Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Austin, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
brkaus: I guess I don't understand that statement. Free SC was important to me when I bought my Teslas.
Perhaps you think the SCs will be used less if they are pay-only?
Yes. I believe it causes irrational behavior. Just like the Costco gas lines to save a few $$ from the station nearby.

It’s hard to build enough capacity for irrational behavior.

It’s also environmentally bad because people drive farther to get free charging.

Of course, that same irrational brain makes people buy the car due to “free” charging. And most do not get value out of it. So there is that side - and why they do it. I have used supercharging 5 times in two years. Yet it caused me lots of anxiety at purchase time. I was giving up unlimited supercharging to move to a S100D (of course it was added back).

I do think the 6 months (or year) is a reasonably fair middle ground. But I prefer the fixed 400 kWh that was in play for a while.

Waiting for enough cars to be out of warranty and someone makes an aftermarket kit to power the house.

I only use SCs on long distance trips - I think that was the original intent of SCs.
Perhaps a policy of free SCs only while away from your home territory would achieve the desired result and still give Tesla a competitive advantage.

brkaus: in my experience, many car buyers and most boat buyers make purchases based on features that I think are completely irrational.
I've saved about $1,000 over almost eight years by using free superchargers, so for my two Model S cars at about $112,000 each, the payback is about...................oh, never mind.

So is that Cedar Park SC done yet? :p Have they started the paperwork to get the downtown location on the go?

While I did have a bit of padding left on my charge rolling into Austin today... IMG_5076.JPG
...it was somewhat inconvenient that the stalls were full and there was 2 cars waiting ahead of us, needing to go order lunch before I went back to roll into a stall and start the charger.

From attendance at other events Austin seems to have a much higher Tesla/pop number than Houston, the later of which already has 4 chargers active in the larger metro area. Are most of those people at the chargers local, or is that actual pass-thru traffic?

P.S. My wife was NOT amused cutting it this close. But the root of it was because when I got home last night I was being a thoughtful, loving husband by not pulling her Bolt off the charger.....having forgotten that we were going to do a winery road trip today for our anniversary. So we left this morning with about only about 45% SOC, and low-to-mid 60F temps aren't conducive to optimal range. :oops:

Last edited:
So is that Cedar Park SC done yet? :p Have they started the paperwork to get the downtown location on the go?

While I did have a bit of padding left on my charge rolling into Austin today... View attachment 363533
...it was somewhat inconvenient that the stalls were full and there was 2 cars waiting ahead of us, needing to go order lunch before I went back to roll into a stall and start the charger.

From attendance at other events Austin seems to have a much higher Tesla/pop number than Houston, the later of which already has 4 chargers active in the larger metro area. Are most of those people at the chargers local, or is that actual pass-thru traffic?

P.S. My wife was NOT amused cutting it this close. But the root of it was because when I got home last night I was being a thoughtful, loving husband by not pulling her Bolt off the charger.....having forgotten that we were going to do a winery road trip today for our anniversary. So we left this morning with about only about 45% SOC, and low-to-mid 60F temps aren't conducive to optimal range. :oops:
Take the easy way out and include Alexander winery and plug in while you’re doing a tasting.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
Take the easy way out and include Alexander winery and plug in while you’re doing a tasting.
Well sure, if I hadn't been a forgetful fool I could have done that, and probably would have. Even in "fall" weather I can handily reach there on a full battery. :) I'd just need enough to get back to San Marcos, then, because that's very similar time to back home.. As it was we slept in a bit later than planned before discovering my well-intentioned oversight, then got waylaid on-route by another winery in Brenham, and by the end of "lunch" we shifted plans and didn't try reach Johnson City for the day before turning around.

P.S. I really need to get some cards with Tesla's DC program details on it. "Look, if you want me to visit again you'll get Tesla to give you some free stuff." Like some grape juice imbued door to door missionary.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I work and live near this location. It's not a mall this is parking lot space behind REI. I've only ever seen one car parked in the 30+ spots back there in a few years.

The spot is close to lots of great places. Sushi, Panera, Whole Foods, and a not very good Mexican restaurant also movie theater and other retail shops. It's a busy corridor so getting there is likely the biggest issue. Based on what I've seen in better covered urban areas, these will be the new urban superchargers capped at 72kw

• Informative
Reactions: TexasDuke
Friday around 4PM, I got the only open spot right as somebody was leaving. The queue grew to at least three while I was charging. (Sorry, all, I actually did need 90+% since I was heading into freezing rain at night with no destination charging and a long way to go.) One model 3 came, sat a while, and left, so I'm assuming he was a local.
PS: I avoided that location on my way back and went out of my way to San Marcos. There was a young couple there with a Model 3. They were obviously new owners and very excited about the whole thing. "Oh look, an S! Is that an X?! That wasn't here before." I loved the enthusiasm. It reminded me not to be so jaded and cynical.

Horrible location. One way in and out. Back in to charge with limited room.
I agree with all of this, but at least there's a decent restaurant now, Easy Tiger, just a short walk away (it opened in December). Before Easy Tiger, it was truly a wasteland. I love the SC in Waco, always make it a point to visit the Collin Street Bakery there. Hard to believe that San Marcos and Waco have more charging stalls than Austin.

Thanks for the Kilo Whiskey Hotels. Notes from a Houston boy

I was in town this Friday, fiddling at SXSW and the hours plugged in to a P.I.E. ChargePoint just wasn’t going to get me to Columbus with any cushion. Oh wait! There’s a SC now! I read about that one...

• Huh. Never seen a 0 Stalls Available icon on a TX SC before.
  • Downright charmed by the Clipper Creek unit perched (like a thoughtfully functional steampunk sculpture) by the entrance.
  • Security is visible and thorough, checking the paddock’s padlock etc. on their rounds
Didn’t need near the ¿40 minute? allotment, got 60 kW rate and that beats the 30A compliance chargers any day. (Will be seriously reevaluating that Austin Energy Plug-in subscription now.)

Shout out to the Nav getting me past rush-hour highways and onto some FM roads for a much more fun drive!

Fiddle Tax:
D4FEE1EA-B40C-4E74-AB20-13E1248D72EC.jpeg