Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summons feature flaw

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The fob stop is a good backup idea.

I assume it works also in Europe, even though we can't use fob to move here. I haven't tried.

That's a good question -- I have no idea. Anyone care to try and report back? The Fob is the only thing I use for summon. I will use the phone app to sometimes operate my garage door but I'm way too careful about summon to rely on it and I never quite understood why fob isn't enabled everywhere due to superior performance.

There is a slight lag, I'd say .1 to .2 seconds before it completely stops with fob. Door handle push (any of them) is almost instant. I've also stood behind the car and it stops every time. It will not give up on summon until a certain time period passes (once you move out of the way it will keep going backwards (or forwards).

As said, we can agree to disagree. I don't see any of what you say in OPs first or subsequent postings. I think he/she has been very open, analytical and critical to his/her own actions as well, and very consistent on what he/she feels is the real issue: the car continued moving after stopping receiving commands from the phone, something that was not caused by e.g. his/her carelessness.

To me it seems like a potentially quite dangerous thing, if Summon just stops taking commands from the phone, yet does not automatically stop. I would assume any Tesla owner would want that explored, lest it happen to them...
Are we looking at the same post?
if that had been a real person, they would have been killed, not to mention the horrible sound of hearing my car crunch into the curb.
the safety measures that are supposed to keep the car from running into/over solid objects failed.
trust whether summon won't kill someone
this is to me a serious safety concern and I would caution anyone from using the summon feature.
one catastrophe is enough.
I am trying to figure out next how to report this to the transportation safety board as I don't think Tesla has acted responsibly in releasing Beta products that can kill people.
If it were a real person it would be killed? really?
Speculation, and while straw is a solid object, you can't extrapolate that by running over straw?

Look, you're late to the party, the party has moved on. The OP admitted that he sensationalized the headline and the OP. I'm not sure why you're still saying he didn't, the OP himself said it could have been written better, see below.

And apologies again for the over dramatic title and wording of my post although I still maintain that something went wrong other than stupid human error which I was guilty of.

And FTR, before someone comes and asks me why I'm pilling on OP. I'm not. I'm just disagreeing with AnxietyRanger.

Just a firm push will do it. The car stops and the handles retract. What I never understood about summon was why the music plays as if the car cares about that...

Music plays? Really? I only used summon a couple of times in a public car park in Geneva as the width of the car parks here are extremely narrow and you cannot get of the car if you drive into the space. But I did not hear music playing in those occasions. Maybe it is an extra option for American versions to make it a cooler car! ;)

Key fob not sure if it stops the car in Europe as it doesn't do the summon but as @AnxietyRanger said, it might work. I will try tonight and report back.

My initial post in this thread was quite harsh. At the time I meant it and stood by it, but as the OP has posted additional details it's become clear that something odd definitely did happen to his vehicle. For that, I apologize for my initial harsh skepticism.

The remaining question is how did this occur from a technical standpoint? If we assume as factual all of the points made (controlling summon via phone, "require continuous press" has not been turned off), then the only reasonable conclusion is a lockup/freeze on the phone such that the phone app was continuously sending the summon movement signal, and the phone would not respond to further commands.

I am not very familiar with Apple devices, but I know that my Android device can easily have hiccups/freezes/lockups that last anywhere from 1-4 seconds if there are too many apps running. Incoming calls or text messages will also immediately freeze the foreground app, as the phone gives priority to processing the phone/text.

Anyways, lessons learned are to be ready to hit door handles if required to stop summon, be aware of the risks of turning off "require continuous press", remember that using the phone for summon is less reliable than the keyfob, and skepticism is OK but don't be mean.

That last one's for me.

If it were a real person it would be killed? really?
Speculation, and while straw is a solid object, you can't extrapolate that by running over straw?

Yes, we are reading the same message. I saw it as written by someone still shocked by the events. I can see why they would be.

