Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon cancelled when hand over proximity sensor...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was playing with Summon, and it works great, though I got an error message. It said Summon cancelled due to hand being over proximity sensor on phone. This confuses me a bit. I understand the car is linked to the phone but I don’t understand the bit about a proximity sensor.

Reactions: AZRI11
Your phone has a proximity sensor, typically located above the screen by the earpiece speaker. It's primarily used to disable the screen during calls when you have the phone up against your face and to detect when the phone is in a pocket/bag or face down to avoid errant screen activations.

Presumably, the Tesla app checks the proximity sensor when using Summon as a quasi check of being in a pocket/bag. Last thing you'd want is a freak combination of screen presses that accidentally backs your Tesla up remotely without your knowledge. Same reason the S lost press-and-hold on the key fob to lower all the windows.

Your phone has a proximity sensor, typically located above the screen by the earpiece speaker. It's primarily used to disable the screen during calls when you have the phone up against your face and to detect when the phone is in a pocket/bag or face down to avoid errant screen activations.

Presumably, the Tesla app checks the proximity sensor when using Summon as a quasi check of being in a pocket/bag. Last thing you'd want is a freak combination of screen presses that accidentally backs your Tesla up remotely without your knowledge. Same reason the S lost press-and-hold on the key fob to lower all the windows.
Wow, thanks! I had no idea...love learning stuff.

Just got 26.3 and tried to use summon. At first it worked maybe a third of the time then it stopped working completely with the phone proximity error.
After checking the forum and messing with various settings with no success I took off the Galaxy S8 protective cover off. No luck. So I took a safety pin and very carefully "cleaned" out the proximity sensor.
Didn't notice any dirt but now it works perfectly. Will have to keep my pockets cleaner:)

Just got 26.3 and tried to use summon. At first it worked maybe a third of the time then it stopped working completely with the phone proximity error.
After checking the forum and messing with various settings with no success I took off the Galaxy S8 protective cover off. No luck. So I took a safety pin and very carefully "cleaned" out the proximity sensor.
Didn't notice any dirt but now it works perfectly. Will have to keep my pockets cleaner:)
How do you clean a proximity sensor?

How do you clean a proximity sensor?
Remove your case, and remove any screen protector, and clean your iPhone thoroughly. A cloth for cleaningspectacles is one of the best things to use. Check if the proximity sensor is working by making a call whilst stood in front of a mirror, and seeing if the screen dims as you lift your iPhone to your ear.

Hmmm,
Have the same problem with Samsung s8 and s9...both brand new phones. Tried with Pixel(?) and worked fine.
Looks to be an android problem. The proximity sensor is behind the glass? So no digging out dirt.

I now have that problem too with my MS, and there is nothing blocking my iPhone11 proximity sensor!
Have you tried the above mentioned "mirror check?" Stand in front of a mirror, place a call, then bring the phone up to your ear. Look in the mirror. If the prox sensor is working correctly, your screen will go dark. If it's not working, the screen will stay lit.

First there was the "butt dial." Now there's the "butt summon." Love modern life.

Reactions: jjrandorin