Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon - not working from app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model S is 2016 model, so I have forward and backwards.

Recently, when I have tested moving the car, via the app, it start by saying that it is connecting to the car. Then I press and hold forward or Back ut it fails consistently. On occasion it will fold in the wing mirrors but that's all.

Remedies/experiences welcome. It's not a desperate need but could be useful!

What version software? Did it ever work?

Summon was recently knobled (in 2016.16?) to meet Euro regs. ie Bluetooth only and only within certain range (so Bluetooth is probably the limiting factor) and operator must constantly hold the buttons which you seem to be doing.

I use it 6 or 7 times a week and it always works, although no necessarily first time. Sometimes it will fail on the first attempt but work on the second. Rarely is it worse than that.

If having pressed the back/forward button the steering wheel and dash don't respond immediately then it's not going to work. I immediately release the button and have to wait for 10/15 seconds while it sorts itself out and the greyed out back/forward enable again. On second press and hold, I find 9/10 times it works. In fact I used it today and a chap parking his car nearby had his jaw on the ground :D.

I've used it ever since getting the car (2.5 years) and it's arguably more reliable now than it used to be. I have found it works better if the phone has a cellular rather than a wi-fi connection.

I use it 6 or 7 times a week and it always works, although no necessarily first time. Sometimes it will fail on the first attempt but work on the second. Rarely is it worse than that.

I use it every day - I have to. I'd win a prize for the tightest garaged Tesla in the UK!
Anyway I echo @DJP31 's experience. Summon is flaky but persistence usually wins in the end.
I'm using the original Google Pixel XL - so blue-tooth - from the phone's point of view, should not be the problem.

This latest V10 update did cause a problem, though.
The car was safely ensconced in the garage when the update was released. I suspect the update messed with the Tesla App, as it failed to communicate with the car - just stayed greyed out.
I tried restarting the app and and rebooting the phone, without success.
Then eventually squeezed myself down the side of the car, opened the door - all of 4 inches - got my arm in and lowered the window.
I then tried rebooting the car (two steering buttons) but that had no effect - screen stayed blank.
So, eventually I bit the bullet and climbed in through the window and took control of the car!

Reactions: IanMcL
Ahhhh! Wish I had known that bit earlier. A security features of sorts? In case your fob is laying around and some idiot decides to try it out themselves? Does that mean my phone has to also be blue tooth connected to the car at the same time prior to the summon command? If so how does that work if the car is off? when I unlock it will it automatically try to connect to my phone via bluetooth? Hmm guess will try and see once I am in the app. Would generally prefer to use the fob rather than the summon feature built into the app for convenience purposes.

My experience using summon on a 2019 Raven MX is exactly as described in post 5. I have to use it to get the car in and out of a tight garage and can usually get it to work 2nd or 3rd time round. The worst case is when the car sometimes stops half way out of the garage for some unknown reason and I can’t get summon to reconnect. It sometimes gets moving again using smart summon but if not it’s a case of climbing in through the rear hatch, over the seats and driving it out myself!!

Summon on my 2016 S is back and forward...if it works. Sometimes, it just fails, other times it seems to lock on...then fails.

Once, every now and then, it will move!

My best experience was with my partners Spanish friends, who were visiting UK last Summer. Very interested in Tesla. Took video of auto pilot in action...made me look to them in back seat, as car was in auto pilot.

I picked them up from the local pub, that evening. They had been talking about the Tesla, they said and all it needed was for the car to come to them, instead of walking to the car.

"Tesla does that already, albeit hit and miss".

Doubt on their faces. Pulling their leg?

We went outside to the car which was just about 20 yards away. I took a few steps then said...wait here and let's see if the car will come.

Tried a couple of times...nothing. Then bingo, proper connection and car joined us.

They could not get over it!

Hadn’t used Summon much but tonight wanted to move it from the garage during a heavy rain for a fresh water wash down.

Each time I clicked on summon in the app (on iPhone) it said “Connecting” then nothing and told me to “Reconnect”. Never did connect. I’m on 2020.24.6.1.

I see a string of problems with this going back several years. Not encouraging.

anyone find a consistent solution?