Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Beatty, NV (live 2016/2/9)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a word of warning to be sure to charge up quite a bit if you are headed from Beatty to Tonopah. It's only ~95 miles but the combination of high speeds and the elevation gain are just brutal on your range. I charged up to about 220 "miles," then headed out and later regretted not charging more. During the first half of the trip I was burning through range miles at a greater than 2:1 ratio to actual miles. At that point I slowed down to under the speed limit and turned off the climate control to be safe. Ended up making it with about 20 miles of range left as I didn't use up any miles at all on the last part of the trip as there is a decrease in elevation between Tonopah Summit and the Supercharger in Tonopah itself. Temps were in the 70s on this trip but it can get extremely cold in this area in winter and I can assure you it is not the type of place where you would want to be stuck on the side of the road as it is extremely desolate. Furthermore, there are zero public charging options between Beatty and Tonopah. I was in a brand new Model S 90D. If you are in something like a 60, I would go for a full charge and drive slow.

• Informative
Reactions: Owner
Just a word of warning to be sure to charge up quite a bit if you are headed from Beatty to Tonopah. It's only ~95 miles but the combination of high speeds and the elevation gain are just brutal on your range. I charged up to about 220 "miles," then headed out and later regretted not charging more. During the first half of the trip I was burning through range miles at a greater than 2:1 ratio to actual miles. At that point I slowed down to under the speed limit and turned off the climate control to be safe. Ended up making it with about 20 miles of range left as I didn't use up any miles at all on the last part of the trip as there is a decrease in elevation between Tonopah Summit and the Supercharger in Tonopah itself. Temps were in the 70s on this trip but it can get extremely cold in this area in winter and I can assure you it is not the type of place where you would want to be stuck on the side of the road as it is extremely desolate. Furthermore, there are zero public charging options between Beatty and Tonopah. I was in a brand new Model S 90D. If you are in something like a 60, I would go for a full charge and drive slow.
Something seems off here. evtripplanner.com with parameters of speed multiple 1.3 = 85 mph, a headwind of 30 mph, inside/outside temps = 72F, says the trip should take 46 kWh, 164 RM.

I did this trip on July 19. I left Beatty with a 65% SOC; the car estimated I'd arrive at Tonopah with 22%. Alas, I forgot to record my Tonopah arrival, but I don't recall any range anxiety. Outside temps were 85-95; I drove 75-80 mph.

• Informative
Reactions: Owner
Something seems off here. evtripplanner.com with parameters of speed multiple 1.3 = 85 mph, a headwind of 30 mph, inside/outside temps = 72F, says the trip should take 46 kWh, 164 RM.

I did this trip on July 19. I left Beatty with a 65% SOC; the car estimated I'd arrive at Tonopah with 22%. Alas, I forgot to record my Tonopah arrival, but I don't recall any range anxiety. Outside temps were 85-95; I drove 75-80 mph.

It did seem strange to me as well as my car has not performed this poorly in any other circumstance. I even drove Lincoln City, OR to Crescent City, CA on one charge and made it with ease although I was driving carefully for at least the first half of that trip. I will say that it was quite windy on the Beatty-Tonopah leg. I didn't quite catch the direction of the wind but it could have been a head wind I suppose. I originally had the cruise control set to 78mph and was passing cars who were going 60-70mph. I got up as high as 90mph a couple times on those passes. But like I said, later in the trip, once the range anxiety set in, I turned off the climate control and reduced speed to 65mph. With those adjustments, I ended up making it easily, but I can assure you that I was losing rated miles at a rate of something like 2.3:1 actual miles on the first half of this trip.

Well this thread is about as lonely as the supercharger itself! Went there last weekend and it was a great experience. Definitely no need to charge to 100% despite range anxiety out in the middle of nowhere, especially if you're heading into Death Valley. I think you drop so far in elevation going to Stovepipe Wells that you'll end up with the same SOC as when you started. One thing to note: Tesla's estimation of how many stalls are open is not great... said 3 were being used and then I arrived, it was dead. See photos (and that 1 car is mine).

Also, be sure to take the scenic route around town, you might chance upon some of the friendly (furry) locals!

IMG_1003.jpeg IMG_1004.jpg
IMG_1017.jpeg