Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Austin, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stopped by the location this afternoon to check it out for myself. Unfortunately bottomed out on one of the speed bumps in the parking lot :p
Nothing has changed since that photo posted in this thread a week ago, but I did notice a tag (a plastic red ribbon) on one of the trees in the area. Presumably someone's been working on the arboreal aspects of the project.

• Informative
Reactions: Snerruc
Has anyone been by recently? Any movement? I have a trip on July 7th from The Woodlands to San Angelo and was really hoping this charger would be live by then... any suggestions if it is not?
Unfortunately even if construction magically started today, I find it highly unlikely it could be built and commissioned in 3 weeks. Sorry can't help with suggestions other than check out www.evtripplanner.com or www.abetterrouteplanner.com.

Reactions: vrykolas
Has anyone been by recently? Any movement? I have a trip on July 7th from The Woodlands to San Angelo and was really hoping this charger would be live by then... any suggestions if it is not?

Cut down and take i10 the whole way. It'll be faster than taking 290 and then having to cut down through San Antonio anyway. There is no safe way around San Marcos though if you aren't using a 90D or better, and you'll need to detour there to make Junction. So your route with a 75D will be Houston North -> Columbus -> San Marcos -> Junction.
With a 90D or 100D you could probably make Flatonia from Houston North, and then the long haul to Junction.
If you are dead set on taking Austin and have nothing but time on your hands, then you are welcome to charge at my house in Round Rock (NEMA 14-50). 203 miles to San Angelo should be fine on a 90D. You can (from experience) make Round Rock from The Woodlands with about 30-35% to spare (100% starting charge, 90D).

Last edited:
You don't provide what car/battery you have, but you can go I-10 to Junction, then to San Angelo. Since the Supercharger in San Antonio is not built, you will need to take care going from Flatonia to Junction -- route through San Marcos if necessary. You can also go Huntsville to Waco to Cisco, then San Angelo. It is possibly longer, but depending on time of day may be faster than going through Houston,

Both routes are slightly slower than a direct route, but only 20-50 minutes,

With a 90D or 100D you could probably make Flatonia from Houston North, and then the long haul to Junction.
About two weeks ago, I made the trip from Magnolia/Woodlands (starting at 100%) to Flatonia via La Grange in my S70. I took 290, 237, and FM609. I don't remember the SOC when I got there (maybe 45%), but it wasn't even close to being a problem. That was with some side trips and the AC set to 70 degrees. The non-highway speeds kept Wh/mile near rated, and the drive is nice. The Monument Hill & Kreische Brewery State Historic Site south of La Grange an unexpected pleasure, if you have the time.

Reactions: byeLT4
Seems like good news then? Can the arborist get the piping/wiring/etc. sorted out around the trees to allow Tesla to bring the SC online?
no - the reply to the contractor said they needed to engage the arborist to evaluate the trees to see what was possible.
However, it didn't sound very positive at all.
All they obtained initially was a waiver and nothing more - but seemed to start the process anyway, much too prematurely.
Many of the trees are tagged as heritage grade, which means extra care must be taken.
I would suspect a site redesign is coming but haven't seen anything on the planning site.