Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Super Heavy/Starship - General Development Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon stated: Starship to Mars in 3 years
To send an uncrewed ship to Mars, basically a test vehicle whose primary objective would be to survive the landing, I would think could be done in much less than 3 years. Once LEO refueling is achieved and the ship TPS is refined, hopefully next year, what else needs to be done for the first Mars test flight?

To send an uncrewed ship to Mars, basically a test vehicle whose primary objective would be to survive the landing, I would think could be done in much less than 3 years. Once LEO refueling is achieved and the ship TPS is refined, hopefully next year, what else needs to be done for the first Mars test flight?
You need an Earth Mars transfer window which optimizes every ~26 months. Earlier than 36 months is 10 months. Q4 2024, Q4 2026, Q4 2028/Q1 2029.
Given Starship is critical path for Artemis, it seems prioritizing Mars in the next 6 months wouldn't be appreciated.

It's from gaming stream:

-Flight 5 in about a month, after replacing the heatshield on the ship with a new tile twice as strong.
-Ablative protection underneath will act as secondary heatshield layer.
-Starship to Mars in 3 years.

"The chance on having both the booster and ship soft landing was about 20%"
"I was really walking on clouds after the Starship launch, @Spacex's team did an amazing job"

estimates 50% chance of Mechazilla catching the rocket.

-The booster's impact point will be at sea, it will either change course towards the tower or RUD itself over the ocean.
-The tower will be robust to 1000s of landings, Elon thinks.
-Starship Florida launch mid next year

Here's to hoping "3 years" isn't the new "2 weeks", lol...

And the new FAA guidelines allowing to aim for follow on launch in a month is great.

Here's to hoping "3 years" isn't the new "2 weeks", lol...
It has always been like that. He's been kicking out aggressive timelines for various goals ever since the beginning. First cargo flight to Mars with Starship in 2022. First manned circumlunar flight by Starship in 2023. First manned flight to Mars in 2024.

When Elon speaks of goals, he's just providing aspirational timelines for his employees. He likes to push people, and when he pushes the right people, they often find a way to do the impossible. There are lots of examples of this at Tesla and SpaceX. But it doesn't always work. So now he wants to push them to another launch in about a month, complete with a chopsticks catch. We'll see how much is people can actually do.

I wonder if Elon ever sits down and works through all the stuff that has to happen between now and the first human Mars landing. Break it down to week-long tasks and see how quickly it piles up to the year 2040. He does scheduling the way I did when I was a young software engineer. I looked at the task, considered all the work that I'd have to do, checked the alignment of the sun and moon, wind speed and direction, determined if the vending machine had enough Orange Crush, and then say "two weeks". Every time. Surely almost anything could be done in two whole weeks of hard work. It wasn't until later in my career that I learned how to break down a project into tasks no longer than three days because that's about the limit of what someone can reliably estimate. No shorter than a half day for reasons of practicality. Then add 20% for meetings, vacations, unproductive days and other interruptions. I hit those schedules, and there was no faffing about during that time.

It has always been like that. He's been kicking out aggressive timelines for various goals ever since the beginning. First cargo flight to Mars with Starship in 2022. First manned circumlunar flight by Starship in 2023. First manned flight to Mars in 2024.

When Elon speaks of goals, he's just providing aspirational timelines for his employees. He likes to push people, and when he pushes the right people, they often find a way to do the impossible. There are lots of examples of this at Tesla and SpaceX. But it doesn't always work. So now he wants to push them to another launch in about a month, complete with a chopsticks catch. We'll see how much is people can actually do.

I wonder if Elon ever sits down and works through all the stuff that has to happen between now and the first human Mars landing. Break it down to week-long tasks and see how quickly it piles up to the year 2040. He does scheduling the way I did when I was a young software engineer. I looked at the task, considered all the work that I'd have to do, checked the alignment of the sun and moon, wind speed and direction, determined if the vending machine had enough Orange Crush, and then say "two weeks". Every time. Surely almost anything could be done in two whole weeks of hard work. It wasn't until later in my career that I learned how to break down a project into tasks no longer than three days because that's about the limit of what someone can reliably estimate. No shorter than a half day for reasons of practicality. Then add 20% for meetings, vacations, unproductive days and other interruptions. I hit those schedules, and there was no faffing about during that time.
Yeah... I've argued much the same... Musk does a mental first-principles analysis of what should be possible and then sets that as the goal.

Reactions: Grendal and JB47394
Does "twice as strong" mean mechanically? There didn't seem to be a problem with the tiles staying on their mounts, only with having the stainless melted.

Elon seems to be tempering his weight-elimination obsession with a need to make sure the derned thing survives reentry. I wonder if the second layer is intended to be a temporary thing just to make sure the vehicle survives reentry. Once they have some examples to inspect, they can figure out how the vehicles are being attacked by heat.
I interpreted "twice as strong" as toughness / fracture resistance.

