Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sudden Unexpected Acceleration today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This story reminds me of the claim one Bolt owner made saying their Bolt backed itself into a garage wall by itself with no one in the car. Bolt went Skynet.
Bolt self started/moved, and backed into garage wall/cabinet - Chevrolet Bolt EV Forum

Commonality with this post? The wife reported the incident to the husband.
The Skynet Bolt story ended being "wife wrecked Bolt, lied about it going Skynet to save face".
I have a feeling this post will end the same too.

What some in this thread may not appreciate is the difference between an ICE and an EV with regen and the beauty of one pedal driving.

Perhaps the muscle memory of lifting off the accelerator, which in essence equates to hitting the brakes on an ICE, might, in a panic situation, lead one to forget where their foot is positioned. After all, just having lifted my foot and feeling the braking effect it has, and seeing the need to stomp on the brakes for whatever reason, could potentially mean stomping on the accelerator instead as that’s where my foot is positioned.

I hit my brakes with my left foot, so I can’t say for certain that’s what may be happening to some, but it’s a logical conclusion IMHO.

What some in this thread may not appreciate is the difference between an ICE and an EV with regen and the beauty of one pedal driving.

Perhaps the muscle memory of lifting off the accelerator, which in essence equates to hitting the brakes on an ICE, might, in a panic situation, lead one to forget where their foot is positioned. After all, just having lifted my foot and feeling the braking effect it has, and seeing the need to stomp on the brakes for whatever reason, could potentially mean stomping on the accelerator instead as that’s where my foot is positioned.

I hit my brakes with my left foot, so I can’t say for certain that’s what may be happening to some, but it’s a logical conclusion IMHO.

This has been hypothesized by others.
As a first test, I would love to see data on how often SUA events happen. Then, compare that rate to the rate of SUA events in electric cars with regen on the accelerator.
I suspect they don’t differ by much.

• Love
Reactions: mal_tsla
This has been hypothesized by others.
As a first test, I would love to see data on how often SUA events happen. Then, compare that rate to the rate of SUA events in electric cars with regen on the accelerator.
I suspect they don’t differ by much.

I'd hypothesize that the rate of SUA is greater in Tesla's than regular ICE cars though NHTSA's claim is 16000 per year for pedal misapplication.

If it's found that battery regen is behind the reason why Teslas are more susceptible to a driver pressing the wrong pedal, then something needs to be done to change the design as it is a flaw. Hundreds of NHTSA cases on Teslas with people wrapping their cars around trees, houses, walls, and other cars is not something to be trivialized despite what the majority of the forum might be saying. A value of human life is far greater than any technology - no matter how cool it might be. And it's a simple fix - turn off regen completely by default. Allow a driver to change the setting by accepting a liability waiver similar to Autopilot.

I am a big Tesla supporter for what they want to do - change the world and the paradigm of transportation while "trying to make" the worlds safest car. Yes they are safe for those inside them however I would be careful walking past them (either front or behind) on crosswalks, parking lots etc. for whatever might be the reason.

Here's another eerily similar example here in AZ that happened on Friday as well - a fluke you say???? -

Sudden Unintended Acceleration

Yes, and thank you for pointing that fact out.

Correct; I've joined the me too movement in this thread because it can't be pointed out enough.

Restating a untested hypothesis doesn't make it any more true.
If your hypothesis is false, restating it multiple times takes focus away from real issues of safety.
IF it is true, I agree with you completely.

I'd hypothesize that the rate of SUA is greater in Tesla's than regular ICE cars though NHTSA's claim is 16000 per year for pedal misapplication.

If it's found that battery regen is behind the reason why Teslas are more susceptible to a driver pressing the wrong pedal, then something needs to be done to change the design as it is a flaw. Hundreds of NHTSA cases on Teslas with people wrapping their cars around trees, houses, walls, and other cars is not something to be trivialized despite what the majority of the forum might be saying. A value of human life is far greater than any technology - no matter how cool it might be. And it's a simple fix - turn off regen completely by default. Allow a driver to change the setting by accepting a liability waiver similar to Autopilot.
Regen is essential for efficiency. Turning it off by default and drastically decreasing range isn't an acceptable "solution" this "problem."

