe that our Model S is too old, and cannot avail itself of this benefit.

Is it possible that this battery preconditioning software is tied to both batterygate and chargegate? In other words, Tesla detected that sub-optimum charging temperatures (see also posts from David 99) might have long-term deleterious effects on the battery when Supercharging? Was this software update coincidental or causal?