Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Bishop, CA (LIVE 18 Nov 2020, 12 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have some family there, I've asked them to send me some pics if they see it has changed.

They have begun...looks like it's going to be on the south side of the parking lot.

Attachments

• received_1250561531978094.jpeg
    received_1250561531978094.jpeg
    1,002.2 KB · Views: 158
  • received_359781982091347.jpeg
    received_359781982091347.jpeg
    788.1 KB · Views: 129
  • received_1107646822966965.jpeg
    received_1107646822966965.jpeg
    831.2 KB · Views: 122
Bishop

I have it on pretty good authority that Tesla is actively pursuing a Supercharger in Bishop. Details still need to be hammered out before a permit is issued, so it is anyone's guess when a permit is finally granted.

That said, Bishop is also at the junction of US6 with US395, and US6 provides access eastward to Tonopah and Ely across the Great Basin. I feel that Tesla will eventually back fill the Supercharger Highway for US95 between Reno and Las Vegas; US93/US93A from Wells/West Wendover to Las Vegas. This will require a Supercharger in Tonopah and Ely and Caliente to be able to reach Lost Wages and points south for all the snowbirds from Canada.

California State Route 120 is frequently closed during the winter (if we will ever get snow again) from 8 miles east of its eastern junction with US395 to Benton Hot Springs, but US6 is always open.

Lee Vining makes more sense than Bridgeport, but maybe Tesla will endeavor to place a Supercharger in Gardnerville or Minden instead, with a destination charger at the Whoa Nellie Deli at the foot of Tioga Road. We will just have to stay tuned!
Five yrs later, we have shovels in the dirt! It's nice to have options.

Thanks for the photos! Maybe that is where the equipment is going. The original plans called for the stalls be located along the building on the east side of the lot. I trashed the plans. No wait, I just found them:

View attachment 577769 View attachment 577770
Nice! Yep looks like that's where the big equipment is going to be buried. I'm glad to see the actual stalls should be more along the street,I thought it was an odd decision to have them along that fence.

Thanks for the photos! Maybe that is where the equipment is going. The original plans called for the stalls be located along the building on the east side of the lot. I trashed the plans. No wait, I just found them:

View attachment 577769 View attachment 577770
Much needed, just drove this route from Lake Tahoe to Long Beach, got to Lone Pine with 9% without stopping in out of the way Mammoth.
I want to stop in town for Schatt's Bakery going N or S, so this will be my future stop vs. Lone Pine.

Much needed, just drove this route from Lake Tahoe to Long Beach, got to Lone Pine with 9% without stopping in out of the way Mammoth.
I want to stop in town for Schatt's Bakery going N or S, so this will be my future stop vs. Lone Pine.
Saving the occasional driver a ten minute detour hardly qualifies for "much needed". This is a nice to have convenience. It's a wonderful thing that Tesla has gotten to the point where nice to have convenient superchargers are making the priority list.

Saving the occasional driver a ten minute detour hardly qualifies for "much needed". This is a nice to have convenience. It's a wonderful thing that Tesla has gotten to the point where nice to have convenient superchargers are making the priority list.
I personally find this location very appealing. With a long range Model S, I can make it from West LA (south of the Sepulveda pass) to Bishop without having to stop. I would arrive in Bishop with a low SOC, and get a rapid charge to make it up the hill for the weekend. Coming back, Bishop is less needed, as there is sufficient gain down the hill.

I personally find this location very appealing. With a long range Model S, I can make it from West LA (south of the Sepulveda pass) to Bishop without having to stop. I would arrive in Bishop with a low SOC, and get a rapid charge to make it up the hill for the weekend. Coming back, Bishop is less needed, as there is sufficient gain down the hill.
Also not everyone is driving through. There are many destinations between Lone Pine and Mammoth. For example a trip up Rock Creek would be a 180 mile round trip from Lone Pine, definitely a stretch in many Teslas.
The same issue exists on the western side of the Sierra along the 99. Roads end in Sequoia NP is 390 miles round trip with no superchargers from Southern California. Looking forward to the Visalia location too!

Same with Long Range Model 3 too except I'd be able to make it to Lone Pine from Pasadena in one shot. Bishop is essential in that if LP is out of commission then that is a needed backup (and vice versa).

Bishop will also help Lone Pine.

Because of charging taper, 15 minutes in Lone Pine can be replaced with 5-minute pee breaks in LP and Bishop.

Plus, for those headed to Mammoth, Bishop’s location only 40 (uphill) miles from destination might somewhat reduce the comfort buffer people feel they need.
Exactly. I am always going to a big charge at LP, going deep into the taper before I leave. I get a max range of 242 right now, and typically leave LP at 210, arriving at Mammoth with around 50. The superchargers at Mammoth totally suck too, and really have from the get-go. Once I upgrade my S to a 400 RM version, I can hit Bishop in a single shot, charge very rapidly to 200, which will hold me at Mammoth for a couple of days easily before I have to think about it.

• Informative
Reactions: beachmiles