Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Super Heavy/Starship - General Development Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With apologies to Donne, are the numbers in question Raptor engine numbers?
Indeed.
Computer, Enhance!
SmartSelect_20220718-221840_Firefox.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: scaesare
Claims has sources at SpaceX.

Deep inspections of B7 have revealed extensive damage from the recent spin prime mishap. B7 is effectively written off. Orbital launch attempt is switching to B8 & being delayed to NET october.
Repairs & modifications to OLS, to prevent repeat, are slowing things down a bit.

We still don’t have any information from SpaceX — meaning a tweet from Elon — regarding possible booster damage. So I regard the tweets by DutchSatellites and Octagrabber to be unconfirmed.
And as far as I know there is still no information from SpaceX about B7 damage, which remains in the Mega Bay.

Starship update article from NSF dated July 28 with lots of good info.
As of writing, repairs are continuing on Booster 7, and it will likely still be undergoing repairs for the next week or two. So while an early retirement for the vehicle could be expected, the current target by teams is still an orbital flight by Booster 7 and Ship 24 with a notional target date of late August for the flight.

While these repairs are ongoing, Ship 24 has been undergoing several spin prime tests ahead of the long-awaited static fire test campaign. The first spin prime test occurred on July 18, with what appeared to be all six engines in a staggered sequence.

Two more six-engine spin prime tests occurred on July 19, and another pair of these tests happened on July 21, that time with one and two engines, respectively.
B8 and S25 construction continues and parts have been spotted for B9 and S26 as well. A V2 Raptor upgrade is being tested at McGregor with electric thrust vector control (instead of hydraulic).

This caught my eye:
Booster 9 has also started stacking in the Mega Bay beginning with its methane tank, and Booster 10’s aft dome was sleeved as well. As of last month, this booster was expected to fly from Florida rather than Starbase but plans may have well changed by now. However, it is interesting to note SpaceX’s desire to rapidly build vehicles at Starbase that will eventually fly from Florida rather than wait for the Starship factory at Kennedy Space Center to be fully built out.
This seems speculative to me.

NSF has a new video update on SpaceX activities at KSC and Roberts Road and there is a lot going on there!

B7 was lifted onto the OLM using the crane so presumably the chopsticks have not yet been repaired after the hydraulic fluid leak. The chopsticks were raised up. Two spin prime tests were done with the booster. It looks like possibly each was just a single engine (but different ones?) in the outer ring. Two spin prime tests were also performed on S24; hard to tell how many engines were involved. Good to see more testing and no explosions! More road closures were announced for this week so hopefully we will see many more tests and static fires soon.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Give the amount of exhaust it creates, I am wondering if an exhaust tunnel should be there when all 32 engines fire during launch. Otherwise don't you run the risk of the exhaust (and any potential debris) hitting back at the engines or some lower portion of the booster? I believe the shuttle booster used to have an exhaust, but SpaceX never had one even for Falcon Heavy.

Give the amount of exhaust it creates, I am wondering if an exhaust tunnel should be there when all 32 engines fire during launch. Otherwise don't you run the risk of the exhaust (and any potential debris) hitting back at the engines or some lower portion of the booster? I believe the shuttle booster used to have an exhaust, but SpaceX never had one even for Falcon Heavy.
Height helps (vs test stand) and the exhaust itself is pretty harmless.