If the car refused to stop, certainly it could have run someone over. That it knocked down and ran over something is relevant information. Could it have ran over a child looking the other way? Possibly. Ultrasonics are not very good at identifying some obstacles...

Look, you're late to the party, the party has moved on. The OP admitted that he sensationalized the headline and the OP.

It is my opinion. I did read the whole thread. To me OP was more about being reconciliatory there (I actually respected that part a lot about his/her), than really saying he/she was somehow being sensational. The OP has been self-reflective and self-critical throughout this thread, something which IMO frankly many of his/her detractors should be more...

I'm not sure why you're still saying he didn't, the OP himself said it could have been written better, see below.

I think the actual topic still merits discussion. OPs writing style and the whole sub-thread about his/her reliablity is IMO an unnecessary detour that even I welcome ending.

I will try summon later tonight to see about the fob stop in Europe.

Reactions: Farzinfar
I think we can politely agree to disagree there. In my opinion, the OP did us all a service by warning us of a potentially dangerous incident. At the very least we can keep an eye out for it when using Summon, so we can be ready to pull the handle or some such, were it to happen to us.

To me OP did the responsible thing, he contacted Tesla about it, he contacts the authorities who collect data such as this (to see if patterns emerge that require action) and then he informed users on this board. I have a very hard time seeing this sequence of events as trying to evoke negative reaction, I see it as extremely responsible behavior, aimed at helpoing others avoid OPs incident...

If this is a wider issue, it is now better known and can be fixed. If it is not a wider issue, it will blow over.
Of course, we can politely agree to disagree. The OP treated an automobile like a toy and the results were less than satisfactory. A moving car can be dangerous and it is foolish to move one towards people as a joke.

Summon isn't foolproof, but it operates under reasonably safe parameters if used responsibly.

OK, just tested mine. EU Model X, .44 software, 3.2.0 app version, Android 7.1.1.

Stops from:
- Releasing reverse/forward from app
- Pressing keyfob (I tested lock key)
- Pressing keyhandle (I tested driver's door)

It stops from the latter two even while I kept pressing the app button at the same time, so the latter two overrode the app.

It also mentions these three when enabling Summon. So, good advice to be prepared to press a handle or the keyfob as backup.

The fob stop is a good backup idea.

I assume it works also in Europe, even though we can't use fob to move here. I haven't tried.
That's an interesting point. What's the reason the fob can't by used but the phone can? Personally, I would think the fob would be safer, since it provides a direct signal to the car and would be safer as a dead-man switch? The phone has to rely on traversing the internet and cell service twice and would be more prone to lag.

I supposed the contact in the fob could fail at just the wrong time and keep transmitting the signal as well, but it seems it'd be more reliable than the phone.

Or put a 2x4 on the ground in front of the car where you want to ensure it stops. It can barely drive up the 1/2" lip into my garage.

In this instance I got the impression that the car was on an incline, so it was rolling down a slight incline as well. It was probably many factors contributing to it (including OP not being aware of needing a backup), an all-around unfortunate scenario and hopefully nothing too common. Luckily it wasn't worse than this.

Anyway, the interesting bit is that why didn't the car stop once the app "froze"? Is there something Tesla could do there?

That's an interesting point. What's the reason the fob can't by used but the phone can? Personally, I would think the fob would be safer, since it provides a direct signal to the car and would be safer as a dead-man switch? The phone has to rely on traversing the internet and cell service twice and would be more prone to lag.

I supposed the contact in the fob could fail at just the wrong time and keep transmitting the signal as well, but it seems it'd be more reliable than the phone.
We in Europe have a tendency of rubbing things in our pockets and play with them. I think Tesla engineers have been clever enough and disabled the summon on fob otherwise with the fob in our pocket and us rubbing them, you can imagine what could happen!! :) :)

Joke aside, I think it is just the frequency of signals transmitted by fob for summon is not in compliance with European frequency. But this is only a guess.