For the ablative layer, my first thought was that it might also function as an insulating layer, which would enable them to have the thinner outer layer of tiles. But I'm not sure if that's actually the case. Stainless steel can withstand ~850°C, so the backside of the tiles (without an insulating layer) could get up to that temperature without problems. But phenolic resins (e.g. PICA) begin to pyrolize (offgas) at only around 200 °C, and in the sandwich-layer scenario it's unclear where this offgassing would go! You definitely don't want the sandwiched tiles exploding like popcorn! Maybe they could pre-pyrolize the material to mitigate this problem, although the offgassing itself is part of what makes PICA such an effective ablator, so that may defeat the purpose. But if it does pyrolize even underneath the outer tiles, and if its functionality as a backup layer depends on continued pyrolysis when an outer tile fails, then it is not really very reusable. I'm not sure how their proposed solution will work from a materials standpoint, though evidently they think they've found a solution!

I'm very curious to see what their test cadence looks like once they start trying for Mars. Will they just send one ship, wait for attempted landing, analyze, tweak, and then send the next one? That wreaks havoc on their ability to quickly iterate, which is their superpower. Maybe better would be to send a ship every month or two, hoping that once they start arriving that tweaks can be done via firmware updates to the next ship that is already on the way? Obviously hardware changes will still have a much longer iteration time.

I'm very curious to see what their test cadence looks like once they start trying for Mars. Will they just send one ship, wait for attempted landing, analyze, tweak, and then send the next one? That wreaks havoc on their ability to quickly iterate, which is their superpower. Maybe better would be to send a ship every month or two, hoping that once they start arriving that tweaks can be done via firmware updates to the next ship that is already on the way? Obviously hardware changes will still have a much longer iteration time.
The low-energy transfer window is only a couple months long, every 26 months. My guess is that they might send several Starships per window with intentionally different designs, to learn as much as possible per window, and to have the highest chance that at least one will land successfully. If carefully staggered and positioned, perhaps each Starship entering the Martian atmosphere could even communicate to the Starship behind it during descent, much as reentering Starships on Earth communicate with Starlink now to provide live telemetry during reentry, and to avoid the loss of all prior telemetry in the event of a RUD. Imagine a train of ten Starships entering the Martian atmosphere at five-minute intervals! Now that I'd like to see.

The reality is that Earth itself is a much more difficult environment and atmosphere for a ship to work within. By the time SpaceX is really going for Mars they will know the ins and outs of Starship. Much like they understand and know Falcon 9 strengths and weaknesses. You are right that they will still do a number of test runs to truly understand how Starship will work in the Mars environment.

The reality is that Earth itself is a much more difficult environment and atmosphere for a ship to work within. By the time SpaceX is really going for Mars they will know the ins and outs of Starship. Much like they understand and know Falcon 9 strengths and weaknesses. You are right that they will still do a number of test runs to truly understand how Starship will work in the Mars environment.

More along what you said... by the time they go to Mars they'll have had Artemis out of the way, so successful landings there. They could even do non-chopsticks landings on earth. Mars should be somewhere between those two on the "hard" scale, right?

The low-energy transfer window is only a couple months long, every 26 months. My guess is that they might send several Starships per window with intentionally different designs, to learn as much as possible per window, and to have the highest chance that at least one will land successfully. If carefully staggered and positioned, perhaps each Starship entering the Martian atmosphere could even communicate to the Starship behind it during descent, much as reentering Starships on Earth communicate with Starlink now to provide live telemetry during reentry, and to avoid the loss of all prior telemetry in the event of a RUD. Imagine a train of ten Starships entering the Martian atmosphere at five-minute intervals! Now that I'd like to see.

I know they'll want to optimize for those transfer windows. But it's not like it's a window that closes, right? As you leave the window and transit time is going up then maybe sending one ship every 4 weeks would mean they arrive every 5 or so. Or am I missing something (quite likely)?

I like the rest of what you said. Just trying to understand the window; I am not a missile man, steely eyed or otherwise.

And you made me wonder... maybe they can load a couple of the ships with Starlink satellites. Do you even need a license for deploying a Mars constellation? What if you deploy the constellation before the politicians can say you need a license? 😉

I know they'll want to optimize for those transfer windows. But it's not like it's a window that closes, right? As you leave the window and transit time is going up then maybe sending one ship every 4 weeks would mean they arrive every 5 or so. Or am I missing something (quite likely)?

I like the rest of what you said. Just trying to understand the window; I am not a missile man, steely eyed or otherwise.

