Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Announcement 2013/05/30

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
sounds like the official announcement is 2 weeks away, and... i think.. he confirmed a San Diego supercharger

Well... he didn't say when, did he? Because that doesn't make San Diego all that unique...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348544019.182998-web.jpg

Looking closer on that map it looks like they'll build another SC between Harris Ranch and Sacramento.
That'll be good for the 60s, since HR to Sac is 190 miles

The only odd thing is the Folsom SC, it's kinda out of the way. Better location would have been the I-5 • I-80 crossing neighborhood
theres a shopping area near there with in n out, chilies and a few other food establishments, plus a movie theater

My suspicion is that the Supercharger blocks are sitting in stacks ready to install... but that the land leasing/purchase, legal permitting, getting the high-voltage drop from the utility company, contracting of and schedule of heavy construction workers (to dig holes in asphalt and pour concrete), etc., is just taking much much longer than the engineers running Tesla ever imagined.

They've repeatedly underestimated the difficulty of, shall we say, "non-engineering" problems. Expect the Supercharger announcement... some time this year. I'm sure it's in progress.
More precisely, civil engineering surprises EE and MEs. Probably vice versa too.

My feeling is that any progress or announcement of new sites is secondary.

Elon talked repeatedly about new capabilities-- a "step change" in functionality. Others have speculated about his previously hinted claim of latent 120kW capability. In my mind, an upgrade from 90kW to 120kW would qualify as a step change. But there well might be something else. I am happy to be surprised on the upside.

Separately, I do hope that the I-5 corridor will be complete within a few months. I am itching to go to California to see friends at full speed. But I am really hoping the announcement is about much more than site logistics.

Elon talked repeatedly about new capabilities-- a "step change" in functionality. Others have speculated about his previously hinted claim of latent 120kW capability.

Indeed, I was somwhat surprised to see such a feature missing from the 4.5 firmware release notes. Seems like this release is on track to be released the same week Elon makes the supercharger announcement, which is why it seems odd to me there is no mention of the step change.

After my recent trip from Barstow north using Tejon and Harris Ranch as well as Barstow, I must say it seems to me that the Supercharger implementation has been sketchy at best. We have been focusing on locations and number of stations. But what I found on my recent trip is huge differences in performance of one stack to the next. The whole 8/4 split between to stations, with only the first getting 8 is totally undocumented. There is no way of knowing which stations are linked to which stations. I got anywhere from 80 mph to 260 mph, with Tejon being the winner. Barstow, with just me using one of the four stations, just barely got to 200 mph. Tejon, with 3 of 6 being used, was 260! It is all very confusing, and as usual, completely undocumented. I kind of feel like the entire thing is a series of beta tests. Maybe that is why we're still waiting on the next tranche of locations. And the so-called tech that I talked to on the phone to report the Harris Ranch issue, said well, they were so far away from HQ, so it will take time to get someone there. If you've committed to be on the road with your family and are out in the middle of nowhere, that is not very reassuring. It will definitely affect my future planning.

Looking closer on that map it looks like they'll build another SC between Harris Ranch and Sacramento.

Hope they eventually get around to installing a SC on Highway 101 in addition to Gilroy, say in Paso Robles or San Luis Obispo. I-5 gets kinda old (and stinky in some spots, what with a billion cattle), and 101 is a nice drive. Gilroy's too far. Need something south on 101.

Hope they eventually get around to installing a SC on Highway 101 in addition to Gilroy, say in Paso Robles or San Luis Obispo. I-5 gets kinda old (and stinky in some spots, what with a billion cattle), and 101 is a nice drive. Gilroy's too far. Need something south on 101.

Two weeks ago I met a friendly Tesla employee who was working on the Harris Ranch supercharger. He said they were in the process of installing enough superchargers along the 101 so that you could take a road trip from LA to SF on either the 101 or I-5. So you may get your wish sooner than you think ;-)

Two weeks ago I met a friendly Tesla employee who was working on the Harris Ranch supercharger. He said they were in the process of installing enough superchargers along the 101 so that you could take a road trip from LA to SF on either the 101 or I-5. So you may get your wish sooner than you think ;-)

As Burns says on the Simpsons: "EXCELLENT!"

Last edited by a moderator:
I have it from a very good source that along the 101 in Paso Robles at the Paso Robles Inn, a supercharger is being installed.

That will take a load off of Harris Ranch. Better location than SLO because people can come in or go out on 46. That's about 240 miles to Barstow with some mountains to climb. 135 to Tejon and 75 to Harris Ranch. It is about 216 from Hawthorne on 5. I bet Elon wants to drive 101 instead of 5.

Google maps shows 222 miles between Hawthorne and Paso Robles using Hwy 101. Nice drive along the ocean in several stretches. I can see that becoming a popular route for Teslas.

Last edited:
That would be great, and as Jeff_Adams points out it'll take some of the load off HR
never driven on the 101 further than Salinas, so I don't know what the scenery is like but I don't mind the I-5 drive

Id love to take the HWY-1 down to SoCal. Charge up at Gilroy and down the 1 I go, that's definitely something id love to do.

Does anybody think that the announcement will be that Daimler has agreed to dump other standards and adopt Tesla's connector and therefore the upcoming B-class and all future electric Daimler vehicles will be fully supported at Tesla Superchargers? This along with a higher charging speed...

(my opinion..)