TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Summary of A vs B battery issue?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by pbleic, Feb 23, 2014.

1. pbleic

pbleic Member

I just ordered and keep reading references to A and B batteries and an issue with the former.

Can someone summarize this? Is it "official" or forum speculation?

2. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

You shouldn't be affected with a car delivered in 2014. But, just to be safe, I'd check the battery pack's part number before accepting delivery.

There is an exhausting, 144-page thread on the subject. Executive Summary: Yes, it's 'official', and you don't want an A pack.

Older Tesla's limited to 90kW super charging - Page 143

3. Cheerose

Cheerose Member

How can you find the battery part #?

4. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

5. AndreyATC

AndreyATC Member

What's the minimum VIN to assume you have B pack?
    I guess at some point they switched from A to B within certain VIN ranges

6. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

The "issue" with the first-revision pack is that it is limited to 90 kW charging at Superchargers. For some people, it's a Big Thing(tm). For others, it's not. I have (perhaps had, we'll see what happens Monday) an "A" pack and I'm not particularly concerned because I've supercharged three times in 15 months of ownership. Other people who use them more may care.

7. Musterion

Musterion 18h 03m 37s −24° 23′ 12″

For 85kWh, the highest reported A battery VIN is mine, 9331. However there were mixed A and B deliveries before then. After 9448, all batteries were B or higher. You can check this table for more details: Battery table - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

Note that the A vs B distinction does not apply to 60kWh, as they are a different part number and were the newer battery types even in original revision.

8. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Yes, mine is a B at 5130. Guess I should have purchased a lottery ticket while I was at it :)

9. AndreyATC

AndreyATC Member

I guess it's safe to assume i've got B pack, since my vin is 16xxx

10. Kalud

Kalud Member

11. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Indeed. And just to add to that, there are now concerns regarding a different degradation profile and reliability (as FlasherZ has recently learned). Wrt the former, there is insufficient evidence to reach a conclusion. However on the latter point, we do know that Tesla has replaced a fair number of A packs that have failed. For Sigs, the failure rate seems far greater than 1%, which is concerning.

Back on topic though, all new deliveries are configured with B or better batteries and you needn't worry about getting stuck with an A.

12. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

I just want to be fair - the problem I experienced last night has not implicated (yet) the battery pack. It correlates very closely with others who have said that the drive inverter was the failed item and only in certain cases were battery packs replaced. I'll check in when I have more information.

13. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

The concerns regarding A vs. B are:
    1. 120 kW charging support
    2. Taper algorithm with supercharging (different on A than on B)
    3. Degradation profile

I don't see #2 discussed earlier in this thread, but it was discussed in depth in the original thread before #3 was even raised.