Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really????
I see Ideal Range as unobtainable. It is based on about 240 Wh per mile. My lifetime average is 320 Wh/mi. But I drive up and down hills (+/- 4,000 ft elevation charge).
Rated Range has NOTHING to do with the energy display. It is currently based on 276 Wh/mi on 85 kWh rwd cars.
Rated Range (at least in North America) is based on the EPA number (a fixed number). I never said it was based on the energy display, that's projected range.

Attachments

• Jul_5_2019.jpg
    Jul_5_2019.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 80
Reactions: Droschke and DJRas
Sorry... i misread something.
No problem. I do that frequently too. And yes, many people don't get Ideal Range, but it's not unobtainable. About half the miles in the photo are road trip miles (up to 5,000 miles/trip, most are 1,500-2,000) which are more energy intensive than urban driving, so the overall average is slightly more than 240 Wh/mi.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Rated Range (at least in North America) is based on the EPA number (a fixed number). I never said it was based on the energy display, that's projected range.
The Rated Range WAS based on the EPA rating at some point. But, that has been manipulated with various updates at least twice in the last 2 years.
Originally based on 295 Wh/mi.
Now 276 Wh/mi

The Rated Range WAS based on the EPA rating at some point. But, that has been manipulated with various updates at least twice in the last 2 years.
Now 276 Wh/mi
That's another reason why I don't use it. Ideal Range hasn't been manipulated from the original, as far as I know.

Rated range and ideal/ typical range are based on WLTP and EPA. They rename them for localizations but they're based on different official constants. "Rated" is your local official government rating, the other changes depending on whether you are in the US to be either more or less optimistic.

I am in the Chicagoland area where it's mostly flat. I use the tollway a lot and the speed depending on traffic and time of day is usually around 75mph. During mid fall and mid spring I get close to the rated 276 wh/mi sometimes more and sometimes less. I am currently at 320 wh/mi as the temperature is dropping. For me temperature makes a big difference in the rating.

• Informative
Reactions: DJRas and Droschke
Back to the topic.

Initially after 2019.16.x, I lost 30 miles. Later (after 2019.28.2 in August)10 miles were returned. The last supercharging (the same location) now shows another 2-3 miles taken away, leaving me with -22 miles net. Anyone else sees the same?

Reactions: DJRas
Back to the topic.

Initially after 2019.16.x, I lost 30 miles. Later (after 2019.28.2 in August)10 miles were returned. The last supercharging (the same location) now shows another 2-3 miles taken away, leaving me with -22 miles net. Anyone else sees the same?
I have dropped another couple of miles too. But it seems to have maybe continued normal degradation

Screenshot_20191026-082307_Chrome.jpg

Under 240 Wh/mi is possible. I managed it exactly once driving to work in my P85D.
59D9487A-380F-4608-8C41-BC6D540F053B.jpeg

231 Wh/mile on an early summer morning, not running the AC, battery likely didn’t need heat or cooling, favorable traffic patterns, no Ludicrous, etc. Next best was 247 Wh/mi.

Edit: without using Ludicrous, I average 290 to 300 Wh/mi on my commute. April through October. I’m sure that will increase soon.

Winter is Coming.

Last edited:
Now 276 Wh/mi
The 295 number is based on energy added to the battery. As far as I know, that has never been changed for the S 85. It doesn't mean Tesla has not ever changed it; I know in some cases for the model 3 it appears that they have.
@wk057 could verify if it has ever changed.

• Disagree
Under 240 Wh/mi is possible. I managed it exactly once driving to work in my P85D.
View attachment 470187
231 Wh/mile on an early summer morning, not running the AC, battery likely didn’t need heat or cooling, favorable traffic patterns, no Ludicrous, etc. Next best was 247 Wh/mi.

Edit: without using Ludicrous, I average 290 to 300 Wh/mi on my commute. April through October. I’m sure that will increase soon.

Winter is Coming.

Yes, I've had very similar low wh/mi in ideal condition and for a particular run.

The 245wh/mi @126k miles looks a record lifetime @jerry33 is showing.

At 44.8k miles, I'm showing 285wh/mi.

Monroney Label.jpg
The 295 number is based on energy added to the battery. As far as I know, that has never been changed for the S 85. It doesn't mean Tesla has not ever changed it; I know in some cases for the model 3 it appears that they have.
@wk057 could verify if it has ever changed.
No, 380 Wh/mi is the EPA energy put into the battery. 295 was discovered early 2017 by wk057. That is no longer the case.