Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Augusta GA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was there twice on Thanksgiving weekend and both times my car incorrectly showed only 2 of 8 stalls available. All 8 stalls were open.

Excellent rumors today via reddit:

Kettleman City-Style Supercharger coming to Augusta, GA • r/teslamotors

Planning & Zoning - Project Search Details
Does anyone else think this is an odd choice for one of the new, larger SC type locations? I mean, I've used the existing before and rarely seen another Tesla... Nothing derogatory meant of course, just could think of busier places where it might make more sense...

Reactions: pnungesser
Does this development need its own thread?

It's just my opinion, but I don't think so. This new location is just across the highway from the old location (same highway exit), and as already observed it seems very likely that the old one would be closed when this one is ready.

Here's another link from that Reddit thread, a news report from Thursday about the previous occupant of that property closing down (no mention of Tesla):
PDQ Closes Augusta Restaurant | Buzz On Biz

IF you build it, they will come!
I have no question it would be a better site than the HGI, but to go to the expense of building a Supercharger Taj Mahal for owners is what surprises me at this location. SO many spots on 95 for example that are busy all the time and would make sense. That said, Tesla tracks our cars and energy usage, so they know where to position chargers. In this case , it is the large scope I find a surprising use of capital.

Reactions: Drucifer
In this case , it is the large scope I find a surprising use of capital.

It could just be that it is a good location and they figure, eventually they'll need 40-stall sites everywhere, this one is right off the highway, lets get the land now for later. Perhaps they're going to build 12 or 16 SCs and just lease out the building to someone else? Having said that ... why would the existing restaurant need to close down?

Originally the future supercharger sites map included what looked like twin sites at the Georgia and South Carolina Welcome stations. These seemed unlikely locations for lack of food and retail diversions. Then I believe I remember there was a permit let to put the superchargers in what I think was called the Cabelas Rock Creek Shopping Center, whose developer has a number of shopping centers including superchargers in the South and MidWest. Only Comcast and Costco completed buildings in this center, which I think is still mostly cleared barren land.

Next the Hilton Garden Inn site was chosen around the same time that the Greenville Hilton Garden Inn supercharger went through its much delayed opening. (More recently the Columbia SC HGI has opened a supercharger).

So why install a Kettelman-style and sized supercharger just across I-20 in Augusta? The supercharger team has always been inscrutable. The only explanation I have is because this I-20 exit is just over a mile from the Augusta National Golf Club. In the dark ages when I was in medical school in Augusta, the Medical College of Georgia teaching hospital was open every day of the year, except Masters Week. In the early days of Tesla travel, Charleston SC Model S owners would stop at the Heritage RV Park out Wheeler Rd in Augusta to charge on a NEMA 14-50 in order to get to Atlanta. We were all carefully assured that we could charge there any time EXCEPT MASTERS WEEK, when the biggest RVs in the world would descend on them, along with the Jet Set, the Beautiful People, etc, etc. The Masters is a luxury goods marketing opportunity which occurs during the Spring flower season in Augusta. Many car commercials are made at the Augusta National around this time. So this location could be seen as a stellar, but once a year marketing opportunity.

Other than that, I've got no idea.

scoots

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby
I hope the rumors are true because the staff at the Hilton Garden Inn use the Superchargers for employee parking and are rude if you ask about it. They even had a security guard watching to make sure that their ICE vehicles weren’t bothered by Tesla owners trying to charge. I have charged in Augusta numerous times over the last two years traveling from Sumter, SC to Dallas and mor often than not, over half of the spaces are ICEd out. 590DE849-A574-4241-AD8B-52DC0C09016C.jpeg

I hope the rumors are true because the staff at the Hilton Garden Inn use the Superchargers for employee parking and are rude if you ask about it. They even had a security guard watching to make sure that their ICE vehicles weren’t bothered by Tesla owners trying to charge. I have charged in Augusta numerous times over the last two years traveling from Sumter, SC to Dallas and mor often than not, over half of the spaces are ICEd out. View attachment 266711
Report this to Tesla, and email the franchisee of the hotel. I did this in Columbia SC (another HGI) and lots of changes have taken place there for the better.

Reactions: Cowby
Originally the future supercharger sites map included what looked like twin sites at the Georgia and South Carolina Welcome stations. These seemed unlikely locations for lack of food and retail diversions. Then I believe I remember there was a permit let to put the superchargers in what I think was called the Cabelas Rock Creek Shopping Center, whose developer has a number of shopping centers including superchargers in the South and MidWest. Only Comcast and Costco completed buildings in this center, which I think is still mostly cleared barren land.

Next the Hilton Garden Inn site was chosen around the same time that the Greenville Hilton Garden Inn supercharger went through its much delayed opening. (More recently the Columbia SC HGI has opened a supercharger).

So why install a Kettelman-style and sized supercharger just across I-20 in Augusta? The supercharger team has always been inscrutable. The only explanation I have is because this I-20 exit is just over a mile from the Augusta National Golf Club. In the dark ages when I was in medical school in Augusta, the Medical College of Georgia teaching hospital was open every day of the year, except Masters Week. In the early days of Tesla travel, Charleston SC Model S owners would stop at the Heritage RV Park out Wheeler Rd in Augusta to charge on a NEMA 14-50 in order to get to Atlanta. We were all carefully assured that we could charge there any time EXCEPT MASTERS WEEK, when the biggest RVs in the world would descend on them, along with the Jet Set, the Beautiful People, etc, etc. The Masters is a luxury goods marketing opportunity which occurs during the Spring flower season in Augusta. Many car commercials are made at the Augusta National around this time. So this location could be seen as a stellar, but once a year marketing opportunity.

Other than that, I've got no idea.

scoots
I think you are correct. The Augusta National was able to buy an entire residential community, demolish the houses and make a parking lot to be used one week each year and move Berkman Road in the process. I’m sure they need 30 or 40 Superchargers for that same one week each year. If the Augusta National wants it, it will come. And they can have it
completed by April 1

I just spoke with the Homewood front desk, and they said that people do park in the SCs from time to time. That's been my experience the several times I've been there, there were always a few cars parked there, and I've got a feeling they belonged to employees. That would explain the front desk not caring about it. Even with No Parking signs, it is not enforced. I'm very disappointed the Tesla agreement with SCs in hotel parking lots (I know of several of them in my limited travels) doesn't specify "No Parking - Towing Enforced" sign. Simple, effective.

It will come. We're a minority now, but when the M3s hit the road there will be plenty of people complaining, and that will get the attention of these hotels. Too bad it has to be that way.

Stopped by today. There is closed/abandoned fast food restaurant (PDQ), the lot looks just the right size for a large SC site. Zero activity/clearing though, just an empty building. If we do get one here it is fairly good location…several mainstream restaurants (Jason's Deli, Outback, Red Lobster, etc) very close, frozen yogurt, shopping. Not too peaceful, a lot of noisy traffic immediately adjacent. It's a good location to cut down icing, on the edge of the shopping center with a small burm to keep away casual parkers. MUCH better amenities than the existing SC across the interstate (no daytime restaurants and frequent reported icing problems).

We can only hope the work order is going to happen. Tesla doesn't list a new SC here on their map.

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: beej and Mike1080i