And you made me wonder... maybe they can load a couple of the ships with Starlink satellites. Do you even need a license for deploying a Mars constellation? What if you deploy the constellation before the politicians can say you need a license? 😉
The window really does close. (The required delta-V quickly exceeds Starship's capabilities.) Take a look at this plot: https://caseyhandmer.wordpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/explanation.png The blue regions are ideal, and anything outside blue-cyan is probably not realistic.

A Starlink constellation on Mars would be nice, but for telemetry during reentry you really need just one or two very specifically positioned ones. It's possible a few could be sent in advance, or perhaps the reentries could be aligned and timed such that existing Mars orbiters could gather the telemetry, though I'm sure SpaceX would prefer to do it themselves. With the dramatically lowered costs Starship provides, it suddenly becomes a lot more feasible to do so!

The window really does close. (The required delta-V quickly exceeds Starship's capabilities.) Take a look at this plot: https://caseyhandmer.wordpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/explanation.png The blue regions are ideal, and anything outside blue-cyan is probably not realistic.
@TunaBug, if you want to look around for more on these sorts of charts, look for "porkchop plots".

I'm very curious to see what their test cadence looks like once they start trying for Mars.
I'd be simulating as much as I could in more accessible locations such as the Earth, Moon, Lagrange points, etc. The big advantage to testing missions to Mars is that you can be sending supplies and equipment to the surface. Nothing of great value, but mass that isn't found on Mars. Perhaps building materials to start with.

And you made me wonder... maybe they can load a couple of the ships with Starlink satellites. Do you even need a license for deploying a Mars constellation? What if you deploy the constellation before the politicians can say you need a license?
Send some relay satellites as well, providing laser communication with Earth. The Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter is getting a little long in the tooth.

As for politicians, so long as any Mars colony is dependent on Earth, Earth's politicians will have the final say. If they shut down SpaceX, well, that's that. No more Starship for you.

Separate catch tower and boats for heavy booster landings like F9.
Does the droneship capability imply landing legs, or would each droneship have its own catch tower? (I’m not sure how they could possibly do that, but fun to envision!)

Also, without a boostback burn, would this eliminate the need for hot-staging (as it’s currently required to keep the propellant settled through the boostback burn)?

Does the droneship capability imply landing legs, or would each droneship have its own catch tower? (I’m not sure how they could possibly do that, but fun to envision!)

Also, without a boostback burn, would this eliminate the need for hot-staging (as it’s currently required to keep the propellant settled through the boostback burn)?
Landing legs at sea makes sense. I can’t imagine chopsticks at sea with wave movement being amplified at the top of the tower. Since the boosters don’t need to fly back to Starbase, should have more fuel for landing leg weight. The problem with at sea landings is slower turnaround speed.

Separate catch tower and boats for heavy booster landings like F9.

I haven't read it, but the screenshots in the tweet are from https://www.faa.gov/media/80626, which is an Environmental Impact Statement prepared by the FAA. It probably makes more sense to analyze that than the tweeter's interpretation. From skimming the document, this is at the "scoping" phase. In other words, it's not even a "draft". The PDF is 12 pages long, and only pages 3-6 (i.e. one third of it) is a description of the project, the rest is boilerplate, so the interesting bits should be a short read if you're inclined.

Is SpaceX still talking about re-purposing a drilling rig? Those might be large and stable enough to erect a tower with chopsticks, and might be covered by "droneship". I have no idea if they move fast enough to bring one "home", or whether the port near the launch site is deep enough for it.

As @TunaBug suggests, don't put too much significance on the tweet. The idea of boosters landing on drone ships has been in SpaceX official documents for a while, using the same verbiage. But we never see anything suggesting that they actually plan on doing it. I think it's just something that they've worked out as a backup plan.

Here's an August 2019 NASA report on the whole thing. It's 250 pages of stuff about engine counts, landing at LC-39A or a droneship, the layout of LC-39A, etc.

Here's the 2019 plan for LC-39A.

LC-39A Starship map

Did anyone notice that the planned Starship stack is supposed to carry 6,700 tons of propellant? The current one is supposedly at 4,600 tons. The 2019 paper says 5,000 tons.

• Informative
Reactions: scaesare and SO16
It also bumps the payload capacity by about 10%. Well worth keeping.

Landing legs at sea makes sense.
That's what Blue Origin is planning to do, and it works for them because they're only going to fly at intervals. Starship is shooting for rapid reuse, and involving a droneship is not going to facilitate that. Landing legs and a droneship seems like a lot of work to get some additional performance for the occasional flight. Such a Starship stack would only be used when a customer needs to loft a single object that is more massive than a Starship could normally carry. It seems a niche application when I think they're going to have difficulty finding objects that mass 100, 150 or even 200 tons, depending on the Starship variant.

Reactions: scaesare and Ben W