Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It takes a hell of an accident to actually damage the battery pack to the point where physical damage can result in problems (short, fire, etc).

I've gotten cars that have been in rollovers, high speed collisions, and all sorts of accidents... and the vast majority had little to no damage done to the battery case, let alone to the cells.

For example... this car literally was driven off a mountain, rolled multiple times:
68b11a4d5c014fe98fa5

(The battery from this car was pulled, tested, and used in another vehicle with zero issues.)

In any case, physical damage in an accident has absolutely nothing to do with this thread (loss of range due to Tesla's updates).
This just further bolsters Ing's point that the August fires DO matter, and you seem to be claiming here it doesn't matter if the car is in an accident or not, it's not reasonable to expect them to catch fire because they almost never should. Is that what you're saying?

Reactions: Droschke
This just further bolsters Ing's point that the August fires DO matter, and you seem to be claiming here it doesn't matter if the car is in an accident or not, it's not reasonable to expect them to catch fire because they almost never should. Is that what you're saying?

This is obviously not what I am saying at all. Leave it to folks here to find a way to take something I post and interpret it in the exact opposite way it's written. :rolleyes:

Most accidents do not result in damage to the battery... and thus, the battery does not catch fire.

The accidents that DO result in damage to the battery are beyond extreme (ridiculously high energy impacts that rip through the car one way or another), and I'd expect the batteries to catch fire from physical crushing/shorting in almost all cases where the battery pack is significantly compromised.

Again, the battery pack is rarely compromised in most normal accidents, thus this isn't a problem. Accidents where you'd pretty much expect an ICE vehicle to catch fire are generally shrugged off by Tesla's without further incident and probably without injury. It's only extreme cases where anything different happens, and there's nothing any manufacturer can do about those cases short of building literal tanks.

I would love to see someone cite a Tesla accident where the battery pack was NOT physically compromised that resulted in a battery-started fire. I've seen zero of these, and I follow this stuff pretty heavily.

(I must be losing my mind for continuing to post here. I'm blaming this on some others who keep pointing me back here. I'm still literally rolling my eyes at how ridiculous it is that what I post is somehow twisted to be 180 degrees out of phase with reality by some posters here without fail.)

This is obviously not what I am saying at all. Leave it to folks here to find a way to take something I post and interpret it in the exact opposite way it's written. :rolleyes:

Most accidents do not result in damage to the battery... and thus, the battery does not catch fire.

The accidents that DO result in damage to the battery are beyond extreme (ridiculously high energy impacts that rip through the car one way or another), and I'd expect the batteries to catch fire from physical crushing/shorting in almost all cases where the battery pack is significantly compromised.

Again, the battery pack is rarely compromised in most normal accidents, thus this isn't a problem. Accidents where you'd pretty much expect an ICE vehicle to catch fire are generally shrugged off by Tesla's without further incident and probably without injury. It's only extreme cases where anything different happens, and there's nothing any manufacturer can do about those cases short of building literal tanks.

I would love to see someone cite a Tesla accident where the battery pack was NOT physically compromised that resulted in a battery-started fire. I've seen zero of these, and I follow this stuff pretty heavily.

(I must be losing my mind for continuing to post here. I'm blaming this on some others who keep pointing me back here. I'm still literally rolling my eyes at how ridiculous it is that what I post is somehow twisted to be 180 degrees out of phase with reality by some posters here without fail.)

This was not an accident in this case, but did they ever conclude what happened to actor Mary McCormack's Tesla when it caught fire?

The NTSB just released a new report on the Tesla Model S that mysteriously caught fire in the middle of the street

Initial report stated the first started with a single module in the battery, but I don't think much else has been stated. I wonder if it had been recently charging like the other Tesla fires that happened in China and Belgium during first half of 2019.

..... Set the battery on fire.....

I stand by my theory that most, if not all, of these spontaneous non-accident fires are arson

Do you have any evidence to support that theory?

there's guaranteed to be no evidence

Ah, OK. :rolleyes:

But seriously, what are you basing your idea that arson is (often) involved?

Desparate short seller?
I'll get it before it gets me?
'Gates' means they can't get out from under finance deal to sell their car?
Hatred of Tesla?
General anger management issues?

Bricks in washing machines and smashing up computers in rage fit would be nothing at the side of sticking a nail through yourTesla battery. (No incitement. Don't do it.) Yet no viral videos yet.

So.... ?

BTW, after that picture of the non-combusted roll-over in your shop, I'm guessing a match in the gas tank won't set fire to the car.

It takes a hell of an accident to actually damage the battery pack to the point where physical damage can result in problems (short, fire, etc).

Although....... leaving a car sitting at 100% SOC could be complicated to use as evidence for arson and it certainly wouldn't be so dramatic on YouTube!

Last edited:
Do you have any evidence to support that theory?

Just a theory that fits. Call it a conspiracy theory if you must, but it definitely wouldn't be difficult to fit to all of the "spontaneous" non-accident fires we've seen. And lots of reasons for people to do it, especially since it's a guaranteed win for them regardless. The car burns, no one can prove arson because of the ways you can start the fire without... well, fire or chemicals or whatever. It's always an insurance win for the owner... double win if it damages other property of theirs. And then the person claims the car spontaneously burst into flames, blame the unsafe Tesla battery!

Lots of little details from all of the cases (which are not many), plus everything I know about these cars and batteries, lead me to believe arson is the most probable cause of these incidents. Could be wrong, but it seems pretty likely to me.

it seems pretty likely to me.

