Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Alameda, CA (LIVE 15 Dec 2018, 12 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took my car to charge again here and got a video of it charging at 41kW with it was 40% full, I then drove it to Manteca where I charged it at 118kW from 25%. I took videos and sent them to TeslaNA via email so I'll hear back in a month.

When I got back from the cabin I was at 20% and I went to charge at 5 am when there wasn't supposed to be anyone else there so I wasn't sharing. I got there and ONE other car was there (in my spot) so I went to the entire other end of the SpC and plugged in. I got it to charge at 74kW. I was lower than I was in Manteca and yet charged slower. Something is wrong. I spoke to the other 5 am guy and his S was charging at 101kW.

I am so confused.

-Randy

Which stall was at 101?

The Alameda supercharger, sorry if that wasn't clear. The title of this thread. It's crawling distance from my house. That early you will find me still in my PJs. That's why I was hoping no one else would be there.

The other guy was charging at 6A. I usually use 6B as I can open the door and leave it open and not worry about someone trying to get in next to me. I just tried charging in 6B a minute ago and I am still only getting 50 kW, when I am below 60%, which is where most Superchargers start to drop off. I'm actually at 40%. The post above where I was charging at 90% was showing that the charge rate had dropped to 8kW, which I have never seen a Supercharger do, that's really low. I wonder if Tesla is limiting me PERSONALLY at this station cause I am always there

-Randy

Last edited:
The Alameda supercharger, sorry if that wasn't clear. The title of this thread. It's crawling distance from my house. That early you will find me still in my PJs. That's why I was hoping no one else would be there.

The other guy was charging at 6A. I usually use 6B as I can open the door and leave it open and not worry about someone trying to get in next to me. I just tried charging in 6B a minute ago and I am still only getting 50 kW, when I am below 60%, which is where most Superchargers start to drop off. I'm actually at 40%. The post above where I was charging at 90% was showing that the charge rate had dropped to 8kW, which I have never seen a Supercharger do, that's really low. I wonder if Tesla is limiting me PERSONALLY at this station cause I am always there

-Randy
I've gotten slow charging here since it opened. I charge at home and at the charger. Maybe the slow charging if you are using a "local supercharger" since they are supposed to be for distance travel?

I took my car to charge again here and got a video of it charging at 41kW with it was 40% full, I then drove it to Manteca where I charged it at 118kW from 25%. I took videos and sent them to TeslaNA via email so I'll hear back in a month.

When I got back from the cabin I was at 20% and I went to charge at 5 am when there wasn't supposed to be anyone else there so I wasn't sharing. I got there and ONE other car was there (in my spot) so I went to the entire other end of the SpC and plugged in. I got it to charge at 74kW. I was lower than I was in Manteca and yet charged slower. Something is wrong. I spoke to the other 5 am guy and his S was charging at 101kW.

I am so confused.

-Randy
I would assume your slow charge rate is because it has been so cold. Low SoC is one part of the equation and pack temperature is another.

It might be the reason so when you buy the car, probably buy in another city.
I bought in Dublin (CA) charged in Dublin with no problem. I picked up in Fremont and charged in Fremont no problem. I've charged in San Mateo, San Carlos with no problem. Its just Alameda, (same city, but not the same ZIP code), and I get slow speeds. I think it's the chargers not the individual, but I'm curious what @Randy Spencer figures out.

I've gotten slow charging here since it opened. I charge at home and at the charger. Maybe the slow charging if you are using a "local supercharger" since they are supposed to be for distance travel?
There is no evidence to support the contention that Supercharging close to where you live will result in slower charging rates compared to Supercharging farther away from home. That simply is not true.

To those who think they are getting abnormally low charging rates at the Alameda Supercharger: call Tesla, contact your local Service Center, and get some attention focused on the issue. It’s fine to post on TMC about this issue, but no one here can fix it if there is indeed a problem. Only Tesla can fix it, perhaps by working with the local utility to identify the problem.

There is no evidence to support the contention that Supercharging close to where you live will result in slower charging rates compared to Supercharging farther away from home. That simply is not true.

To those who think they are getting abnormally low charging rates at the Alameda Supercharger: call Tesla, contact your local Service Center, and get some attention focused on the issue. It’s fine to post on TMC about this issue, but no one here can fix it if there is indeed a problem. Only Tesla can fix it, perhaps by working with the local utility to identify the problem.

Please keep all posts regarding locals charging at Superchargers in the proper thread. ;)

I'm really confused. I came to charge at 50%. I got a max charge at 32 kW. I'm in 4A. Nobody in 4B or 3A. Someone in 3A.

At around the same time, someone parked in 4B and left 3A. My charging rate went UP to 45kW (at 73%).

There is something funky here. I'd love to understand the logic, if there is some.

Well, I tried last night to see if it was any SPECIFIC chargers that we are suffering. But I got basically the same charge capability. Not the best I have ever seen at a Supercharger. I started with 57 miles of range on my Model 3 LR and the first charge stabilized at just over 100kW. None of them were completely out of range of the others, it slowly went down over all the charges. The last charge was still 76kW at 100 miles range.

I am not sure what the next step is going to be. Perhaps a sign there asking to post here if you get slow charging with the model, range, and rate. I am sure Tesla sees the slow charge rate, but if they don't and you see your car charging slowly please contact Tesla. They seemed to respond to requests to move the parking bumpers closer to the pedestals.

-Randy

As I believe I stated previously, I got an email response from them that said to use the 'Service' email as the 'Supercharger' address is not checked as often. It was like 3 weeks after I sent them an issue about the East Palo Alto site that I had already found was fixed before I got their response.

-Randy

As I believe I stated previously, I got an email response from them that said to use the 'Service' email as the 'Supercharger' address is not checked as often. It was like 3 weeks after I sent them an issue about the East Palo Alto site that I had already found was fixed before I got their response.

-Randy

Interesting. I've emailed them multiple times, each responded to within 24-48 hours.

Well, I tried last night to see if it was any SPECIFIC chargers that we are suffering. But I got basically the same charge capability ... I started with 57 miles of range on my Model 3 LR and the first charge stabilized at just over 100kW.
I went by again just now with 37 miles range and EVERY charger had a single car when I plugged in and again I got right around 100kW. That's pretty good. Still would like 20kW more. Guess I'll stop obsessing about Alameda charging slowly.

-Randy

I just noticed that the charging speed on my display shows the Charge Current as 48 A ( Model S - bottom left corner of the charging window). If this were using DC charging, wouldn't it have a much higher value than 48 A or a different value completely? I haven't been to a different charger for some time, so I'm not sure what to compare this to. But my feeling is that it is doing Supercharging via AC instead of DC which is why I'm not hitting a higher speed.