Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Auburn MA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A Plugshare user reports it's only giving 58 kW on 1B. Due to the temperature? It's about 20F today. Seems low.

Yeah that was me. Charged twice there today

Screen Shot 2014-12-31 at 9.19.32 PM.jpg

First charge I still had regen limit on the dash (drove about 20 minutes before the charge). Second charge I had no limited regen and had driven 30 minutes before the charge.

Nobody there at the charger on first stop. Another guy there on the second stop but not sharing my node.

Both times it started out very low and climbed to the max of ~60kW.

As another reference at Darien South CT I saw 88kW at 121 rated.

Looking at my pictures its the amperage that looks low at Auburn.

Darien I was seeing 230+, Auburn peaked about 160.

Doesnt seem right to me so far. I'll be doing a lot more testing but if anyone has different experiences i'd be interested in hearing them.
IMG_4001.jpg

Last edited:
(LMB spouse)

Makes sense that if your regen is limited you also can't Supercharge faster than that either. It's to protect the battery, which doesn't like high charging currents when really cold.

We once saw something like 15 kilowatts Supercharging with a low state of charge and car driven only about five miles after parking at 20 F. It took about 30 minutes extra to do an 80% charge, with the charging rate gradually increasing until it intersected the normal taper. There was no one else at the (Dover, DE) Supercharger at which we've seen 120 kilowatts in the summer.

IT IS ALIVE!!!!!! WHOOO HOO!!! Plugged in and charging. I came in with 166 miles and she is charging at 184 miles per hour.

Tliving, this is the only other report so far with numbers, and it was cold that night too. Seems similar to yours, even though he arrived at a higher SOC. This Sunday will be in the mid 50's and rainy, maybe if someone pulls in from a long drive with low SOC you'll get a better reading.

May not be a good comparison as I don't have a battery temperature management system in the LEAF, but I just plugged into a CHAdeMO at 20% SOC and in summer it would start at 106 A, ~41 kW, and today at 20F, it started at 80 A, ~31 kW, and of course, just drops off from there. It's interesting that yours can increase as you charge, I haven't heard that before, is it because of your TMS?

Tliving, this is the only other report so far with numbers, and it was cold that night too. Seems similar to yours, even though he arrived at a higher SOC. This Sunday will be in the mid 50's and rainy, maybe if someone pulls in from a long drive with low SOC you'll get a better reading.

I have a lot of testing ahead. Its just interesting. I've used a number of other Superchargers (mostly the RI and CT ones) and never seen numbers this low. Still its free and faster than my house but just means I have to sit longer and its not like the mall is that close (or open when I go) and the Dunkin is quite a walk from there.

I'm here at a Auburn now, and a car is charging on 1B, but no one is here. The meter reads 162 kW, but I'll have to read through the manual Cottonwood posted to see if that means if that is what's flowing right now. The kWh reading is up to 600 now, after 2-1/2 days of use.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a lot of testing ahead. Its just interesting. I've used a number of other Superchargers (mostly the RI and CT ones) and never seen numbers this low. Still its free and faster than my house but just means I have to sit longer and its not like the mall is that close (or open when I go) and the Dunkin is quite a walk from there.

This must be your car then. The DD's not that far really, maybe a 1/4 mile, I can see it from here, at the corner of Rt. 12 and Swanson.

I'm here at a Auburn now, and a car is charging on 1B, but no one is here. The meter reads 162 kW, but I'll have to read through the manual Cottonwood posted to see if that means if that is what's flowing right now. The kWh reading is up to 600 now, after 2-1/2 days of use.

- - - Updated - - -

This must be your car then. The DD's not that far really, maybe a 1/4 mile, I can see it from here, at the corner of Rt. 12 and Swanson.

Yeah its just a walk in the cold at night or AM. Not as convenient as the ones i've used in the service plazas or as well lit as the one in Greenwich.

Whats your rate like?

Though the MPH rate one is getting from the charger is just an estimate, it is far more relatable than the kWh rate. Meaning, our destinations are measured in miles away not kWh. I don't know how many kilowatts away my house is from Auburn, but I do know it's 44 miles. So on a return trip from say Logan airport, which I will be doing on Monday, I know how many miles I need to get home, if I need to stop for a charge.

Though the MPH rate one is getting from the charger is just an estimate, it is far more relatable than the kWh rate. Meaning, our destinations are measured in miles away not kWh. I don't know how many kilowatts away my house is from Auburn, but I do know it's 44 miles. So on a return trip from say Logan airport, which I will be doing on Monday, I know how many miles I need to get home, if I need to stop for a charge.

Just beware of safety margins and the weather differences.

Oh certainly. I would never just charge to 44 miles to go 44 miles. I would add at least 20%. I am just trying to make the point that distance is measured in miles not kWhs. So seeing how many miles have been added and how fast, is more relatable than kWhs.

DNA, thanks for posting your photos of the Robert Goddard 'Rocket Garden'. As a long time collector of 'Space', I'm appreciative of the Auburn Supercharger and the historical link. Another twist. In the early 1920's Professor Goddard's theories of liquid rocket propulsion were mocked in a New York Times editorial. Taking full advantage of the historic moment, July 21, 1969, the Times issued a full retraction. Fortunately last year Tesla was prepared when they had to face their own New York Times tech attack!

This is my first attempt at posting a picture. Here is the photo we took New Years Eve 2014, enroute to CT from NH. From this perspective the tallest rocket can be easily viewed just beyond the road and the pond. Thanks to Tesla for fulfilling a 2014 SC promise for central MA. Happy New Year to all!View attachment 67767

DNA, thanks for posting your photos of the Robert Goddard 'Rocket Garden'. As a long time collector of 'Space', I'm appreciative of the Auburn Supercharger and the historical link. Another twist. In the early 1920's Professor Goddard's theories of liquid rocket propulsion were mocked in a New York Times editorial. Taking full advantage of the historic moment, July 21, 1969, the Times issued a full retraction. Fortunately last year Tesla was prepared when they had to face their own New York Times tech attack!

This is my first attempt at posting a picture. Here is the photo we took New Years Eve 2014, enroute to CT from NH. From this perspective the tallest rocket can be easily viewed just beyond the road and the pond. Thanks to Tesla for fulfilling a 2014 SC promise for central MA. Happy New Year to all!View attachment 67767

Unfortunately, you have to have five posts logged before you can post a photo. Try it again after a few more posts.

I grew up near Clark Univ, where Dr. Goddard worked. There was an old mom and pop hardware store in the neighborhood and I remember the proprietor telling me that they supplied the materials for his first rockets. I am glad to see Musk carrying on Goddard's pioneering spirit.

I used 3A. There was a car charging in 1A. Tried 2A several times, including backing the car further to ease the tension, but got "cable disconnected" message along with amber ring every time. There is a car charging at 2A now though, so I don't know what the issue was.

Brass Guy, when I first reported that it was live, I had the same issue, but I don't remember which numbered stall I was at. It was orange and she wasn't charging. Oddly when I tried to unplug it, she wouldn't let go. So I pushed in and it in fact went in further and quickly turned green and started charging.

I made a trip to Logan to pick up a friend and stopped by Auburn with on 26 miles left. Plugged in and in relative short order saw 384 mph!!!!! By the time we walked to the food court and were at Master Wok, it was already at 60 rated miles. I was the only one there and this is the highest charge rate I have ever seen. I once saw 380 at the NB Greenwich charger. I was plugged into the 4th stall, which I believe was # 2B.