Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sun Country Highway Cross-Canada Tour

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The map and all the charge site details are up on the SCH web site! EV Trip Planner | Sun Country Highway.

Thanks! Playing around with it now. They're showing one in Guelph as a 90 amp unit, but based on this nameplate I snapped, it looks like it's only a 30 amp.

IMG_1120.JPG

I am on my way to verify and use the CS-90 in Squamish, BC right now! Nice pit stop on the way to Whistler.

Some of you know that Kent allowed me to quietly "beta test" the western half of the network in September/October. I drove my Roadster from Salt Spring Island to Regina, SK, and then south into the U.S. (there are NO EVSE's to be found in North Dakota, only RV parks!). On the way back they had one more CS-90 installed in Virden, MB, so I cut north sooner and inaugurated that one. It is an incredible resource for EV tourism, especially by Teslas which can use the full 70A. Many of the host establishments are tickled pink and very proud to have the EVSEs, and really welcome travelers from afar.

Enjoy everyone!

The placement of some of the planned chargers is certainly rather curious, it's disappointing that they didn't go all the way along the Yellowhead into Hinton/Jasper nor put any in Edmonton proper yet Grande Prairie & Peace River are planned. I wonder if they signed a deal with a local hotel chain or auto shop or something to be putting chargers in some of those very small towns.

The placement of some of the planned chargers is certainly rather curious, it's disappointing that they didn't go all the way along the Yellowhead into Hinton/Jasper nor put any in Edmonton proper yet Grande Prairie & Peace River are planned. I wonder if they signed a deal with a local hotel chain or auto shop or something to be putting chargers in some of those very small towns.

I think they are placed wherever they can get takers. There is one at the Stone Road Mall in Guelph, ON but the signage indicates it's sponsored by the local electric utility.

I'm quite interested in the SCH network as it will make a major decision on my purchase. I received the "Finalize my Tesla" email shortly before Christmas and am deciding 60KwH vs 85KwH, single vs twin chargers before finalizing the order which is due in just over a week to keep 2012 pricing.

As an Edmontonian, the locations in Red Deer are especially nice, as well as the Yellowhead east of Edmonton through to Saskatoon and beyond, but continuing on to Jasper is a concern.

I noticed that most of the planned (gold colored) Alberta and Saskatchewan charger sites are at Peavy Mart locations. Peavy Mart is mostly a rural farming supply chain, hence no locations in Edmonton or Calgary or in the mountain park regions.

Here is Peavy Mart's store locator:
http://www.peaveymart.com/store-locator/
You will note that the similarity to the SCH network in the Alberta/Saskatchewan area.

Hopefully they can get some hotel coverage or other major chain for the areas lacking. Also it would be nice if they could arrange with Parks Canada for coverage in Columbia Icefields, halfway between Jasper and Banff. That drive in an EV would be quite astounding.

Kent has a laudable intent to spur economic development in depressed areas by getting charger stations into smaller towns and encouraging EV tourism. Many of the EVSE's are in prominent places, but many are in towns lots of us would have driven right by otherwise. On my beta testing trip I learned to really appreciate these smaller towns along the way. I met great people and made a lot of people's day coming through in my Roadster. It is not all about our own convenience, it is about fostering a revolution in sustainable personal transport. I look forward to visiting many "out of the way" places in the coming years in one or the other of our Teslas!

Many of the EVSE's are in prominent places, but many are in towns lots of us would have driven right by otherwise. On my beta testing trip I learned to really appreciate these smaller towns along the way. I met great people and made a lot of people's day coming through in my Roadster.

Agreed. I'd like to see some infrastructure in some of the smaller midwestern Ontario towns.

Kent has a laudable intent to spur economic development in depressed areas by getting charger stations into smaller towns and encouraging EV tourism.
That's a very romantic ideal, if this is truly the case then he needs to ground himself a bit. An EV is not a brand new mode of transportation, it's a different way of powering a car. People buying an EV will likely have already owned an ICEV - many of these small towns already have gas stations and scant few people go touristing around for them. If instead the goal is as you put it "fostering a revolution in sustainable personal transport" as opposed to some grand economic motivator then the initial focus should be on locations that many people wish to transport themselves to, one to show that convenience will be minimally impacted & two to repeatedly show the disbelievers that the technology is sound. Small towns definitely need to be a part of this plan for both the previous reasons but perhaps not at the beginning. Those are the reasons that will get Elon to his 20,000/year, not wide-eyed optimism from the early adopters.