Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
dyacz9i.png

Obviously this is not a normal degradation case (not covered under warranty). It's a sudden and intentional capacity reduction.
Enlighten me please. Is the capacity (range) ACTUALLY reduced or is it possible that it simply shows it so? Perhaps the capacity gauge is not all that accurate so this is an attempt to insure that one charges up before going "bingo fuel" on batteries with some age on them?

Enlighten me please. Is the capacity (range) ACTUALLY reduced or is it possible that it simply shows it so? Perhaps the capacity gauge is not all that accurate so this is an attempt to insure that one charges up before going "bingo fuel" on batteries with some age on them?
The capacity is ACTUALLY reduced, as has been stated before in this thread..

The usable capacity in kWh is reduced. If you look at some of data the owners have provided in this thread you will notice the kWh lost, which translates to range loss.

• Informative
Reactions: petecrayton
Chaserr can you explain the battery voltage issue? I was under the impression that batteries at the end of their usable life tend to have a slight decrease in voltage due to increased internal resistance. This is readily quantified. What implication does the 100% SOC voltage have?

Not at rest, but the higher the IR, the higher the voltage drop under x load.

• Informative
Reactions: Matias
UPDATE: spoke with Tesla service, they remote diagnosed and had this to say:

Expected range drop on a small percentage of vehicles during that exact update.

Additional info: As part of our recent revision of the charge and thermal management settings on Model S and Model X vehicles to protect the battery and improve battery longevity, a very small percentage of owners who own older vehicles may notice a slight small reduction in range when charging to a maximum state of charge. The drop in charge is not expected to continue and should stabilize quickly This change is the result of the updated charging profile as well as increased cooling, which helps improve the overall health of the battery. Charging behavior will vary based on how the vehicle is driven, charged, and the age of the vehicle.

This is the first change they have ever made that prevents fully charging the battery. The only other instance I know of where a manufacturer did this was to prevent the Note 7 from blowing up and this was done as a safety measure until the owners of those phones could return them for a full 100% refund.

If this is their written statement that you've quoted, then they should immediately replace the batteries for those that have had more than a "slight small reduction" in range without delay.

And they should LIE about the SOC. If they're going to limit it to 97% or 95% or whatever, then THAT'S what it should display when it's charged as much as it can!!!