TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Summon cancelled when hand over proximity sensor...

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by Dana1, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Dana1

Dana1 Supporting Member

I was playing with Summon, and it works great, though I got an error message. It said Summon cancelled due to hand being over proximity sensor on phone. This confuses me a bit. I understand the car is linked to the phone but I don’t understand the bit about a proximity sensor.

• Like x 1
  2. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Member

Your phone has a proximity sensor, typically located above the screen by the earpiece speaker. It's primarily used to disable the screen during calls when you have the phone up against your face and to detect when the phone is in a pocket/bag or face down to avoid errant screen activations.

Presumably, the Tesla app checks the proximity sensor when using Summon as a quasi check of being in a pocket/bag. Last thing you'd want is a freak combination of screen presses that accidentally backs your Tesla up remotely without your knowledge. Same reason the S lost press-and-hold on the key fob to lower all the windows.

• Informative x 2
  3. Dana1

Dana1 Supporting Member

Wow, thanks! I had no idea...love learning stuff.

4. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

Just got 26.3 and tried to use summon. At first it worked maybe a third of the time then it stopped working completely with the phone proximity error.
    After checking the forum and messing with various settings with no success I took off the Galaxy S8 protective cover off. No luck. So I took a safety pin and very carefully "cleaned" out the proximity sensor.
    Didn't notice any dirt but now it works perfectly. Will have to keep my pockets cleaner:)

5. crackers8199

crackers8199 Member

not to hijack the thread, but random question: can you use summon while sitting in the car or do you have to get out and put it in park first?

6. thimel

thimel Member

In a model S you can sit in the car and use it. That is how I first tested it.

7. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

you can sit it while using summon, it fells odd though :)

8. Stratto

Stratto New Member

How do you clean a proximity sensor?

9. Stratto

Stratto New Member

Remove your case, and remove any screen protector, and clean your iPhone thoroughly. A cloth for cleaningspectacles is one of the best things to use. Check if the proximity sensor is working by making a call whilst stood in front of a mirror, and seeing if the screen dims as you lift your iPhone to your ear.