Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Super Heavy/Starship - General Development Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Less than half thrust, 7.9m lbf
Interesting. I wonder why they limited the engines so much. That’s not a full test of the capability of the OLM clamps.

Maybe there will be another static fire at a higher thrust level?

Stunning photos!

FB26EC9B-F594-4724-9646-2E85540D3398.jpeg
2B847CD6-8514-4E70-8B66-764ECA0B1ABB.jpeg
0D22E26D-DE9B-44A8-824D-F032970B72A2.jpeg
733CF09C-C563-4634-924F-F126109330AD.jpeg

Last edited:
Interesting. I wonder why they limited the engines so much. That’s not a full test of the capability of the OLM clamps.

Maybe there will be another static fire at a higher thrust level?

Stunning photos!

View attachment 905931View attachment 905932View attachment 905933View attachment 905934
Clamps:
TWR at launch: 1.5
Thrust: 17 Mlb
Stack: 11.3 Mlb
Clamp load: 5.7 Mlb

Test Thrust: 7.9 Mlb
B7 full prop: 6.8 Mlb
B7 full CH4: 1.4 Mlb
B7 full O2: 5.4
B7 CH as tested: 0.4 Mlb (1/3 full)
B7 dry: 0.5 Mlb (guess)
B7 as tested: 6.3
Clamp load: 1.6 Mlb, 3.9 Mlb less than launch

Or:
9.1 Mlb less thrust
+ 3 Mlb missing B24
+ 1 Mlb missing CH4
= 5.1 Mlb less clamp load, barely any.

However, I'm guessing they used the crane to validate hold down ability when they tested the stand's support ability.

S26 was rolled out of the MegaBay and moved to suborbital test stand A, next to S25 on stand B.

S26 has no flaps or heat shield. It seems reasonable to assume that it is the first Starship fuel depot vehicle (I don’t know what SpaceX officially calls that Starship variant) for in-orbit refueling and that it is going to be static fired soon. Exciting times!

D436368E-2966-4E84-AACA-0512DAC77743.jpeg
DB3F3DDF-5282-475A-9201-4CAB92A50B00.jpeg

Kinda bummed, wanted to see those, thought they'd be cool...

Looks like still on the table for the future according to Shotwell:

"Gwynne Shotwell told reporters last week that SpaceX sold the rigs; 'they were not the right platform.' Still interested in sea-based launch platforms, but the company wants to start flying Starship first and understand it before proceeding."

• Informative
Reactions: Electroman
Still interested in sea-based launch platforms, but the company wants to start flying Starship first and understand it before proceeding.
That certainly sounds like a wise approach. We all know that SpaceX always wants to move forward as fast as possible but they should not get ahead of themselves. With one Stage Zero complete, another one at KSC well along, and a signs of a possible third one at KSC, building two sea-based Stage Zeros right now seems overly ambitious given that there have been no orbital launch attempts, and landings are even farther in the future.

Reactions: scaesare
From that article:
Shotwell said the company needed to first start launching Starship and better understand that vehicle before building offshore launch platforms. “We really need to fly this vehicle to understand it, to get to know this machine, and then we’ll figure out how we’re going to launch it.”

She said she expected offshore platforms to eventually play a role to support an extraordinarily high launch cadence. “We have designed Starship to be as much like aircraft operations as we possibly can get it,” she said in the conference presentation. “We want to talk about dozens of launches a day, if not hundreds of launches a day.”
I know that Elon has talked about that kind of launch cadence in the past, but every time I hear it mentioned it blows my mind. I just hope I am around to see it actually happen! I would guess it is at least a decade away.

Reactions: petit_bateau
An article with the details:
These semis are relatively standardised designs for floating semi subs.

We are at peak oil, which is a somewhat bumpy plateau with all sorts of other summits on the ridge, chiefly peak gas and peak liquids.

Arguably we are also at peak offshore oil, gas liquids. Arguably most of the future growth will come from low risk (and low cost) onshore, though we will of course continue to work out the low risk tails from the known offshore plays around the world.

