Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is just something that bothers me as the car is sold with this feature. When it comes to other things they are honest:

Coming later this year:
  • Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs.
  • Automatic driving on city streets.
Now I bought the car off specs online and the showroom employees. Now that I found the forum it is clear that Summon basically backs up or into a spot, that's it. It does not in any way shape or form come find you in a parking lot.

How does Tesla not get sued over this? Sell a car with a feature that obviously does not have the capabilities.

Just my random thoughts as I was disappointed when I learned that Summons is not as advertised. I am also very doubtful of Automatic driving on city streets going live this year. I know it'll happen but it shouldn't be sold as coming soon or available now when it isn't.

...Sell a car with a feature that obviously does not have the capabilities....

Legal fine print disclaimers at the bottom of the order web page when you ordered yours:

Essentially it says, in my words: You will get what you paid for in some uncertain day in future if and only if:

1) Those features will pass all validated testings
2) They will be approved by the government

We love sweet talks from marketings but not harsh reality from legal disclaimers.

Reactions: Ludalicious
lol yes, I watched this persons video of the car pulling out of a parking spot and was shocked how they waited 3 minutes for the process.

But to hit the auto summons at a mall, theater etc would be a great feature.

It's a cool feature, but I'm certain -- especially at a mall or theater -- impatient drivers behind the summoned car will be super pissed having to creep along behind it while it navigates to its owner (who could, otherwise, have just walked to the car). Would be cool in a nearly empty parking lot though.

It's a cool feature, but I'm certain -- especially at a mall or theater -- impatient drivers behind the summoned car will be super pissed having to creep along behind it while it navigates to its owner (who could, otherwise, have just walked to the car). Would be cool in a nearly empty parking lot though.
Cool? at 74 years of age I could walk to the car and back and then back to the car again in the time it takes to come to the summoner's location. Useful perhaps only for someone severely handicapped but somehow still able to get into a MS and drive it? :)

Cool? at 74 years of age I could walk to the car and back and then back to the car again in the time it takes to come to the summoner's location. Useful perhaps only for someone severely handicapped but somehow still able to get into a MS and drive it? :)

Well, I meant from a technological perspective. It's cool that you can essentially control your vehicle remotely. The practicality (or necessity) of the feature is another matter.

You state that 'specs online' claimed you would immediately get enhanced summon. Where did you see that?
Oh, it wasn't actually written in the specs???

But you understood from the salesperson that you would be getting it right away. And there is just no chance that you misunderstood about the timing of the feature? That maybe the salesperson was excited about a new and imminent feature? Certainly, the problem could not be that you misunderstood one of the many unique details about your Tesla - perish the thought.

Well you clearly are in the right here: you should sue Tesla for everything that you expected, but didn't get. That would make the world such a better place. Imagine how much better Tesla would be for it (and all us owners). (Sarcasm - in case you miss that too)

So are you going to be one of those posters that comes on here and whines about everything you misunderstood, but didn't bother taking the time to search out before whining about it?

Reactions: rush6410
New technologies go through a lot of time and validation to make it work the way its intended. If my car is going to navigate a crowded parking lot on its own, i dont want that technology to be any less than perfect. We've already seen what happens when you rush new features (737 MAX anyone?)

To answer the OP, Advanced Summon is rolling out to a lot of people now, so yes your tesla will find you in a parking lot. Not false advertising there, seeing how tesla doesn't even advertise. And any monkey with a google search would've found quickly on the internet a lot of features are in beta or not available yet. Idk about you, but when i bought my $113k vehicle, i spent a good amount of time researching its features...

Reactions: posity
This is just something that bothers me as the car is sold with this feature. When it comes to other things they are honest:

Coming later this year:
  • Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs.
  • Automatic driving on city streets.
Now I bought the car off specs online and the showroom employees. Now that I found the forum it is clear that Summon basically backs up or into a spot, that's it. It does not in any way shape or form come find you in a parking lot.

How does Tesla not get sued over this? Sell a car with a feature that obviously does not have the capabilities.

Just my random thoughts as I was disappointed when I learned that Summons is not as advertised. I am also very doubtful of Automatic driving on city streets going live this year. I know it'll happen but it shouldn't be sold as coming soon or available now when it isn't.

Are you saying that Tesla should be sued for adding features? Or are you saying that summon coming and fine you is something that currently isn't there. Or that something coming later this year isn't here yet.

I have no idea where you would find a statement that says that summons will come and find you without a huge disclaimer attached.

You state that 'specs online' claimed you would immediately get enhanced summon. Where did you see that?
Oh, it wasn't actually written in the specs???

But you understood from the salesperson that you would be getting it right away. And there is just no chance that you misunderstood about the timing of the feature? That maybe the salesperson was excited about a new and imminent feature? Certainly, the problem could not be that you misunderstood one of the many unique details about your Tesla - perish the thought.

Well you clearly are in the right here: you should sue Tesla for everything that you expected, but didn't get. That would make the world such a better place. Imagine how much better Tesla would be for it (and all us owners). (Sarcasm - in case you miss that too)

So are you going to be one of those posters that comes on here and whines about everything you misunderstood, but didn't bother taking the time to search out before whining about it?

Misunderstood? Says so right on the order form. It is not listed as coming soon.
C698843F-187C-4AEE-BA16-FD258E8466CE.jpeg

Are you saying that Tesla should be sued for adding features? Or are you saying that summon coming and fine you is something that currently isn't there. Or that something coming later this year isn't here yet.

I have no idea where you would find a statement that says that summons will come and find you without a huge disclaimer attached.

Find it right smack in the middle of the order page with no asterisk nor associated disclaimer directly pertaining to it.

Misunderstood? Says so right on the order form. It is not listed as coming soon.
View attachment 390689
They change their order page all the time. If you custom order a new vehicle from them and it is produced and delivered after the point when they moved that out of the coming soon section, it will probably have that feature. However, if you ordered an inventory vehicle after looking at the options for ordering now, then you may have gotten one that was created before the site said that, and as most Tesla employees will even tell you they practically have "model months" you can hardly complain about last month's model not coming with this month's feature, especially while that feature will likely be delivered in an update. Further, and this would be your only legitimate reason to complain (outside of never getting the feature / unless the site was saying that before they could deliver it, which would take some research to prove one way or the other), if you ordered a new vehicle from the site when it said that, but they delivered an inventory model that happened to match your specifications, it might not have that update yet.

Did you bother to read that last sentence: "As these self-driving features evolve, your car will be continuously upgraded through over-the-air software updates"? Let me explain since that was apparently not clear enough to you: it means you may have to wait awhile for those listed features to show up on your car. Not complicated.

Your suggestion that people should sue Tesla (because they can't be bothered to read, as it turns out) is sophomoric rhetoric that in no way helps or improves this forum.