Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Super Heavy/Starship - General Development Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ugly amount of methane.
Are you sure that that's what it is?
That is the opinion of multiple people on the NSF forum. I believe the methane tank is the upper tank on the booster?

84E50DE9-C152-4158-9EAA-2010D98A55FA.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: scaesare
Understood and you are correct. The point is, it is a much more powerful greenhouse gas than CO2

Methane is a powerful greenhouses gas with a 100-year global warming potential 28-34 times that of CO2. Measured over a 20-year period, that ratio grows to 84-86 times. About 60% of global methane emissions are due to human activities.

I'm pretty sure large releases of methane are covered by OHSA. I doubt that is methane/CH4 but is likely LOX. Which is the same as what we see with F9 and RP-1. SpaceX isn't venting superchilled RP-1 during the loading process. So there is no reason to be venting superchilled methane/CH4.

Is the Super Heavy upper tank the CH4 or the LOX tank?
Top is CH4
I'm pretty sure large releases of methane are covered by OHSA. I doubt that is methane/CH4 but is likely LOX. Which is the same as what we see with F9 and RP-1. SpaceX isn't venting superchilled RP-1 during the loading process. So there is no reason to be venting superchilled methane/CH4.
It may have been CH4 due to location but an unplanned release due to overfill/ overpressure. Turned off pumps too late and value deal with the hammer effect.
Or they may have purposely tested the overpressure system.

That will be very interesting to watch.

Any ideas what the engines are throttled up to for a static fire?
I assume full power is needed to achieve liftoff in a fully fueled vehicle with payload once the OLM clamps are released, so the upcoming static fire will be close to 100%.

I wonder what the dummy payload will be for the first orbital launch attempt? A multi-ton wheel of cheese seems infeasible. 😉

• Informative
Reactions: scaesare
I assume full power is needed to achieve liftoff in a fully fueled vehicle with payload once the OLM clamps are released, so the upcoming static fire will be close to 100%.
Starship + SuperHeavy's T:W ratio is about 1.5 : 1, so technically it only needs ~67% thrust to lift (slowly) off the pad. But presumably they will test it at close to 100%, to simulate a real launch. Wouldn't want to test at 80% only for the real launch to fail in a way that only manifests at 95%.

• Informative
Reactions: Electroman
Just curious, how does this ratio compare to FH and F9 and other NASA rockets?
F9 is around 1.4, FH around 1.6. Saturn V had a thrust:weight ratio of only around 1.2, and used up about 8% of its fuel just clearing the tower! The Space Shuttle (with SRB's!) had a total thust:weight ratio of around 1.5 at liftoff, quite similar to Starship + Super Heavy.

used up about 8% of its fuel just clearing the tower
It is just a STUNNING statistic.
I have read about a few methods of getting the rocket moving by using external power- for example a gravity-powered "lift " with counterweight - and it seems worth a look with data like this! Would make a literally massive difference to payload capacity.