Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Alameda, CA (LIVE 15 Dec 2018, 12 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just noticed that the charging speed on my display shows the Charge Current as 48 A ( Model S - bottom left corner of the charging window). If this were using DC charging, wouldn't it have a much higher value than 48 A or a different value completely? I haven't been to a different charger for some time, so I'm not sure what to compare this to. But my feeling is that it is doing Supercharging via AC instead of DC which is why I'm not hitting a higher speed.

No, Supercharging is always DC, and it ignores the charge current setting on the charging screen (that's the maximum current your car would draw from an AC charger).

Bruce.

• Helpful
Reactions: jdber
I just noticed that the charging speed on my display shows the Charge Current as 48 A ( Model S - bottom left corner of the charging window). If this were using DC charging, wouldn't it have a much higher value than 48 A or a different value completely? I haven't been to a different charger for some time, so I'm not sure what to compare this to. But my feeling is that it is doing Supercharging via AC instead of DC which is why I'm not hitting a higher speed.
Supercharging is DC only.

I assume you have a Model 3. That vehicle has a maximum AC charging amperage of 48A. That is what you are seeing.

During Supercharging the amperage will be much higher.

@ecarfan I have a Model S 75D as it stated in my post (which probably also has a 48 A max) which is fine. My bad. I still don't know why am am usually maxxing out at around 32 kW at the Alameda Superchargers though. I've sent a message to supercharger (at) tesla.com.
Superchargers are 400 volts so if you are getting 32kW, that would be 80 amps. They top out at 300 amps which is 120kW.

• Helpful

Tesla doesn't display the supercharging amps (current) onscreen anywhere, though Teslafi will provide the DC voltage and amps over a charging session. It varies continuously over a session typically 250 to 60 amps, and not in steady, clean values like 48A, 32A, 24A etc. So the 48A setting shown doesn't apply in the case of supercharging, only for AC charging

• Helpful
Tesla doesn't display the supercharging amps (current) onscreen anywhere, though Teslafi will provide the DC voltage and amps over a charging session. It varies continuously over a session typically 250 to 60 amps, and not in steady, clean values like 48A, 32A, 24A etc. So the 48A setting shown doesn't apply in the case of supercharging, only for AC charging
That’s incorrect, it does

208AA40B-73EA-4C07-9368-504C834F082B.jpeg
It displays instantanous kw and session-averaged mph; you can get reverse out the amps if you know you pack's voltage.

I know that’s blurry but 10 amps 404v

I use Remote S app on my iPhone to view the Volts and Amps when I am charging. Don't actually pay that close attention at Superchargers. I only pulled it out as I was having slow results at Alameda, but maybe having an issue only because I am so close my battery is cold. I charged last night after a short drive for a longer charge and actually got to 114kW. That seems reasonable. Perhaps something has changed, or I was always going there straight from my house a block away and trying to charge my cold battery.

-Randy

Randy, yes your battery is cold.

Pro-Tip: 15-20 minutes Before you head to the SuperCharger, open the Tesla App & fire up the climate to HIGH plus your seat heater & steering wheel heater - That should help warm your battery somewhat.

I have the same issue with slower charging when it's cold out & I live in the Bay Area too. The car is protecting your battery. Be patient.

I'm more worried about charging when it's hot out - 100 or more F

I got the car just in time to learn it's Summer behavior.

I remember walking past it in the driveway and hearing it's fans running w/o the climate on or me having been in the car yet that day. And Supercharging, hearing the fans RACING during the charge. So loud. Sure is different in the (mild) Alameda Winter.

-Randy

Was hanging out in Alameda on MLK day - Stopped here to "fill up" in the morning about 9AM - warm car - SoC about 47% - got the 114 kW - no issues with station about 40% in use - grabbed a coffee & breakfast sandwich from Panera. Coffee decent....sammich....less so.

Reactions: israndy
It's busy every day, only Supercharger in the East Bay. To get a charger to yourself get there before 9 am or after 9 pm

I'll bite...you don't consider Concord, San Ramon, Dublin, and Livermore to be East Bay? What do you call the areas where those Superchargers are located?

(If I can believe the API data, you can at least get a stall in Alameda almost all of the time, possibly paired. Can't say the same for other sites.)

Bruce.

• Funny
Reactions: PLUS EV and wyldtek
I was just repeating what the Mayor of Alameda said at our Supercharger ribbon cutting. But I have always thought the East Bay went from Richmond to Fremont. When you go over the hills you are in that part of the world that gets hot hot hot in the summertime. So I don't go there for 3 months of the year. I guess that's not really the central valley as that's another set of hills to get there. I guess when I lived in Lafayette I called that part of the world Walnut Creek meaning from the bay in Concord down past San Ramon, cause they are not on the bay, ya know?

Sorry to be such an elitist. Your point is well taken.

-Randy

I was just repeating what the Mayor of Alameda said at our Supercharger ribbon cutting. But I have always thought the East Bay went from Richmond to Fremont. When you go over the hills you are in that part of the world that gets hot hot hot in the summertime. So I don't go there for 3 months of the year. I guess that's not really the central valley as that's another set of hills to get there. I guess when I lived in Lafayette I called that part of the world Walnut Creek meaning from the bay in Concord down past San Ramon, cause they are not on the bay, ya know?

Sorry to be such an elitist. Your point is well taken.

No worries, I didn't see it that way. To me (having lived in some part of what I call the "East Bay" for 30 years), the East Bay is roughly what is now the 510 and 925 area codes. It feels odd to me to call Lafayette part of "Walnut Creek" because some Lafayette residents (not me) appear to shudder at any association with Walnut Creek. When we moved to Lafayette ten years ago, we learned that the term for this region is "Lamorinda" (Lafayette/Moraga/Orinda) but I don't know if anybody outside of these cities calls it that. If I have to describe where I live to non-Bay-Areans I usually would say "San Francisco Bay Area, east of Berkeley".

Anyway, to steer things back on track, based on the stall occupancy data I can see, there's generally a better chance of being able to plug in at Alameda or Concord, compared to Dublin or (especially!) San Ramon.

Bruce.