Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Super Heavy/Starship - General Development Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SpaceX is tackling putting tile mount pins right across the weld lines of barrel sections, eliminating the need to hand glue specially-shaped tiles in those areas. This is an image of a test article that came off the new welding jig in one of the tall bays. I assume the white underlayment will be included on production hardware.

View attachment 1052586

Interesting... so it appears the group of 3 pins that make up each tile mount cluster are positioned that the tile just overlaps the weld seam, but mechanically a tile is fastened on one side or the other.

Also, I wonder what those hand-drawn markings mean... it's numbers from 64-69 in the little circles with lines to points along the weld seam...

Last edited:
Reactions: JB47394
Interesting... so it appears the group of 3 pins that make up each tile mount cluster are positioned that the tile just overlaps the weld seam, but mechanically a tile is fastened on one side or the other.

Also, I wonder what those hand-drawn markings mean... it's numbers from 64-69 in the little circles with lines to points along the weld seam...

Replying to myself... those are test points I'd bet...

CSI Starbase speculates that the hot staging ring tore away during booster descent on IFT-3. The evidence is taken from examination of shadows from SpaceX's footage which seem to show the ring attached until being ripped off by turbulence. Additional speculation is that the ring not pulling away cleanly messed up the aerodynamics of the booster, which is why it moved around so violently.

They figure that intentionally dumping the hot staging ring is an attempt at balancing out all the reinforcement mass that has been added to the booster. That is, try to get the booster to its nominal landing mass so the propellant load suffices.

The really interesting bit for me was seeing the Ryan Hansen oxygen tank baffle system. Imagine plates with holes that completely block the tank. They would serve essentially the same purpose as the bladder ideas we were throwing around by restricting flow up and down the tank. There would be enough hole cross section to allow the needed flow to the engines, and that's the most that can flow back up. I was thinking that some simple plug system to prevent any backflow could be added, but then you'd have to fill the tanks from the top, and I guess those could get clogged up.

Here's the baffle idea. Yes, the plates look really massy in this render.

1717462541657.png

CSI Starbase speculates that the hot staging ring tore away during booster descent on IFT-3. The evidence is taken from examination of shadows from SpaceX's footage which seem to show the ring attached until being ripped off by turbulence. Additional speculation is that the ring not pulling away cleanly messed up the aerodynamics of the booster, which is why it moved around so violently.

They figure that intentionally dumping the hot staging ring is an attempt at balancing out all the reinforcement mass that has been added to the booster. That is, try to get the booster to its nominal landing mass so the propellant load suffices.

The really interesting bit for me was seeing the Ryan Hansen oxygen tank baffle system. Imagine plates with holes that completely block the tank. They would serve essentially the same purpose as the bladder ideas we were throwing around by restricting flow up and down the tank. There would be enough hole cross section to allow the needed flow to the engines, and that's the most that can flow back up. I was thinking that some simple plug system to prevent any backflow could be added, but then you'd have to fill the tanks from the top, and I guess those could get clogged up.

Here's the baffle idea. Yes, the plates look really massy in this render.

View attachment 1053301

Ah cool... will watch the video, but those plate/baffles are indeed interesting... When we had been talking bladders or other mechanisms like sliding "plungers" (essentially a movable plate), we (or I, anyway) had been talking about mechanisms to settle the prop against the intake orifice...

It seems to me these plates are more to avoid tons of propellent sloshing around inside the tanks... one of the videos after IFT-3 (also CSI Starbase?) speculated that internal plumbing may have been damaged by severe slosh... I guess they'd have to be beefy to handle tons of mass slamming in to them...

Reactions: Grendal
When we had been talking bladders or other mechanisms like sliding "plungers" (essentially a movable plate), we (or I, anyway) had been talking about mechanisms to settle the prop against the intake orifice...
Right, but this baffle approach - with one way valves - provides a tank that doesn't unsettle in the first place. The plates create a segmented tank with one way flow. Instead of having a continuous plunger that moves smoothly down the length of the tank, these plates provide a discrete plunger. Any given plate would have to withstand only the mass of the propellant that is between it and the next lower plate.

Reactions: Ben W and Grendal
Right, but this baffle approach - with one way valves - provides a tank that doesn't unsettle in the first place. The plates create a segmented tank with one way flow. Instead of having a continuous plunger that moves smoothly down the length of the tank, these plates provide a discrete plunger. Any given plate would have to withstand only the mass of the propellant that is between it and the next lower plate.

OK, it sounded like you had kind of dismissed the valves when you said "some simple plug system to prevent any backflow could be added, but then you'd have to fill the tanks from the top, and I guess those could get clogged up.", so I was talking bout the plates as in that pic.. with open holes.

But even with one-way valves, that wouldn't settle the prop against an intake orifice... as soon as a "section" of the of the tank between the baffle plates was < 100% full, there would be a void that the liquid might be on the "wrong" side of...

So even with valves/plugs, the baffles would help prevent catastrophic slosh impact, but not serve to settle the prop.

