Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Super Heavy/Starship - General Development Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the risk? There is no payload, deadline, nor orbital plane involved. Only differential between WDR and launch is marine/ aviation notices.
My uninformed speculation is that doing a WDR with the full stack could reveal GSE issues that would not be apparent from the separate booster and ship fueling tests. But it seems like SpaceX is not concerned about it, so that’s good enough for me. :) Let’s launch already!

Reactions: Grendal
My uninformed speculation is that doing a WDR with the full stack could reveal GSE issues that would not be apparent from the separate booster and ship fueling tests. But it seems like SpaceX is not concerned about it, so that’s good enough for me. :) Let’s launch already!
Sure, but problem != risk. Any risk is just as existent in a WDR as a launch attempt. Only difference is disappointment level.

They are hardware rich, but does that apply in this case? If anything, an extra WDR puts more stress on the rocket and stage zero, with added risk of something going wrong during detanking.
My bad if intent unclear... I was attempting to suggest that not needing to go ultra-conservative with a WDR prior to launch is made more feasible when you are building boosters and ships at such a prodigious rate...

My bad if intent unclear... I was attempting to suggest that not needing to go ultra-conservative with a WDR prior to launch is made more feasible when you are building boosters and ships at such a prodigious rate...
That's how I read it, but I'm unclear on what the WDR would do to reduce risk.
If this were a payload mission or had tight timing requirements, I'd agree.

That's how I read it, but I'm unclear on what the WDR would do to reduce risk.
If this were a payload mission or had tight timing requirements, I'd agree.
Right, skipping the WDR only makes sense because the launch permit is expected this week. If the launch permit wasn’t expected for six months, then you might as well do a WDR to learn what can you learn Before six months goes by.

Similarly, if this was a client mission, then you’d do a WDR to minimize launch failure if you hadn’t done a WDR before.

But doing a WDR now, with permit expected in days, does nothing for you. Indeed if something goes wrong, the permit will be delayed even more.

Washington Post article about Starship. Article is behind a paywall but WP does allow a few free accesses per month.

For a mainstream media piece, it’s pretty accurate except for this part:

For this attempt, SpaceX will not try to land either Starship or its booster. But eventually it hopes that the booster will fly back to its nearly 500-foot-tall launch tower, where it will be caught by a pair of arms that operate like giant chopsticks.
The Starship spacecraft itself, after completing its mission and reentering Earth’s atmosphere, would flip horizontal, fall back toward Earth in a kind of belly-flop, then right itself, reignite its engines and touch down softly on a landing pad. It’s a technique the company says will allow “missions to destinations across the solar system where runways do not exist.”

They got the booster right, but not the ship. As far as I know, the plan is for the tower arms to catch the ship as well. Adding legs to Starship adds mass. If they can catch the booster they can catch the ship.

Of course Starships going to the Moon and Mars will have legs.

• Informative