Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Brewer, ME

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don;t think Presque Isle is on the 2016 list. Actually, there is some debate as to the location of that other dot on the border with NB. Is it Houlton, or Woodstock? The latter makes more sense in many way, but I had always assumed it was Houlton. Others think Woodstock.

Woodstock definitely makes more sense overall, although Brewer to Woodstock would be 137 miles, which is not something you'd want to be doing on a nasty winter day. Really, you'd want both, or maybe even something before Houlton, if they could somehow find a decent spot.

Nope - 24/7.

That 's good to know. The plugshare entry which states the hours are the dealer hours should be updated. Why is a worry is mention that a Model S could not recharge on July 23rd. Since then, there have been successful check-ins, but none are clearly indicated as Tesla.

The S. Burlington, VT Nissan dealer has the same model of CHAdeMO and last year the clunky latch on the pistol was broken and Teslas could not charge. With LEAFs, it still worked since the weight of the pistol kept the connector plugged in.

With the Tesla adapter, gravity works against you, so if the locking mechanism is broken, you are in trouble.

That 's good to know. The plugshare entry which states the hours are the dealer hours should be updated. Why is a worry is mention that a Model S could not recharge on July 23rd. Since then, there have been successful check-ins, but none are clearly indicated as Tesla.

The S. Burlington, VT Nissan dealer has the same model of CHAdeMO and last year the clunky latch on the pistol was broken and Teslas could not charge. With LEAFs, it still worked since the weight of the pistol kept the connector plugged in.

With the Tesla adapter, gravity works against you, so if the locking mechanism is broken, you are in trouble.

The guy on plugshare had issues with connecting his adapter - not the charger itself. When I was there on July 22, I experienced the often cited overheating, but no major issues with getting the adapter to stick. That said, the adapter is certainly clunky and heavy, and does take a little effort to secure. Heck, my first time using it, it took me a few minutes to figure it out - especially the locking part. My take on that comment is that the guy could not get the adapter connected, the staff assumed it was related the reported overheating issues and the driver assumed all was broken.

Will be a mute point very soon with Brewer almost online.

• Helpful
Reactions: RiverBrick
I'm sitting at darling's Nissan charging for our drive to NB tomorrow.

Brewer SC is still fenced off. Signs and stalls are in but still covered. What look like lamp posts are not up yet.

Hopefully the power company gets off its ass and hooks up this SC before I come back on the 19th because, seriously, CHAdeMO sucks. Slow, clunky, and buggy. After using superchargers CHAdeMO is lame.

Still I'm very grateful to darling's for the free electricity. It will make the trip to Canada possible.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    439 KB · Views: 119
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    423.6 KB · Views: 93
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    400.9 KB · Views: 101
Reactions: rypalmer
To 5YJSA and others, thank you so very much for providing pics for us owners not close enough to check out these SC. This one in Maine appears to be one that people would likely be using this summer and definitely in the winter when skiing season is upon us. Looking forward to this being open hopefully in the next few weeks !!!

Does anyone else see the need to push for St. John, NB SC. The beauty of that location is that it is a workable distance from Brewer ME and opens up not only much or New Brunswick, but because of the ferry to Nova Scotia opens up that area too. Get on the ferry with a full charge and return on the return ferry to St. J with minimal charge. I think there's enough charging stations in NS to keep you going till you can get back to the ferry. Does that make sense to anyone else. I've only had my 90D since April and I'm still figuring things out.

Does anyone else see the need to push for St. John, NB SC. The beauty of that location is that it is a workable distance from Brewer ME and opens up not only much or New Brunswick, but because of the ferry to Nova Scotia opens up that area too. Get on the ferry with a full charge and return on the return ferry to St. J with minimal charge. I think there's enough charging stations in NS to keep you going till you can get back to the ferry. Does that make sense to anyone else. I've only had my 90D since April and I'm still figuring things out.

I agree. I think Saint John, Moncton and Woodstock would do the trick. Need Moncton for those on the TC bypassing SJ from the north. NS will need one somewhere as well to really open it up. Also, prime area for Model 3 sales = the Maritimes.