So even with valves/plugs, the baffles would help prevent catastrophic slosh impact, but not serve to settle the prop.
As I mentioned earlier, the plates serve to avoid unsettling in the first place.

As an illustration, divide the tank with nine plates so that you have ten tank segments. Fill the tank (from the top). Each segment is completely full of propellant. Now apply any acceleration you want to the tank, including none. The propellant isn't going to move.

When you want to start your engines, 10% of the propellant will be trapped against the engine inlets in the bottom segment, with another 90% ready to flow down through other segments to reach that bottom segment and the engine inlets. Stop burning with 45% of your propellant remaining and you'll have four full segments and one half full. Float the tank in orbit and those four segments will remain full. The fifth will slosh only within its segment. That's not a problem because the engines can be relit from the bottom segment, which is full.

To duplicate the current SpaceX design, put in one plate with valves at the bottom that covers the same volume as in the LOX landing tank, then put additional plates at intervals through the rest of the tank without valves. The plates need only go up the tank to the point where they expect sloshing. There's no need for plates high in the tank because that volume is going to be drained during the flight to staging. So if boostback starts with 15% propellant, then have a plate just above the 15% mark. You'll get slosh, but the plate should control the energy of the sloshing fluid.

I'm really warming to this idea of placing the header tanks at the bottom of the main tanks such that the mains flow through the headers to reach the engines. It serves to constantly replenish the tanks you use for restarts. Each time you restart the engines, the resulting thrust refills those tanks out of necessity.

OK, it sounded like you had kind of dismissed the valves
In truth, I dismiss everything I come up with out of hand because I'm undoubtedly ignoring some fundamental consideration. I'm a software engineer with a lot of time on my hands, not a SpaceX design team.

Reactions: scaesare
Let me see if I have this right: the header tanks are there so they are full when they need to relight, so they don't have to settle prop before relighting; is that correct? I wonder if this baffle/valve works well enough, maybe they can delete the header tanks.

The best part design is the one you delete, seems like their mantra.

Let me see if I have this right: the header tanks are there so they are full when they need to relight, so they don't have to settle prop before relighting; is that correct?
That's my understanding.

I wonder if this baffle/valve works well enough, maybe they can delete the header tanks.
That's the idea. I'd love to hear from the SpaceX guys on why they wouldn't want to do this, but things will never even get that far.

In thinking about this more, it apparently takes a lot of gas to pressurize the main tanks, so if you rely on those tanks being pressurized in order to keep structural integrity of the plates, then you're being hit with that ullage mass penalty. In other words, so long as you want to maintain pressure in your header tanks, you need to maintain pressure in your main tanks - because your main tanks are your header tanks.

asks chatbot

Apparently the booster contains 10 tons of ullage gas at the end of the loft burn. I wonder how the baffle plate mass plus 10 tons of gas compares to the mass of the LOX landing tank and its plumbing.

As I mentioned earlier, the plates serve to avoid unsettling in the first place.

As an illustration, divide the tank with nine plates so that you have ten tank segments. Fill the tank (from the top). Each segment is completely full of propellant. Now apply any acceleration you want to the tank, including none. The propellant isn't going to move.

When you want to start your engines, 10% of the propellant will be trapped against the engine inlets in the bottom segment, with another 90% ready to flow down through other segments to reach that bottom segment and the engine inlets. Stop burning with 45% of your propellant remaining and you'll have four full segments and one half full. Float the tank in orbit and those four segments will remain full. The fifth will slosh only within its segment. That's not a problem because the engines can be relit from the bottom segment, which is full.

To duplicate the current SpaceX design, put in one plate with valves at the bottom that covers the same volume as in the LOX landing tank, then put additional plates at intervals through the rest of the tank without valves. The plates need only go up the tank to the point where they expect sloshing. There's no need for plates high in the tank because that volume is going to be drained during the flight to staging. So if boostback starts with 15% propellant, then have a plate just above the 15% mark. You'll get slosh, but the plate should control the energy of the sloshing fluid.

I'm really warming to this idea of placing the header tanks at the bottom of the main tanks such that the mains flow through the headers to reach the engines. It serves to constantly replenish the tanks you use for restarts. Each time you restart the engines, the resulting thrust refills those tanks out of necessity.

Ah, ok, I guess you are implying no re-lights unless there was at least enough fuel in the upper segment(s) to replenish the bottom one.... if that's the case then yeah that would seem to work. Actually, I guess that argues for making the bottom segment as small as possible...
In truth, I dismiss everything I come up with out of hand because I'm undoubtedly ignoring some fundamental consideration. I'm a software engineer with a lot of time on my hands, not a SpaceX design team.

No kidding... the amount of mental "glossing over" I do is no doubt dumbfounding... lol

Actually, I guess that argues for making the bottom segment as small as possible...
Right. That segment doesn't need to be able to hold all of the propellant that you'd use for a booster landing. It only needs to hold enough to relight an engine to settle the tank.

Which brings up an interesting question - why aren't the header/landing tanks limited to that role? Why not create a small tank for a single engine that fires up, settles the main tank, allowing the other engines to be started? I wouldn't be surprised to learn that unsettling the main tank can introduce gas voids in the plumbing that goes to the engines, so relighting engines off a resettled tank could lead to engine hard starts.

