Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Alexandria, MN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was relying on the info on supercharge.info where it says they’ve had permit status for 71 days.
That info comes from the first post in this thread that says:
Type of Work: NON-EXCAVATION BOUNDARY SURVEY
Work Being Done For: TESLA MOTORS
So, unfortunately, no there has not been a "permit" found yet. It's possible that there's been problems with negotiations or something completely different. We just don't know. Compare to Issaquah, WA where "construction" actually started, Tesla crates were observed, asphalt broken, then nothing, everything gone and repaved: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/2657614/

That info comes from the first post in this thread that says:
So, unfortunately, no there has not been a "permit" found yet. It's possible that there's been problems with negotiations or something completely different. We just don't know. Compare to Issaquah, WA where "construction" actually started, Tesla crates were observed, asphalt broken, then nothing, everything gone and repaved: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/2657614/
Dang, that's a disaster, stuff on site with Tesla markings and then *poof* gone, the dot on Tesla's site too.

I appreciate the Funny vote, but I am quite serious.
Local politics are about what brings business to the local economy.
I totally agree. It was funny to see someone else post what I think all the time. I hope it didn't come as being a jerk or something like that.

On the flip side if it is because one person is anti-EV or the location is not where a local politician or locally power business wants then we are up against much more than showing economic development. In this case, I have no idea what it is, but I would sure love to know.

Reactions: Zythryn
I called around Alexandria this morning and the long story short is no one knows anything:

Called Alexandria Chamber of Commerce - Never heard of a supercharger installation. I mentioned the address and she said, Oh yes the travel center right by the interstate. Ok, thanks.

Called City Hall - Sent to Dane because Brenda is out of office.
Dane has never heard of this (I haven't seen anything like this come across my desk) after I explained what it is. He said to talk to Brenda.
Called City Hall back, asked for Brenda's VM, left her a brief message about what I wanted to know and my contact info.

Called Alexandria Pilot Travel Center - I think they utilize a central dispatch for Pilot Travel Center's because the gal mentioned that they have over 600 locations so she would have to look into it. I made sure she was aware this was an Alexandria only thing and she acknowledged she understood, would look into it and call me back.

So now I await two call backs. I also mentioned the importance of this location for MY TRAVEL and that this was holding up all of i-94 being accessible.

Sad update. 4 days no call backs. Time to make more calls:

Brenda at city hall has heard nothing about this, and I pushed a little if she would know why there would be a hold up or if that location had any issues and she was very nice about it all and said she had no idea.

Brenda had a suggestion for one more city official worth asking, I left him a voicemail.

I called the Travel Plaza, different gal this time, I verified she was at the Alexandria location (she was) and mentioned they had an area all marked off for utility lines and such on their property in preparation for some construction. She had no idea what I was talking about or that there were plans for anything.

Personally, I feel like the location fell through and I sincerely hope another has been selected. All of my emails to the supercharger team (3 in total over the last 6 months) have gone unanswered along with one to a specific supercharger team member. I'm running out of options fast to be of any assistance on this one!

Sad update. 4 days no call backs. Time to make more calls:

Brenda at city hall has heard nothing about this, and I pushed a little if she would know why there would be a hold up or if that location had any issues and she was very nice about it all and said she had no idea.

Brenda had a suggestion for one more city official worth asking, I left him a voicemail.

I called the Travel Plaza, different gal this time, I verified she was at the Alexandria location (she was) and mentioned they had an area all marked off for utility lines and such on their property in preparation for some construction. She had no idea what I was talking about or that there were plans for anything.

Personally, I feel like the location fell through and I sincerely hope another has been selected. All of my emails to the supercharger team (3 in total over the last 6 months) have gone unanswered along with one to a specific supercharger team member. I'm running out of options fast to be of any assistance on this one!

Thank you for your efforts as well as posting the updates!

Called Alexandria Pilot Travel Center - I think they utilize a central dispatch for Pilot Travel Center's because the gal mentioned that they have over 600 locations so she would have to look into it. I made sure she was aware this was an Alexandria only thing and she acknowledged she understood, would look into it and call me back.
I called the Alexandria Pilot Travel Center yesterday. The manager said I was the second person to call and ask about this - gee I wonder who was the other? ;) Anyways, she said she still knows nothing about it. She said she sent an email to Pilot corp office about it, but hasn't received a response. She also is unaware if they came and did a site survey as the permit described. I feel that this SC and the rest of the I-94 corridor is looking more and more like it isn't going to happen this year. :(

I called the Alexandria Pilot Travel Center yesterday. The manager said I was the second person to call and ask about this - gee I wonder who was the other? ;) Anyways, she said she still knows nothing about it. She said she sent an email to Pilot corp office about it, but hasn't received a response. She also is unaware if they came and did a site survey as the permit described. I feel that this SC and the rest of the I-94 corridor is looking more and more like it isn't going to happen this year. :(
Stop saying that! ;)
I just ordered the parents model 3 and we need those chargers to keep the peace!
Weird... someone else called... maybe we need SOME MORE CALLERS to send the urgency message. :)

Sounds like my chances of visiting the Dinosaur Museum in Dickinson this summer are dwindling. :(
It would appear so. I have two potential charging visitors to my house this week alone due to a lack of superchargers.

Checkout the ND chargers threads and give the places a call that are mentioned and maybe, just maybe, that gives them a boost to stay on the ball with Tesla and get things moving.

Reactions: MarkoC
Bad news. It is now confirmed that Alexandria has been holding up the show. And odds are since nothing is happening there it will go somewhere semi nearby.

Worse news: Because it's already mid-summer Tesla has scrapped the i-94 plan for this year under the assumption they won't complete it before the snow flies so they aren't even going to try until next spring.

Worst News: Assuming that's all true we were lied to by Elon directly now that i-94 would go in this year as he tweet that i-94 would be this year and Tesla has showed coming soon or some other similar language since 2015.

Another long cold ND winter with only an EV. This really annoys me since I bought being told SCs were going in sometime in 2015. As did my parents with their Model 3 this fall.:(

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Fulkth and VIKING26