Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sun Country Highway Cross-Canada Tour

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am flying out to Victoria tomorrow morning to join the Sun Country Highway team for the final stretch. Hope to see every Tesla, Volt, Leaf, iMiEV and any other PEV owner at Clover Point for when Kent pours the Atlantic water back into the Pacific. This is not far from the Terry Fox Mile Zero marker at the end of Douglas street in Victoria. We will just do quick photos there and then head to the Hotel Grand Pacific for the media event, presentation and final ceremonies. We will also be showcasing some exciting new technology! Stay tuned.

BTW hope you guys are following on Facebook. Some nasty driving through the Kamloops to Hope stretch. Hopefully the schedule does not get all messed up and they arrive safely. --Stephen Bieda

About a half dozen Tesla's, mostly Roadsters and at least our Model S, will meet up with an assortment of other EV's for the final short leg from Colwood, BC to the big celebration in Victoria downtown.

The Victoria Leaf Club has organized the proceedings, and kindly made us honorary members!

Here is the full notice (with revised timing and details from my earlier post above) on their web site: http://victorialeafclub.com

A map of the final leg:

SafariScreenSnapz001.png

I'm really excited that a x-country trek can be made! I'm not sure if this has been asked elsewhere (didn't see), but after a coast-to-coast network is completed, any idea where the next concentration of stations will go? What of Gaspe? I for one take yearly trips up north towards Hudson Bay (whether ON or QC side) or points East like NL in winter no less. I realize these destinations are less popular but perhaps Hydro-Quebec has plans? I will guess charging stations will remain on main highways so I could perhaps go as far as Val d'Or, maybe Chibougamau or even Matagami in the near future?

There are so many great destinations in all of Canada off the main arteries. It would be ideal to be able to continue to enjoy these areas without adding emissions en route or at the destination. Advice or links to relevant threads would be appreciated. :smile:

I'm really excited that a x-country trek can be made! I'm not sure if this has been asked elsewhere (didn't see), but after a coast-to-coast network is completed, any idea where the next concentration of stations will go? What of Gaspe? I for one take yearly trips up north towards Hudson Bay (whether ON or QC side) or points East like NL in winter no less. I realize these destinations are less popular but perhaps Hydro-Quebec has plans? I will guess charging stations will remain on main highways so I could perhaps go as far as Val d'Or, maybe Chibougamau or even Matagami in the near future?

There are so many great destinations in all of Canada off the main arteries. It would be ideal to be able to continue to enjoy these areas without adding emissions en route or at the destination. Advice or links to relevant threads would be appreciated. :smile:

My place of birth is Val-d'Or, so I know well the region! I help out Sun Country in Quebec and they have plans to install 70 AMP EVSE in Val-d'Or and Rouyn-Noranda in the very short term. Also, I told them that Mont-Laurier is also mandatory. From Mont-Laurier in the summer time, it would be easy to get to Val-d'Or with a 85 KwH pack.

But we cannot expect them to install them EVERYWHERE ... not all business owner are sensible to EV's right now ... and they are hard to convince even if you GIVE them the EVSE!

In the first part, we should make sure that many EV and TESLA owners make their own HOME EVSE available ... just imagine if there is 1000 Model S delivered in Canada by the end of 2013 ... that's a potential of an equal number of 70 to 80 Amps chargers (or at least 40 AMPS -NEMA 14-50 or 6-50 outlets).

The 70 Amps Sun Country charger is CHEAPER than tesla's 80 Amps charger, considering that half of it will be refunded by the provincial EVSE rebate. TESLA's proprietary chargers are NOT eligible and will NOT be eligible in the future (I got that confirmation from the team in charge of the program at the Ministère des Ressources Naturelles). The spirit of the program is to promote EVSE that can charge any EV'S ...

Second step, is to find out where the missing spots are, then mandate the local EV owner to find a willing business owner that would be interested in installing it. We could pour some money or create an EV association so that we could finance the EVSE at those strategic places ... With the money saved for renting a car for those trips that are out of reach ... or the gas, I think we would still be «cash flow positive» ...

My own 70 Amps charger is already installed and available to anyone coming to Trois-Rivières ... :)

Some photos (finally) from the final wonderful day!

image.jpg

Penultimate charge station dedication

image.jpg

Four flavours of red EV's

image.jpg

Chris, the road warrior

image.jpg

Kent enjoys mission accomplished, and the best weather in Canada!

image.jpg

The Trans-Canada Roadster, finally at rest

image.jpg

Kent, having poured half the flask of Atlantic water into the Pacific.
The other half goes home to Saskatoon.

image.jpg

The SCH logo rendered as a luscious shortbread cookie by
The Royal Bay Bakery, solar-powered SCH charge site.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,015.3 KB · Views: 299
Ok Doug, I hope I'm not letting the cat out of the bag here but...
a few weeks back I "stumbled" across the EV Trip Planner on the SCH website. ( very nice ) My bookmark abruptly quit working the next day.
Looks like there's a good possibility that I will have to make a trip to the Seattle service center if TESLA cannot fix my GPS / Internet issue remotely.
It sure would be nice to know where those undisclosed charging stations are.:wink:

Any news on the SCH chargers? Looking for some 70A service in the Barrie/Orillia/Minden corridor before I head there for a winter driving course.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_canada_200 using Board Express

There's a KOA Campground just north of Barrie that may be able to hook you up with a NEMA 14-50...

Edit: Sorry... it looks like they're closed for the winter until May 1st.

Last edited: