Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_20230526_072319762.jpg

For those willing to venture to Great Sand Dunes National Park without the Alamosa Supercharger Station, Medano Creek was as wide as I've ever seen it yesterday:

IMG_20230526_095043689_HDR.jpg

More snow than average plus a later than usual melt has delayed peak flow from mid May to late May. The flow was surging as sand dams form and break, which is what Medano Creek is known for. The creek was numbing cold in early morning and rather pleasant by mid morning. By afternoon children are happily playing in the water as it has been heated by the sun while flowing around the dunes. Seeing the creek next to the gigantic dunes with the Sangre de Cristo Mountains behind is well worth doing! You can monitor creek flows on the National Park website.

This is a view of the creek and parking area from 500 feet up the dunes:

IMG_20230526_084415754.jpg

Hiking the dunes is best done in the morning before the sand gets hot and the wind picks up. Fair warning: hiking sand dunes at 8000+ feet starting elevation is a workout.

Made it to the top, about 650 feet:

IMG_20230526_090146548.jpg
IMG_20230526_085531507_HDR.jpg

These are the tallest dunes, over 700 feet:

IMG_20230526_085413484.jpg

The park rangers said that it is about a six mile hike to the tallest dunes, for those who want to give it a try.

I drove by yesterday to check things out and saw no evidence of construction.

That's disappointing - I thought surely they would have started on it by now!

Oddly, Tesla recently updated the other uncompleted sites that had a target completion of Q2, to say "target opening 2023" (with no Q specified) - e.g., Albuquerque, Grants, and Las Cruces, NM. But Alamosa is still shown as Target opening Q2 2023. Guess they they just forgot to change it...

View attachment 941558

For those willing to venture to Great Sand Dunes National Park without the Alamosa Supercharger Station, Medano Creek was as wide as I've ever seen it yesterday:

View attachment 941546

More snow than average plus a later than usual melt has delayed peak flow from mid May to late May. The flow was surging as sand dams form and break, which is what Medano Creek is known for. The creek was numbing cold in early morning and rather pleasant by mid morning. By afternoon children are happily playing in the water as it has been heated by the sun while flowing around the dunes. Seeing the creek next to the gigantic dunes with the Sangre de Cristo Mountains behind is well worth doing! You can monitor creek flows on the National Park website.

This is a view of the creek and parking area from 500 feet up the dunes:

View attachment 941551
Hiking the dunes is best done in the morning before the sand gets hot and the wind picks up. Fair warning: hiking sand dunes at 8000+ feet starting elevation is a workout.

Made it to the top, about 650 feet:

View attachment 941552View attachment 941553

These are the tallest dunes, over 700 feet:

View attachment 941559
The park rangers said that it is about a six mile hike to the tallest dunes, for those who want to give it a try.
Ventured out here on 6/16 through 6/18 charged at the Hampton inn then stayed at the Rustic Rook in Mosca CO about 18 miles from the park. They had an evconnect two charging posts. IMG_5097.jpeg

Drove by yesterday - was only able to glance at a distance. Screaming kids in the car, etc. Feels like I saw a big green city electrical box next to the existing Level 2 charger there with construction tape over it, but perhaps it was a mirage. 😁 Maybe someone else who knows the site can tell me what I saw. No other obvious signs of construction.