Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Alexandria, MN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gopher State One Call

Ticket No: 180790312
BOUNDARY SURVEY
Original Call Date: 03/20/18 09:57 am
Work to Begin Date: 03/26/18 10:00 am
Type: CALL

TICKET ACTIONS
Hover over buttons for information on usage.

EXCAVATOR INFORMATION

Company Name: DESIGN TREE ENGINEERING AND LA
Type: CONTRACTOR
Address: 120 17TH AVE W
ALEXANDRIA,MN 56308
Caller: JOHN SCHUETTE
Phone: 320-762-1290
Phone: 320-808-1000
Company Phone: 320-762-1290
Fax Phone:
Email Address: [email protected]

Excavation Information

Type of Work: NON-EXCAVATION BOUNDARY SURVEY
Work Being Done For: TESLA MOTORS
Explosives: N
Tunnel/Bore: N
R.O.W.: Y
Duration: 1 DAY

Location Information

State: MN
County: DOUGLAS
Place: ALEXANDRIA
Address: 3181
Street: EVERGREEN LN SW
Intersecting Street: CO RD 45 SW
Area Marked: N
Job Number:
Location of Work: MARK A 300FT RADIUS OF THE SOUTHERN HALF OF THE INTERSECTION.
Remarks: CALLER REQUESTS FIELD MARKINGS
Map Twp: 128N
Rng: 38W
Sect-Qtr: 35-NW,26-SW
Map Coord NW Lat: 45.8633021
Lon: -95.4255771
SE Lat: 45.8604605
Lon: -95.4214965

Almost definitely a supercharger, at that location! Permit dot time?

upload_2018-3-23_12-28-23.png

Alexandria seems to be a beachhead for forging west either along I-94, filling in that >700-mile gap to the Billings, MT SpC, OR towards Winnipeg - both of which by themselves are commendable advances.

I think the location is a bit unfortunate. It's a truck stop and if you look at the surrounding area, you'll see that not much else is likely to grow up around it for several years. Just down the road at the intersection of I94 & Hwy. 29 there is a Walmart, Menards, and several restaurants. IOW, plenty of (shopping) things to do while charging. Having the charger actually in Alexandria would have been even nicer. As it is, at the proposed location, there won't be anything to do besides hang around the truck stop while the car charges.

Mind you, I'll take any supercharger I can get. And I'm sure Tesla took the best spot they could get. I just wish that (non-EV) people could understand that putting chargers at gas stations, as they always seem to suggest, isn't necessary and is rather undesirable from the EV owner's standpoint, and really is a missed opportunity for merchants to draw people with time & money to their businesses.

• Love
Reactions: David99
I think the location is a bit unfortunate. It's a truck stop and if you look at the surrounding area, you'll see that not much else is likely to grow up around it for several years. Just down the road at the intersection of I94 & Hwy. 29 there is a Walmart, Menards, and several restaurants. IOW, plenty of (shopping) things to do while charging. Having the charger actually in Alexandria would have been even nicer. As it is, at the proposed location, there won't be anything to do besides hang around the truck stop while the car charges.

Mind you, I'll take any supercharger I can get. And I'm sure Tesla took the best spot they could get. I just wish that (non-EV) people could understand that putting chargers at gas stations, as they always seem to suggest, isn't necessary and is rather undesirable from the EV owner's standpoint, and really is a missed opportunity for merchants to draw people with time & money to their businesses.

If it's a truck stop it should at least have 24 hour amenities.

Anyway, it's 104 miles from Fargo and 326 miles from Winnipeg.

It is a truck stop with limited amenities. Given that I’m happy with the location.

The Hwy 29 corridor ends up being lines of ICE waiting for a pump. The interconnecting streets never were planned for amount of traffic compressed there. Between the locals and heavy tourist traffic it is a zoo. Entertaining to watch but not so much fun to be part of.

If this was near the extensive amenities along the Hwy 29, on summer weekends the likely hood of the Supercharger being ICED would be near 100% in my opinion.

Reactions: David99
I would have to agree!! We’ve been traveling off charging map (any kind of real public charging) in that part of the world ourselves. Using the “If there’s people living there, there’s a reasonable chance they have electricity. Then there’s a reasonable chance we can use some” philosophy it has got us anywhere we’ve wanted to go.

I’ll take a Supercharger with no amenities if need be.

Reactions: lightfoot3b
Tesla has been already active this spring here in Wisconsin. They have been changing out the original metal charge stations to the new lighted versions. Possibly upgrading the chargers themselves at those sites. Also reported digging at the Rockford IL location. I haven’t heard enough information to say if it’s expansion or something else. It’s not what you call normal maintenance I don’t believe.

Looks like they have a lot of plans for those crews this summer.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: lightfoot3b
Tesla has been already active this spring here in Wisconsin. They have been changing out the original metal charge stations to the new lighted versions. Possibly upgrading the chargers themselves at those sites. Also reported digging at the Rockford IL location. I haven’t heard enough information to say if it’s expansion or something else. It’s not what you call normal maintenance I don’t believe.

Looks like they have a lot of plans for those crews this summer.

I stop at the Rockford SC a few times every year and I'm almost always entirely alone. I've seen one other Tesla a time or two, but it's rare. OTOH, perhaps I'm there at odd times and Tesla is beefing it up because they anticipate a deluge of Model 3s. That would be cool to see!

I would have to agree!! We’ve been traveling off charging map (any kind of real public charging) in that part of the world ourselves. Using the “If there’s people living there, there’s a reasonable chance they have electricity. Then there’s a reasonable chance we can use some” philosophy it has got us anywhere we’ve wanted to go.

I’ll take a Supercharger with no amenities if need be.
And who would have thought the EV revolution would start with Tesla's following giant gas guzzling motor homes, but since they use a lot of electricity at night... those 14-50 Nema plugs are GOLD! :) And the looks from staff and the questions on the phone of why I want to bring a car to their park are always hilarious.

Reactions: OlderThanDirt
My son & I stopped by the site yesterday: No change. As a matter of fact, we couldn't see any markings at all, no paint on the grass indicating buried gas or electric lines, no flags, nothing. Clearly there had been a mower through the area in the past couple of week, e.g., bits of shredded trash throughout the area; so, perhaps there had been some markers that got munched. I didn't think to go inside and ask if they knew when construction would start (the local businesses usually don't seem to know when the SCs are going to get built).

Here are some pics of the area. One is the west side of the parking lot looking south; the other is the south side of the parking lot looking west. My bet is that the SCs will go on the south side of the lot. That's the part of the lot furthest from the building, and there were only a couple of vehicles there which I'm guessing belonged to employees, meaning unlikely to get ICEd. The ground along that edge is flat, whereas the west edge slopes up at fairly steep rake to the road, so I think it would be easier to locate the charging equipment along the south side. East of all that is where the trucks go, but there's a cement median that separates that section from the car parking area.

(Hmm, the TMC software let's me upload the pics, and shows the thumbnails, but when I click on the pics, I only see the map marker and one of @OlderThanDirt's pics.)

Attachments

• alexandria-SC-south-looking-west-25.jpg
    alexandria-SC-south-looking-west-25.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 198
  • alexandria-SC-west-looking-south-25.jpg
    alexandria-SC-west-looking-south-25.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: XHabjab