Of course, we can politely agree to disagree. The OP treated an automobile like a toy and the results were less than satisfactory. A moving car can be dangerous and it is foolish to move one towards people as a joke.

Summon isn't foolproof, but it operates under reasonably safe parameters if used responsibly.

Even the OP admitted it was stupid of him/her, so no argument there.

But the car should have stopped when the app stopped taking input. No?

If this had happened to me, even if I was standing right next to the car, I don't know what I would have known to do - I might have panicked too.

So at the very least it is good to get a refresher on the backup options.

Last edited:
OK, just tested mine. EU Model X, .44 software, 3.2.0 app version, Android 7.1.1.

Stops from:
- Releasing reverse/forward from app
- Pressing keyfob (I tested lock key)
- Pressing keyhandle (I tested driver's door)

It stops from the latter two even while I kept pressing the app button at the same time, so the latter two overrode the app.

It also mentions these three when enabling Summon. So, good advice to be prepared to press a handle or the keyfob as backup.

Thank you so much @AnxietyRanger . You saved me the test.

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
View attachment 260735 View attachment 260736 Summon was around last year. Not the first year I owned my car. I did do it last year but we didn’t have the scarecrow. Home from work now so going to spend time with the kids. I seriously would doubt that showing a picture of my car in the garage or the scratched underside will change the minds of the conspiracy theorists but I have what was asked for.

@wussy, kudos to you for putting up with everyone here. Unfortunately, your car will be in the body shop for 6-months waiting for a new $3,000 plastic shield, and they'll never get the new one to fit right.

Well an app would be used over a fob due to the complexity of programming typically used for such tasks. I assume (and I say assume cause I don’t know) that summon is not as simple as many think. It is not a simple “forward” or “reverse” signal sent to the car. Each is actually a set of rolling code sent to the car and if the car does not see the rolling code then it will stop due to the watchdog seeing the signal is frozen. So to ask for all of this to be additionally packed into the existing fob would probably not be realistic.

Also a phone/app is password protected. Less chance of accidental trigger. So many reasons the phone is much much safer. Can you imagine the TMC threads we’d see due to accidental summons if enabled from a fob...

Wouldn’t want that around children either in the house. Would have to lock them keys down.

Well an app would be used over a fob due to the complexity of programming typically used for such tasks. I assume (and I say assume cause I don’t know) that summon is not as simple as many think. It is not a simple “forward” or “reverse” signal sent to the car. Each is actually a set of rolling code sent to the car and if the car does not see the rolling code then it will stop due to the watchdog seeing the signal is frozen. So to ask for all of this to be additionally packed into the existing fob would probably not be realistic.

I actually think this is possible in the U.S. The feature is just disabled in Europe.

The question was why. I don't know.

Is there some point system as far as banning/warnings go on here? Everyone that accused wussy of lying should be marked down 10 points, or given a 1 week vacation for their thuggish behavior they displayed. Maybe if there were repercussions for blindly accusing people of lying, these posters would think twice before they got our their "SHORTER!! FUDSTER!" pitchforks and started stabbing.

The reason I suspected shorting is because it bore all the trademarks. The timing of it, the day before a big Tesla reveal, when the focus of much of the world's press would be on Tesla and share trading would be brisk. An extremely inflammatory first post from a new member which, if agreed with and picked up by the press could effect share price. No evidence mind you, photographic or otherwise. 'Borrow' shares before the story gets picked up at a high price, sell them straight away, wait for the story to break and buy them back at a lower price, return the shares and pocket the difference. Do you know for sure that the OP didn't intend to do that? Or any inflammatory negative posts on this forum for that matter?

The global oil industry is worth well over a trillion dollars, funding lobbyists and PR agencies and other nefarious entities, including Fuelling U.S. Forward, an organisation run by the billionaire Koch brothers which actively denigrates electric vehicles... Whilst I realise this might be labelled as conspiracy again, is it too much of a reach to believe that there might be at least one member on here who tries to influence and disrupt?

Reactions: jeffro01