Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Buena Park, CA (removed from car nav 31 Aug 2018 but still operational, 8 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking forward to this location, it's the closest one to me, although the traffic on the 5 fwy means I avoid it when driving through if I can. With the SC active, I might put up with the traffic to do a quick charge on my way to various destinations in OC.

Any updates from local folks? Any day now, I can't wait.

• Helpful
Reactions: Jason Shelton
Wow. Seems like lots of locals are interested in this location. I hope you get to use it when needed, but please, only when needed. Charging at a SC not only takes a spot, but slows down the rate of charge for everyone else. If you live only a few miles away, you should charge at home and leave these stalls open for those who need a rapid charge to get on their way.

Wow. Seems like lots of locals are interested in this location. I hope you get to use it when needed, but please, only when needed. Charging at a SC not only takes a spot, but slows down the rate of charge for everyone else
That is not accurate. Charging stalls are "paired" so if you are charging at stall 1A and someone pulls into stall 1B and starts to charge, your charge rate in not effected but the car in 1B will not get the maximum charge rate their battery can handle (which varies depending on the battery charge level). So a car charging does not effect "everyone else" who is charging at a Supercharger location.

Cars charging in other stalls, like 2A and B are generally not effected by what stalls 1A and B are charging at. There are probably some exceptions (which I think we owners don't fully understand but Tesla and the supplying utility may).

That is not accurate. Charging stalls are "paired" so if you are charging at stall 1A and someone pulls into stall 1B and starts to charge, your charge rate in not effected but the car in 1B will not get the maximum charge rate their battery can handle (which varies depending on the battery charge level). So a car charging does not effect "everyone else" who is charging at a Supercharger location.

Cars charging in other stalls, like 2A and B are generally not effected by what stalls 1A and B are charging at. There are probably some exceptions (which I think we owners don't fully understand but Tesla and the supplying utility may).
It is this last part that I am referring to. We have all heard lots of reports of charge reductions when things are really busy (or really hot). Regardless, if a local is charging just because it is close to his or her home, and not out of necessity, then whoever pairs with them gets a reduced rate. Sure, there may be other non-paired stalls available, but that could change at any moment.

Note that there are a few exceptions to the 1A 1B "rule". You'll find some SCs on the road with stickers that say "This pedestal is paired with..." Sometimes it's what you'd expect, and sometimes not.

Just something to keep in mind.

Not to be confused with the occasional 1A 2A 3A 4A 1B 2B 3B 4B arrangement.

I was there today. They said another 3-4 weeks for the utility to get things wrapped up. So, it is no longer in Tesla's court. Also heard that the service lounge may be open late/early so you can grab a water and use the restroom. There will be security there after normal business hours.

Access would be nice for people to have 24/7. Wondered if there would be coded access as there is elsewhere (code shows up on the touchscreen); human security better tho, and makes sense, given the givens.

Thanks for the updates @Camera-Cruiser - would be interesting to see how many locals use this SC and how it impacts availability. I was hoping to use it regularly when I drive from LA to San Diego, but looks like it may attract a lot more locals, which defeats the purpose of stopping there.

I don't think it will be as bad as Burbank...or SJC, for that matter.

Thanks for the updates @Camera-Cruiser - would be interesting to see how many locals use this SC and how it impacts availability. I was hoping to use it regularly when I drive from LA to San Diego, but looks like it may attract a lot more locals, which defeats the purpose of stopping there.
Who knows what locals will or won't do. There is nothing to do there other than hang out and look at Tesla's, get a free water, use the restroom, and move on.

Only time will tell. It will be great for northbound 5FWY traffic. Probably 30 seconds from freeway to charger. Maybe 5 minutes for southbound users.

I was there today, the 8 superchargers were not numbered yet but ready to go per service advisor. Awaiting SCE to come down & approve everything, some time in September.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    352.9 KB · Views: 107
Just picked up my S85 at Buena Park in for service with failed master on-board charger. My car sat on the lot for 3 days before diagnosis, 6 days total. Cars are processed in order received, appointments irrelevant. Every possible legal parking spot except handicap was full, and some cars double-parked in back. Every Supercharger stall had a car. They are predicting September 15 for Superchargers going live. It will be hard to keep folks coming in for service from parking in the stalls when no other spots are available.

Explanation for why so crowded: Buena Park is now a major CPO "Depot" where many CPO cars are waiting for certification before being listed online. 5 of the 10 service stalls are dedicated to this CPO work, so they are not completing regular service on cars as fast as cars are coming in. About 30 cars on the lot waiting service. Also a lot of cars waiting for delivery. A lot of cars were being washed.

Tip for folks interested in buying a CPO: Call Buena Park. They will definitely tell you what cars they have in inventory awaiting certification. They are not listed online until certification. They will show you and sell you any of these cars immediately, with pickup after certification.

Tip for folks interested in buying a CPO: Call Buena Park. They will definitely tell you what cars they have in inventory awaiting certification. They are not listed online until certification. They will show you and sell you any of these cars immediately, with pickup after certification.
Yup. Thats how I got my CPO. Buena Park IS the Tesla flavored candy store!