I agree. I think Saint John, Moncton and Woodstock would do the trick. Need Moncton for those on the TC bypassing SJ from the north. NS will need one somewhere as well to really open it up. Also, prime area for Model 3 sales = the Maritimes.

Saint John would be good.

Woodstock, when it opens though, will get you to Moncton from either brewer OR rivière du loup. So I don't expect Saint John any time soon because, as a route to Moncton, it would require you to use the slower Maine highway 9. (Which I prefer but I doubt many other people want the slow road instead of the interstate.) For those brave enough (like me) you can already drive from Moncton to brewer Maine in a 75D on a full charge--at least in the summer, if you drive slowly enough.

And if Saint John is your actual destination you can already get there from brewer, and prob from Woodstock.

Beyond Moncton, NS is a very different problem. You need a station at Truro but also two in the south and at least two up north because the province has a sort of "figure 8" highway structure with the middle point at Truro. You can't get around the Cabot trail on one charge, even if it's at the canso causeway. Similarly you can't get from Halifax around the south shore and back. So likely we need at least 6 chargers in NS to do the trick and that's a hard sell for a small province. My fingers are crossed though because I'm from NS.

I don't think the use case for Saint John is strong. See my comment above.

The only planned station in NB so far is Woodstock and I would put money on the next being Moncton (because that would get you to Halifax, which is the biggest population Centre east of Quebec City and north of Boston).

Saint John would be good.

Woodstock, when it opens though, will get you to Moncton from either brewer OR rivière du loup. So I don't expect Saint John any time soon because, as a route to Moncton, it would require you to use the slower Maine highway 9. (Which I prefer but I doubt many other people want the slow road instead of the interstate.) For those brave enough (like me) you can already drive from Moncton to brewer Maine in a 75D on a full charge--at least in the summer, if you drive slowly enough.

And if Saint John is your actual destination you can already get there from brewer, and prob from Woodstock.

Beyond Moncton, NS is a very different problem. You need a station at Truro but also two in the south and at least two up north because the province has a sort of "figure 8" highway structure with the middle point at Truro. You can't get around the Cabot trail on one charge, even if it's at the canso causeway. Similarly you can't get from Halifax around the south shore and back. So likely we need at least 6 chargers in NS to do the trick and that's a hard sell for a small province. My fingers are crossed though because I'm from NS.

Good points. Can you clarify your route 9 comments though? The only real way to get from Brewer to Moncton is Route 9 through Calais. Sorry - might be confused!

Good points. Can you clarify your route 9 comments though? The only real way to get from Brewer to Moncton is Route 9 through Calais. Sorry - might be confused!

The time to drive from brewer to Moncton is the same on highway 9 or on the I-95/transcanada highway. The latter is 50km longer but the higher speed limit (on the I-95) means travel time is the same. And the I-95 goes to Woodstock and since tesla has advertised plans to build a charger there I assume that's their reason.

The time to drive from brewer to Moncton is the same on highway 9 or on the I-95/transcanada highway. The latter is 50km longer but the higher speed limit (on the I-95) means travel time is the same. And the I-95 goes to Woodstock and since tesla has advertised plans to build a charger there I assume that's their reason.

Gotcha. Having grown up in SJ, Route 9 was always our route to Bangor and we never considered 95as it is quote a bit longer. Brewer to SJ is 167 miles via route 9 or 2 hours, 50 minutes on google maps. Brewer to SJ via 95 is 257 miles and 3 hours 47 minutes.

Now Moncton is a better comparison from Brewer. Via Route 9 it is 261 miles and 4 hours 16 minutes. Via 95, it is 298, 4 hours 23 minutes. Woodstock to Moncton is 161 miles, or about 2 hours 25 minutes.

I think given winter issues, three in NB would be great at some point as I noted earlier. Folks also tend to prefer smaller cars there too, meaning the M3 might have a market if the infrastructure was in place.