Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Super Charged Anxiety

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This happened to me just yesterday, and was the only time I'd even had a supercharger fail on me.

Parked and plugged in, verified charging was started, started walking to Starbucks. half way there checked my phone and saw the car was not charging. walked back and re-plugged in (figuring someone may have interrupted my charge), then started walking back. happens again. moved to another stall. happened again. finally I stay and watch it, and see the port turn red after a minute.

I called a random Tesla service center (I have no idea if there's an 800 number we can call for this), and after reboots etc. I still had no luck. finally he tells me to try a new stall one more time and it worked.

there was construction going on at the site where they are adding a bunch on new supercharger stalls, so looking back on it my guess is that there periodic power interruptions or surges that would cause charging to fail. a good reminder to keep an eye on your charge rate so you don't walk back to an empty battery.

Warning - newbie post. Some concerns may be self-inflicted.

I have an S3 on order. Out of the blue Tesla offered me 24-hour test drive in a model S. Even though I've never driven an EV before, how can you turn that down?

I decided to take a day trip to visit my son in Cleveland (I am in Columbus), maybe 120 miles each way. According to the map and charge, I could have made it with a 10% charge remaining. Being the newb, that felt too tight. So I stopped at the Super Charger in Mt Gilead - got 20 minutes worth of charge. All was well - destination reserve now said something like 40%.

Again, being conservative, once there I stopped at the Super Charger in Macedonia, which is about 10 miles from my son. There are 6 slots there and another Tesla was in #2. I started to back into #4 and the owner from the other car came over and said "slots #3 through #6 charge slowly and suggested I not use those". I thanked her and moved to slot #1 next to her car. Plugged in and I have the green quick flash at the connector so I assume all is well. I go browse Best Buy for 30 minutes.

I come back, the other lady is gone. I'm halfway back to my son's house when I realize I had not received a charge at all - nada. It was the same as when I arrived. Again, it could be "user error" but I am positive I had the fast green flash when I first connected - I don't recall if it was flashing or not when I returned.

Later in the day, my son and I return to the Macedonia Super Charger as I want more "juice" for the trip back. This time there is an unattended S3 in slot #6. I park in #4, plug in, get the fast green flash, and this time check the car's display. After several minutes, with 30% still in the car, the charge rate was just shy of 20 megawatts - that feels very low. By the way this was a 70D.

We didn't have a lot if time so we only got 15 minutes of this slow charge. The map on the return trip nicely advised to recharge at Mt Gilead again, where I would arrive with 10% reserve - that felt "tight" but I took it. Arrived safely and connected - got a charge rate of 98 Megawatts. That finally seemed right.

To end my saga, the Tesla dealer in Columbus is nearly impossible to find in the middle of a crowded, upscale, outdoor, yuppie mall - so I left but forgot to put it in the GPS. I think "no problem - I can list Tesla super charger locations with one button" as I know they have chargers in the parking garage. Well, no. For some reason these super chargers are not on Tesla"s map.

I love the car. I can manage any range anxiety, but now I have some super charger anxiety. Again, being a newb, I accept I may have done some things wrong.

Questions:

1. Do you guys "verify" you are getting a charge on the display when you plug in? Or is the green flash sufficient?

2. I'm kinda assuming the Macedonia charging station has some issues. Are broken super chargers a common problem? How are they reported?

3. If going to a new city, what "reserve" level do you not go below? Especially considering that the SC may not be working?

4. What range of charging rates do you typically see?

5. Does Tesla keep some "hidden" super chargers like they apparently do here in Columbus?

Thanks!
Kevin

Reactions: Rocky_H
Range anxiety affects all new EV drivers. It passes quickly when you realize what your car is capable of. I've driven my car down to 2 rated miles before with no worries. The key is to know how far you are from your destination and you'll be able to adjust accordingly.

So to summarize, you're taking a car on a test drive, you stop at a supercharger, spend 30 minutes, then leave and it's not until you're driving for 5 miles that you realize you didn't add any miles?

You might be better off in an ICE.
Wow! Tough crowd. You may be right. May our paths never cross! I am humbled at your perfection!

Well, there actually are, but they are so rare, that most people have never heard of such a thing--you can count them on one hand that exist in the world. It is a crazy stroke of coincidence that a brand new owner test driving happened to come across this one at the Macedonia service center. The other one is at the service center in Hamburg Germany. You can see them if you look at the map at www.supercharge.info. They are shown with a dot that is half black and half red, showing that it is limited access and hours. So, @KArnold , that is a weird one-off situation you will probably never see anywhere else.
*edit* Oh, looks like a missed a couple more in Europe. Traun Austria and Munich have them too. But I think that one near Cleveland is the only one in the U.S.
My local service center has 6 supercharger ports. Have also stopped at one in the San Jose area that had about 10 ports and of course the factory has a larger # of superchargers. I've also used a supercharger in front of a service center somewhere in the Los Angeles area.
I think they're rolling out quite a few at service centers.

Wow! Tough crowd. You may be right. May our paths never cross! I am humbled at your perfection!

You'll find the "ignore" function essential to enjoying TMC! :D Most members are really helpful and positive. A few just can't seem to help letting us all know how dumb / tricked / conned / blind we are to all things Tesla. :rolleyes:

Actually, this was neither. It was a Tesla showroom, not a Service Center. The parking garage there has several SC slots, but apparently they are just for the showroom and not for visitors. Well, that's my assumption anyway because they are not on the map. Maybe they let customers use them as well.

Are you sure about your numbers and calculations? (I suspect you're using 85 numbers rather than 90 numbers.)
I wish. Those numbers are from this forum's very own @wk057, here (more here); and yes, my "calculations" were a bit rough. The 90D has 9.2 kWh more usable energy than the 75D. Yay!

At least the 100D more than makes up for this: it actually has more capacity than advertised (102.4 kWh), of which 98.6* kWh are usable. That's 20% more energy usable than the 90D.

* not perfectly sure about the exact values. It might have been 102.6 and 98.4; I can't seem to find it online anymore.

The only way to know for sure how much capacity a lithium ion battery has is to drain it until the voltage drops below nominal and track what you're getting out of it the whole time.

Everything else, including those numbers from the BMS, is estimated. I wouldn't get too invested in the "90D actually has 82kwh" story. What matters is actual miles driven.

You can't count cells and come up with the capacity anymore than you can for one cell.

Until you've charged and drained the cell, you don't know how much energy it was storing. The same cell can store different energy on different occasions. Charging is estimated, draining is estimated. It's a chemical reaction.

I guess my point is, Tesla's capacity ratings are estimates and it's pointless to count cells and try to call BS. The only thing one could do is drive the car to voltage cut off and track the current used. Even then, that's only valid for that one drive under those exact conditions.

There's no way for you to know if that's true is my point. Anyway I would love a 100 instead of a 90, but roughly 45 miles more range isn't game changing for our usage. For our usage in our area, we don't eliminate a charge stop until range is over 330 (for the X).

Gah! I don't really care about the _absolute_ capacity of any of the packs. What I care about is that the 100D has 20% more capacity than the 90D, rather than just 11%. Because that's enough reason for me to upgrade.
It's most likely closer to 16% more.

The 90D has 7104 cells and the 100D has 8256 cells. 8256/7104 - 1 = 16.2% With ~102.4 kWh for the 100D (98.4 kWh available) and a 4 kWh buffer, the 90D should have around 88.1 kWh total and 84.1 kWh available. This is assuming they use the exact same cells.

No pack is identical, so it's hard to say exactly how much capacity a new pack will have. You need to measure a bunch of different packs and then average the results for a more precise answer.

Reactions: mal_tsla