Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Baker, CA (LIVE / EXPANDED 40 V2 + 20 V3 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am the first Tesla owner to charge at Baker!View attachment 260441 View attachment 260440
Workers congratulate the first customer charging.
View attachment 260438 View attachment 260439 View attachment 260442 View attachment 260443 View attachment 260444 View attachment 260445 View attachment 260447 View attachment 260446

Tesla technician checked each Supercharger. I will move my vehicle to get a faster charge.

The pics don't explicitly show them, but I think I see 5 PowerPacks and a PowerPack inverter.

Thx for the power pack count. I've been asking at electrek but no one knew.

Question for you guys. I'm fairly new and I'm confused why this thread is in the California events section instead of charging and infrastructure. I never would have thought to look here.

Thx for the power pack count. I've been asking at electrek but no one knew.

Question for you guys. I'm fairly new and I'm confused why this thread is in the California events section instead of charging and infrastructure. I never would have thought to look here.
I agree. Some of these topics are a challenge to locate. The supercharge.info website helps, as they provide a "discuss" link no matter where the author created it.

Yea, as I said, my math was probably way off.

Although while the panels are rated for 300w, in real life you never get that outside of a lab. In the lab you would get 1.368MW, outside in the real world much less. That’s what I based my calculations on. 800kW in ideal real world perfect conditions outside.

To get your numbers the panels would need to be angled perfectly at the sun for the entire day.

Baker likely will rarely, if ever, achieve "real world perfect conditions." At the equinoxes the temperatures will be well over 77 degrees (isn't that the laboratory standard?). By the summer solstice the temperatures in direct sunlight could easily exceed 125 degrees. How much generation loss is there due to the extremely hot temperatures?

Thank You Tesla! Finally I don't have to worry about getting down to my last % on my way to Barstow.
As I said upthread, Baker is so close to Vegas, that it is most helpful to those who are returning from there without a full charge. Yermo is just a tad closer than Barstow. Close enough to address those who barely make it into Barstow. If given the choice, I would rather shoot for Yermo or Barstow and arrive with a lower state of charge and get a more rapid charge.

Reactions: Mark Z
Details on the DQ and TE. Both Dairy Queen and Tapioca Express are not open 24/7, so check with the gas station if you need to know the exact operating schedule for your visit. 10 AM to 9 PM should be okay. The gas station is open 24/7.

View attachment 260577 View attachment 260578 View attachment 260579 View attachment 260581 View attachment 260580 View attachment 260582 View attachment 260583 View attachment 260584 View attachment 260585

Off place to see tapioca express....

Currently here and it's not open yet. I talked to one off the electricians and he wouldn't say when it will open...only "soon".

Plugged in and wouldn't charge.

Attachments

• 20171117_103151.jpg
    20171117_103151.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 163
  • 20171117_103055.jpg
    20171117_103055.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 134
  • 20171117_103049.jpg
    20171117_103049.jpg
    338.7 KB · Views: 130
Currently here and it's not open yet. I talked to one off the electricians and he wouldn't say when it will open...only "soon". Plugged in and wouldn't charge.
Thanks for the current update of NO charging.

With Baker taken off the Supercharger map completely after my slow charge, we appreciate the news. Some progress is apparent as the yellow steel posts are up on the west side in the third photo.

When Baker is open again “soon”, someone check if an electric meter was added to the gray cabinet on the north side.

Link to the Tesla Supercharger map of Baker, CA: Find Us | Tesla

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
So you're saying you broke it? :D
Let’s just say I tested it and reported the facts. The kW status video spoke volumes of how it was acting up. Thankfully I had time to spare, since the charging problem didn’t surface at first. Grateful, that Tesla took it off the map later so others would not suffer with a slow charge in Baker. (I called Tesla before driving by Barstow to double check if Baker was open on 11/15. They said “yes”. Just in case, I had enough range to reach Primm if needed. Not enough to return to Barstow.)

One more thing... at Baker, the vehicle must face toward the road (southeast) for optimal capacity. For ease of use, enter on the northwest side of the stations to drive though. Otherwise, you can back in. During busy times there should be some interesting photos of how this can be messed up where one car faces northwest, takes up two spaces and charges with an adjacent Supercharger. Result: Three Superchargers not accessible by the one badly parked car.

Eddie World...cleanest toilets. Gonna be a great stopping point. Lots of personality.
I agree, Yermo will be a favorite place to stop. Quick freeway off/on access for more time to charge, refresh, and enjoy sweets.

Last edited:
As I said upthread, Baker is so close to Vegas, that it is most helpful to those who are returning from there without a full charge. Yermo is just a tad closer than Barstow. Close enough to address those who barely make it into Barstow. If given the choice, I would rather shoot for Yermo or Barstow and arrive with a lower state of charge and get a more rapid charge.

Also, Baker is good for those who are bypassing Vegas and do not wish to Supercharge there if their battery is large enough to make it to or from the St. George Supercharger. It is also much faster exiting and returning to Interstate 15 at Baker than it would be at either of the Las Vegas locations.

The Mad Greek, an great famous dining location is 0.3 miles east. A 10 minute walk by abandon buildings and over a poorly maintained vehicle bridge requires you watch your step! A flashlight would be a must at night. The Mad Greek is open 24/7, so enjoyable food
The Mad Greek, an great famous dining location is 0.3 miles east. A 10 minute walk by abandon buildings and over a poorly maintained vehicle bridge requires you watch your step! A flashlight would be a must at night. The Mad Greek is open 24/7, so enjoyable food is always available.

That will be a pleasant walk when it is 115゚ outside