Reactions: lukex4 and mal_tsla

I am a big Tesla supporter for what they want to do - change the world and the paradigm of transportation while "trying to make" the worlds safest car. Yes they are safe for those inside them however I would be careful walking past them (either front or behind) on crosswalks, parking lots etc. for whatever might be the reason.

Here's another eerily similar example here in AZ that happened on Friday as well - a fluke you say???? -

Sudden Unintended Acceleration
For being as open minded and "waiting for the facts" as you claim to be you seem to be very quick to suggest fixes and point out issues with the car.

It is my understanding that accelerator pedal regen is much stronger in several non-Tesla EV's, such as BMW i3, Bolt, Leaf. If regen is a factor in SUA/pedal misapplication then perhaps these EV's would have a higher rate than Teslas. Anyone know?

For being as open minded and "waiting for the facts" as you claim to be you seem to be very quick to suggest fixes and point out issues with the car.
Ah, you must be using the old, outdated definition of the word "facts." Nowadays, we make up our mind first and then cherry pick the data that fits, all while exclaiming to anyone who listens how open minded we are.

*snip*

And it's a simple fix - turn off regen completely by default. Allow a driver to change the setting by accepting a liability waiver similar to Autopilot.

*snip*

Yes they are safe for those inside them however I would be careful walking past them (either front or behind) on crosswalks, parking lots etc. for whatever might be the reason.

What?

Your wife crashed your model 3 while creep was on and she was parking. There's no Regen at play in your SUA scenario. This now feels like a desperate reach to blame the car.

By your logic we need to be careful walking past certain DRIVERS, not certain CARS.

I'm sure when he has the facts, he'll be back here posting those facts so that no one gets the wrong impression. :) Because that would be the ethical thing to do.

Hi Folks,

Long time TMC lurker, however first time poster. I wish my first post would have been about the excitement of getting my M3. However, I have a much serious topic to post about.

Today while out for shopping my wife met with an accident in the parking lot of a grocery store here in Chandler, AZ. She is badly shaken up. Issue occurred while trying to park the vehicle in a parking lot of a grocery store. The vehicle was in the parking space position when it suddenly accelerated without any input from her. She said she applied the brakes, however they felt inoperative. It felt as though the driver had no control over braking and the vehicle had a mind of its own.

She turned the steering wheel to avoid directly hitting a dumpster while trying to brake. The passenger side of the vehicle then hit a curb and a concrete wall. After the impact, she managed to turn the vehicle while applying the brakes that eventually brought the vehicle to a stop.

My wife called Tesla, however they were of not much help. The service center individual instructed my wife that they could not tow the car to the service center given the car had suffered damage and they can only accept cars after the damage has been fixed. Not in the state to argue, we called our insurance and had our car towed to a Tesla authorized repair shop.

I know there are several cases registered with NHTSA and I even found class action lawsuit against Tesla regarding sudden or unintended acceleration, I feel mine is the first case of a Model 3 with behavior that has been seen with S or X several times. What is surprising that EVERY instance of this case has pointed to driver error. I find it ridiculous to dismiss people reporting a serious security flaw with a vehicle to saying - the logs show 100% accelerator press by the driver as the car will NOT do ANYTHING the driver does not intend for it to do. Then how do you explain an individual's reaction to STOMP on the wrong pedal while they are trying to ease into a parking spot?? - it is illogical and irrational to ever surmise that a driver's who's so familiar with the concept of regen braking will press the (wrong) pedal so hard that the car would suddenly accelerate like crazy.

What she went through today is very disconcerting and unsettling. My confidence in cutting edge technology is shaken that helps Tesla to beat other automakers in making technologically forward vehicles. I have been a software professional my entire career and can understand bugs / glitches in the Software. It is one thing to not be able to control volume of the radio of my car (as it happened last night while driving from our friend's house, the left scroll button kept moving the steering wheel even though the option was not enabled), it scary to even think of the car doing what it did! The consequences could have been catastrophic. I am thankful that she is safe as there was the wall protecting her from cross traffic on the main street.

Please be careful, cognizant, and caring of your loved ones.

View attachment 298881 View attachment 298882 View attachment 298883

Thanks, I’ll be sure to cancel my order right away and buy a Range Rover. Frickin Elon With his cars driving people into other cars all the time. It hasn’t happened to me yet after 25,000 miles but now after reading your post, I know it’s roulette. Time to cancel my order and sell my car. Thanks again.