That seems a tractable problem to solve, but I guess they didn't want to get into it. Or there are additional considerations that make it unappealing.

If SpaceX places those massive-looking baffles, will they be able to re-engineer the rocket with less material in its walls as the baffle can provide some strength in terms of preventing bowing / compression of the body / tank of the rocket?
There looks to be a lot of added mass, but re-engineering ring the rest of the rocket sound like a big deal.
Maybe for version 27?
Why not create a small tank for a single engine that fires up, settles the main tank, allowing the other engines to be started?
Sounds sensible (and lighter), but hey, I'm a brain surgeon, not a rocket scientist

Why not create a small tank for a single engine that fires up, settles the main tank, allowing the other engines to be started?
I expect the eventual plan will simply be to fine-tune the hot-staging burn to practically eliminate forward slosh in the booster tanks, rendering the baffles and secondary tanks unnecessary. A slight change in timing (e.g. staggering the startup of Ship’s engines so it pulls away a bit slower with less force on the hot-staging plate, or keeping >3 booster engines lit for the first moments of separation) should allow the booster to keep say >=0.1 g forward acceleration throughout staging, enough to suppress forward slosh. For landing, the booster propellant is settled by gravity+drag, same as Falcon 9. (The same is mostly true for for Ship, but AIUI the Ship needs the forward header tank for proper weight distribution during reentry.)

I expect the eventual plan will simply be to fine-tune the hot-staging burn to practically eliminate forward slosh in the booster tanks
Certainly if they can eliminate the need for an entire system like that, they'd gain a tremendous advantage.

There's also the sloshing due to the aggressive boostback flip. That's apparently causing engine outs. I don't know if they can slow that without compromising the booster's performance. The booster would travel farther downrange with a slower turn.

The general problem of restarts in space remains, of course. Propellant will unsettle. The segmented thing isn't needed so long as they plan to top off the header tanks from the mains whenever the engines are fired. I just thought that flowing the mains through the header tanks on the way to the engines was a neat simplification.

Reactions: scaesare and Ben W
Certainly if they can eliminate the need for an entire system like that, they'd gain a tremendous advantage.

There's also the sloshing due to the aggressive boostback flip. That's apparently causing engine outs. I don't know if they can slow that without compromising the booster's performance. The booster would travel farther downrange with a slower turn.
It's worth burning an extra ton of propellant if it can eliminate two tons of baffles. Not an easy optimization problem; will no doubt take many iterations for them to figure out the best strategy. The boostback flip will cause the propellant to slosh sideways, but maybe that's ok if it doesn't uncover the intakes, or else maybe they could just put all the intakes on the side the propellant sloshes to?
The general problem of restarts in space remains, of course. Propellant will unsettle. The segmented thing isn't needed so long as they plan to top off the header tanks from the mains whenever the engines are fired. I just thought that flowing the mains through the header tanks on the way to the engines was a neat simplification.
True, it's a different problem for Starship. (Booster never needs to do a zero-g restart.) Baffles with one-way valves is an interesting idea, although spaceship valves always seem to have their own difficulties.

Right. That segment doesn't need to be able to hold all of the propellant that you'd use for a booster landing. It only needs to hold enough to relight an engine to settle the tank.

Which brings up an interesting question - why aren't the header/landing tanks limited to that role? Why not create a small tank for a single engine that fires up, settles the main tank, allowing the other engines to be started? I wouldn't be surprised to learn that unsettling the main tank can introduce gas voids in the plumbing that goes to the engines, so relighting engines off a resettled tank could lead to engine hard starts.

That seems a tractable problem to solve, but I guess they didn't want to get into it. Or there are additional considerations that make it unappealing.

Hmm.. I may need to re-watch that booster plumbing video to see what differences there are in the header tank/plumbing that would make it impervious to that...

maybe they could just put all the intakes on the side the propellant sloshes to?
I was thinking that perhaps they could put the baffles only on the side of the booster that the propellant sloshes to. But they may actually have done that. With boosters, they can optimize for a very specific flight profile. Boosters do one very specific thing.

Baffles with one-way valves is an interesting idea, although spaceship valves always seem to have their own difficulties.
Spaceship valves are invariably gas tight, with a large pressure gradient across the valve. These have no pressure gradient and aren't gas tight, so they're extremely low performing valves. They only serve to prevent fluid backflow. As always, I'm sure it's more complex than that, but that's the idea.

Reactions: Ben W
The SpaceX launch livestream just stated that the reason for planning to dump the hot staging ring on IFT-4 is to lighten the vehicle for landing. It was also stated to be a temporary measure.

The SpaceX launch livestream just stated that the reason for planning to dump the hot staging ring on IFT-4 is to lighten the vehicle for landing. It was also stated to be a temporary measure.
Sounded like they had designed a better, lighter hot staging ring that would be reusable. I suspect it’s either not ready yet, or is a lot more expensive, so this jettison idea makes sense while they are still lofting test ships that they don’t plan to reuse.