TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Super Charger- Falls Church VA

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Reddy Kilowatt, May 14, 2020.

1. Reddy Kilowatt

My crystal ball says this is the next Super Charger site, 7501 Leesburg Pike near (Pimmit Dr.) At Idylwood Plaza . It's just outside Tyson's, which concerns me about the Tyson's site, both pins are on the Tesla site though. V3- 8 Stalls.

Jason's subs, Starbucks and Whole Foods are near by. The pictures came from a friend who didn't know how to show the trench line. So we get to look at Dirt pile. ;)
    IMG_2824.JPG IMG_2825.JPG
    IMG_2829.JPG

• Like x 5
    • Informative x 3
    • Love x 1
  2. Lanny

Lanny ~

#2 Lanny, May 14, 2020
    Last edited: May 14, 2020
    Maybe not Tesla. Could be EVgo.

There's a permit (#193080309) issued for an EV charging station here but it doesn't specify Tesla.

The contractor has done several EVgo sites in Fairfax Co. recently as well as the Reston Supercharger. Hoping it's a Supercharger but looking for confirmation.

• Informative x 3
  3. Lanny

Lanny ~

Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 8.28.51 PM.png

• Informative x 4
  4. MarcoRP

MarcoRP Supercharge Info Editor

#4 MarcoRP, May 14, 2020
    Last edited: May 14, 2020
    EV Installations | Leading-Edge Services, Inc.

These are the same guys who did Farmville. They also do Electrify America installs, but nothing is planned for them. Generally, outside California, EVGo doesn’t go above 4 stalls. Again, I think the chances are high on this being another Supercharger.

There’s also the first applicant, who built the Haymarket and Leesburg Superchargers, with no EVGo or Electrify chargers on record

• Informative x 1
  5. Reddy Kilowatt

#5 Reddy Kilowatt, May 15, 2020
    Last edited: May 15, 2020
    I stopped by the site this morning to get some shots and check it out. Has that typical Tesla L shape. Power source follows further back. 9 parking spots have excavation behind them. No trailer space charger yet, but there are islands on both ends. Someone is going to replace some curb though. I forgot to mention one good restaurant located here is the Idylwood Grill and wine bar. Note the three phase right over head.

5C59C52A-1433-4B1F-8D8B-BC7CA1E06945.jpeg CF5C0DB0-689C-4317-BBB1-9F097CAC00DE.jpeg

• Informative x 5
    • Like x 2
  6. crashvt

crashvt Member

It is a good location with pretty easy access off of 495 and 66. That shopping center can be quite busy at times. I am fan the Burger 7 in that shopping center.

7. Big Earl

Big Earl bnkwupt

This is a great location. If Pimmit Hills and Vienna both have Superchargers, I think the Tysons area is pretty well-covered for the near future. It would still be nice to see something at Tysons Corner Center, but it seems like the mall isn't particularly cooperative with regard to EV charging ... not even a single L2 (aside from Tesla destination charging) on the property at this point.

8. Big Earl

Big Earl bnkwupt

9. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

Don't think there has been confirmation that this is Tesla yet?

10. Big Earl

Big Earl bnkwupt

If If @Reddy Kilowatt’s crystal ball says so, I believe it.

• Like x 1
  11. GalaxyExplorer

Agree!

12. Reddy Kilowatt

No activity on site, I stopped by yesterday.

All the site have been quiet.

• Informative x 1
  13. Lanny

Lanny ~

• Informative x 5
    • Like x 4
  14. MarcoRP

#14 MarcoRP, May 28, 2020
    Last edited: May 28, 2020
    • Like x 3
  15. Reddy Kilowatt

Lanny has the newer version "Crystal Ball" than mine. His can zoom in better than mine. My resolution isn't that good. My amprobe says its V3.

FYI start looking for new players.
    Ford
    Lucid

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 2
  16. MarcoRP

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  17. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Falls Church, VA

Along Primary Interstates: I-66
    Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-50
    Along Auxiliary Interstates: I-495
    Along State Routes: VA-7

I-66

To: End (US29 in Washington, DC) - 10.3 miles
    Diversion: 1.8 miles

More Supercharger construction in the DC area.

• Like x 1
  18. paulkva

paulkva Member

Wow, we were at that shopping center ALL THE TIME before the pandemic hit. Getting in & out (mostly out) can be tricky when it's busy, and the whole area can be a bit of a nightmare during non-pandemic rush hours. Lots of Teslas in the area, and Falls Church & Tysons have lots of high-density housing that might not support home charging, so there's a decent chance we'll see it full during peak times.

But... within that lot, that's a great location for superchargers -- about as far from Whole Foods as you can get. Overall a very good location -- as noted, reasonably close to I-66 and I-495, with plenty to do while charging.

I don't know how close others are to this location, but feel free to ping me to request updated photos, I'm 5-10 minutes away. It'll give me an excuse to drive my car!

• Like x 3
  19. vdiv

vdiv Chief Grump

It will be full indeed, only 8 stalls. Getting to the point when every shopping or convenience center will soon have charging with other networks expanding as well. It has only taken a decade...

• Like x 1
  20. SleepingPelica

I have mixed feelings on this location. Geographically it is great but in non-pandemic times, this lot is small and very busy so I am worried about ICEing. Hopefully I am wrong. This will be the closest v3 to me so it will be interesting to try it out.