Once off-peak the liquidity in the relevant engineering design and manufacturing to construct these semi-submersibles will rapidly dissipate and be hard to re-assemble. Whilst the rigs themselves may have an economic lifetime of (say) 20-years in a single usage pattern, they will not have that same economic lifetime if they are to be significantly converted in a safe and cost-effective manner to another usage. You only have to inspect a 10-year-old semi to understand what I mean.

SpaceX might want to do (say) a dozen launches a day per rig. That is only a launch per rig every 2-hours. Not so difficult for stack - tank - and go. You only need a few rigs to do that at a rate of (say) thity or so per fleet per day (ex-Terra). That would be 11,000 per year ........ of which quite a few would be tankers, but sheesh ...

The point being that whilst SpaceX may conside these are disposable items, and that may be a fair assessment of the market now, that may not be the case in the future.

Different littorals have different rquirements. some may lend themselves to relatively easily assembled offshore islands of dredged sands in <50m water depth. Others may require floaters in >80m water depths. (The intermediate bit in 50-80m using jackups is I think not of interest). The floaters required for 20MW wind are a world apart from these O&G floaters.

Maybe enough littoral desert coast is the way to do this. There is a lot of Chile, Peru, Namibia, Morocco, Australia. Maybe Texas even. All sorts of offshore islands.

SpaceX might want to do (say) a dozen launches a day per rig. That is only a launch per rig every 2-hours. Not so difficult for stack - tank - and go.
Imagine the size of the onshore GSE tank farm required to support that many Starship launches per day. I can’t quite wrap my head around it.

Reactions: RabidYak and ICUDoc
Imagine the size of the onshore GSE tank farm required to support that many Starship launches per day. I can’t quite wrap my head around it.
As a comparison it is instructive to look at large scale LNG liquefaction plants which gives a feel for the size of the cryogenic problem. I appreciate that the long term goal for SpaceX is to get renewable methane (CH4) but for now taking hydrocarbon CH4 will be what they are doing. There is also the need to get liquid oxygen (LOX) so for comparison purposes it is worth summing both the CH4 + LOX

"the LNG market typically differentiated between small- to mid-scale production facilities and world-scale plants. Whereas the small- to mid-scale segment usually produces up to 0.5 million tonnes per annum (mtpa), world-class plants have liquefaction capacities of anywhere between 3.5 and almost 8 mtpa."

If you want to read more widely try also

Anyway popping those numbers into a spreadsheet it looks like a typical very large 2-train LNG plant can do about 22,000 tons/day of cryogenic liquid gas. So to get to a launch cadence of 12 per day that would require a 4-train plant.

1676456534481.png

Now it would be possible to put that in an offshore floating vessel such as Shell has done with the Prelude FLNG that only (!) does 3.6 mt/yr and still weighs in at 600,000 t when fully loaded, more than five times the displacement of a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier. It is the world's largest floating liquefied natural gas platform as well as the largest offshore facility ever constructed. But far better/easier/safer to put that on a very large piece of coastal flat deserted land where you can avoid a lot of the problems of going to a floater.

So a good equivalent would be Bintulu LNG which is the 21mt/yr exemplar for a very-large facility - note train sizes have increased over the years hence this being a 9-train.

And if you are going to build on such a large piece of empty coastal land you might as well put the launch & recovery pads somewhere within sensible pieline distance. An artificial island in shallow water offshore (say <30m water depth) would seem to be the better way to go for a series of offshore pads that are sufficiently segregated from each other, and from the onshore LNG/LOX plant

Again to get a feel for that, here is a shot of Bintulu - a good planning guesstimate would be a 10km x 10km chunk of empty coastline, with space nearby for a fairly large township to provide the workforce.

1676457908981.png

S26 has no flaps or heat shield. It seems reasonable to assume that it is the first Starship fuel depot vehicle (I don’t know what SpaceX officially calls that Starship variant) for in-orbit refueling and that it is going to be static fired soon.
Need to correct my post: S25 is on suborbital pad A which is used for cryo testing before engine installation, according to the latest NSF video.