Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Brooklyn, NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is ridiculous. Other than the submeter, what else could they be waiting on?
License electric who is working in this area told me ConEd miscalculated something and power greed in this area cannot handle such power. They blow up transformar in this area on test run and trying to figure out what to do next. ConEd sucks and never on rush. They rush only when you paying your bill or they giving you ticket for violation.

• Funny
Reactions: chymerix
License electric who is working in this area told me ConEd miscalculated something and power greed in this area cannot handle such power. They blow up transformar in this area on test run and trying to figure out what to do next. ConEd sucks and never on rush. They rush only when you paying your bill or they giving you ticket for violation.
wow thats crazy. So this is definitely not opening this year.

Same with NYC, never rush in fixing the MTA, but rush to put congestion pricing infrastructure in to cash grab us which is why I'm pissed. Don't mind taking the subway nor funding it, but it's dysfunctional and will never get fixed no matter what.

This mean Mobil charger can give you 48A or 11 kW?

Sorry I didn't finish typing, In process of installing the 14-50 upstate and installing wall charger in the city. For both installs we're using 50amps, anticipating 40amps for the wall charger not sure what the mobile charger will provide.
I'm currently using the mobile charger on 110v. which works for now since I'm currently driving about 50 miles/day.

Sorry I didn't finish typing, In process of installing the 14-50 upstate and installing wall charger in the city. For both installs we're using 50amps, anticipating 40amps for the wall charger not sure what the mobile charger will provide.
I'm currently using the mobile charger on 110v. which works for now since I'm currently driving about 50 miles/day.

Just finished the upstate install . For 50A on a 14-50 outlet, I'm getting 32A 27 mile/hour on the mobile connector.

This mean Mobil charger can give you 48A or 11 kW?
The mobile charger does NOT do any current higher than 32A at 240 VAC, no matter what socket adapter one plugs into it.

With respect to the NEMA14-50, there's at least one interesting reason for this.

Point #1: Copper is expensive.

Point #2: There are 10A 240 VAC sockets; there are 20A 240 VAC sockets; there are 30A 240 VAC sockets; and there are 50A 240 VAC sockets. You'll all note that there are no 40A 240 VAC sockets.

Point #3: However, there are plenty of 240VAC 40A loads - like electric stoves and electric clothes driers. And, remember, electricians really don't like spending money on copper.

Point #4: In general, the socket amperage, the ampacity of the wire in the wall, and the breaker current rating are all supposed to match. And generally do: Safety first!

Except that the NEC, in a bow to all those electricians who like to save money, allows one to have a 40A breaker, 40A-rated wire... and a NEMA14-50 socket. One of these is not like the others.

This works fine for electric stoves and clothes driers, and I imagine that there's nifty labeling rules so, say, one doesn't plug a 50A welder into a 40A socket by mistake. But 20 or 30 years after such an installation, how likely is it that the label is still there?

So, with Tesla and the Mobile Connector, it's not possible for the Mobile Connector to tell if it's really, truly a 50A circuit on a NEMA14-50 socket.. or a 40A circuit.

The rule is: Run a continuous heavy load on a circuit, and one is not supposed to run more than 80% of the circuit rating. So, a 50A circuit would allow for 40A, and the wire and socket wouldn't get too hot and burn the insulation or create a house fire as a result. But if one has a 40A circuit, whose maximum current is 32A steady by the NEC rule, and one runs 40A on it..

The NEC rules are there for a reason. Power gets dissipated in copper wire by current*current*resistance; that gets the wire warm. That heat energy has to go somewhere: Through the insulation of the wire, through the building insulation in the wall, through the drywall, and to the outside environment. The NEC/UL/Similar Agencies actually build test structures in environmental chambers and Measure The Temperatures of It All, then rate wires accordingly. Violate those rules.. well, if one doesn't get nuisance trips running 40A on a 40A breaker, there's likely to be long term, unanticipated wear on both the breaker and wire, and one doesn't want either of those to fail.

So, Tesla plays it safe. With a NEMA14-50, 32A, max, is what you get, period. 240*32 = 7.68 kW or so.

Now, with a Wall Connector, that's hardwired, and the person doing the hardwiring knows darn well what type and gauge wire they're using and, if the breaker panel has the capacity, they can put a 60A breaker in there, with the right wire gauge to match. Commission the Wall Connector for that size circuit, and then one gets 80% of 60A = 48A @ 240V = 11.52 kW. And about 45 miles of charge per hour, which is the most a LR or P version of a Tesla can do.

Note, however: LR and P versions of Teslas have three (count them, three!) 16A rectifiers that, between the three of them, can handle 48A. The SR versions of Tesla have but two (two!) of those rectifiers, so the most they can do is 32A, anyway. So, even with a Wall Connector on a 60A circuit, the most you'll see with one of those SR cars is 32A in any case. Which sizes the charger to the (smaller) size of the battery and makes the car less expensive, which is the point.

Last edited:
Reactions: abalexab and vlee
The meters have been installed since the last time I drove by a couple of weeks ago so maybe they figured out the power load issue? 🤞

Attachments

• IMG_0202.jpeg
    IMG_0202.jpeg
    426 KB · Views: 57
I just completed the Retrofit on my Tesla Model 3. So I can at least deal with my CCS adapter, at a EV GO. Location. I’ll have more options. Plus it’s cheaper I was told.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. But if you use Bluedot app to activate the charging session, I'd say it is cheaper >95% of the time. You can compare the 25c/30c Bluedot app rate vs SuC with 20% discount (using Bluedot VISA) to see if it's worth the hassle to mess with the adapter.