I'd agree not impossible, but don't think I could go for 'quite likely' without more evidence. My opinion is more evidence and liklihood that 'Lithium battery' factors are the cause of more (of the few) fires than arson.

Need more evidence.

Last edited:
I really doubt that the well known and wealthy actress Mary McCormack committed arson, and knew enough to have it happen while driving the vehicle. Actually it was her husband driving, so maybe she was trying to get rid of him.

I was thinking the same way. She's a smart lady if she can trigger a fire at a particular moment. Maybe a hypnosis thing where she gave her hubby a coded message by phone and he did the deed! Hard to see the 'arson with no evidence' angle at the moment.

Last edited:
I was thinking the same way. She's a smart lady if she can trigger a fire at a particular moment. Maybe a hypnosis thing where she gave her hubby a coded message by phone and he did the deed! Hard to see the arson with no evidence' angle at the moment.
actually someone almost got away (Tesla originally paid the claim)

Tesla says someone fired a bullet into battery pack of a Model S that caught on fire - Electrek

(Within 5 days of the incident, Tesla quickly offered a deal to Schneider to keep quiet about his Model S catching on fire and in return, they offered to take care of his loan and quickly get him a new car with a free extended warranty.)

actually someone almost got away (Tesla originally paid the claim)

Tesla says someone fired a bullet into battery pack of a Model S that caught on fire - Electrek

(Within 5 days of the incident, Tesla quickly offered a deal to Schneider to keep quiet about his Model S catching on fire and in return, they offered to take care of his loan and quickly get him a new car with a free extended warranty.)
I was thinking explosives could be too easy to trace. But I forget just how common guns are over there too.

And this:

Within 5 days of the incident, Tesla quickly offered a deal to Schneider to keep quiet about his Model S catching on fire

Sounds like there could be some concern from within Tesla that this could have been down to them.

But you are right, you should never rely on assumptions.

Last edited:
There's lots of evidence from Tesla.

Tesla vehicle fire in Shanghai caused by single battery module – TechCrunch

There they say the fire was caused by a "Single module" - not arson but the battery module itself. They also say it's in the front - which happens to be 2 modules stacked on top of each other, where more heat will build up. Heat is not a problem unless you have lithium plating causing self-heated cells to burst and a chain reaction follows. Tesla publicly announced this hardware problem and publicly announced the response was going to be "charge and thermal settings" - what we now call batterygate, chargegate, and now draingate as they realized the self-heating problem is permanent. Tesla isn't punishing everyone because of an arsonist.

Arson is a red herring. Don't be fooled, Tesla already admitted they know the cause of these fires and our battery problems are their response. This is a safety problem and an unsafe cover up. Nobody is denying that fact.

Last edited:
I mean, yeah, if I wanted to set my car on fire I'd start the fire in a single module too. This means nothing to me.

(Also, where's the actual statement from Tesla? ..... Some random news site saying something is the case is not in any way shape or form "evidence from Tesla". I don't know why I bother asking for such sources here anyway... same people just make these things up consistently.)

There's probably a dozen ways I can think of to start a fire in a single module without literally setting it on fire... many of which would be significantly delayed (like, get it setup, go for a drive, freak out later when the fire starts when you coincidentally have no one else with you this time.... or park somewhere and come back to a flaming wreck).

If anyone wants to donate their S or X to science, we could make a good video of it. lol

I stand by my theory that most, if not all, of these spontaneous non-accident fires are arson and/or insurance fraud. Again, it's the perfect cover for such a scam. Set the battery on fire, and there's guaranteed to be no evidence to prove anything one way or the other. Just blame the evil battery!

I mean, yeah, if I wanted to set my car on fire I'd start the fire in a single module too. This means nothing to me.

(Also, where's the actual statement from Tesla? ..... Some random news site saying something is the case is not in any way shape or form "evidence from Tesla". I don't know why I bother asking for such sources here anyway... same people just make these things up consistently.)

There's probably a dozen ways I can think of to start a fire in a single module without literally setting it on fire... many of which would be significantly delayed (like, get it setup, go for a drive, freak out later when the fire starts when you coincidentally have no one else with you this time.... or park somewhere and come back to a flaming wreck).

If anyone wants to donate their S or X to science, we could make a good video of it. lol

How much is Tesla paying you?

Hi, i am also impacted by the battery degradation due to firmware upgrade. I have been following this threat since more than a year now. Thank you all for your valuable comments / sharing of experience.
Does anyone know what the current state of this file is ? I mean
1. what is the latest official feedback received from Tesla about this battery degradation issue ?
2. what is the status of the class action lawsuit ? When can we expect outcome and what can we expect from it ?
3. All by recommandation on what to do next about this issue?

thanks for your feedback

Reactions: bhzmark
Hi, i am also impacted by the battery degradation due to firmware upgrade. I have been following this threat since more than a year now. Thank you all for your valuable comments / sharing of experience.
Does anyone know what the current state of this file is ? I mean
1. what is the latest official feedback received from Tesla about this battery degradation issue ?
2. what is the status of the class action lawsuit ? When can we expect outcome and what can we expect from it ?
3. All by recommandation on what to do next about this issue?

thanks for your feedback

Most of the info you are interested in is under the "Latest" portion of the Post#1, right on the top. Use "The Latest Docket Entries" link.

What to do next? Sit tight and see what the lawsuit will bring.

• Helpful
Reactions: Chaserr