Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Buena Park, CA (removed from car nav 31 Aug 2018 but still operational, 8 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, it is not the parking spaces.

The last hold-up is almost always the utility, in this case SCE. Often there is a major delay in delivery and installation of the high voltage transformer, which is usually owned by the utility. Has someone already posted confirmation or photo that the transformer has been installed? It is usually a large green cabinet. I forgot to check this when I was there several weeks ago.

After the high-voltage transformer has been installed, SCE has to come out and "bless" the installation and authorize the turn-on of the power. Then a Tesla technician does the final checkout and commissioning of each charger pair. This last step can be done in one day.

No, it is not the parking spaces.

The last hold-up is almost always the utility, in this case SCE. Often there is a major delay in delivery and installation of the high voltage transformer, which is usually owned by the utility. Has someone already posted confirmation or photo that the transformer has been installed? It is usually a large green cabinet. I forgot to check this when I was there several weeks ago.

After the high-voltage transformer has been installed, SCE has to come out and "bless" the installation and authorize the turn-on of the power. Then a Tesla technician does the final checkout and commissioning of each charger pair. This last step can be done in one day.
I just heard that the Santa Ana super charger will be open way before the Buena Park super charger. How is this possible? Buena Park started construction 3 months before Santa Ana. Hahaha jk jk

I really wish Tesla maintained a site with data on the usage of each SC, similar to the old one at Hawthorne, that would be accessible to us. A website would be great. I am particularly interested in seeing if either this or the Santa Ana SCs result in any impact on SJC usage. For me, if I was heading down or up the I-5, to/from San Diego, I would definitely avoid SJC and stop here or at Santa Ana.

The big impact, or lack of, for me would be FV. I doubt either of these sites would have that much of an impact on FV, unless people who would otherwise use the 5 are intentionally heading up the 405 since there is currently no charging on their desired route. Conversely, I typically take the 405. If it meant accessibility for charging, I would take the 5 now, and divert to West LA later. FV and SJC just plain suck.

The big impact, or lack of, for me would be FV. I doubt either of these sites would have that much of an impact on FV, unless people who would otherwise use the 5 are intentionally heading up the 405 since there is currently no charging on their desired route. Conversely, I typically take the 405. If it meant accessibility for charging, I would take the 5 now, and divert to West LA later. FV and SJC just plain suck.
I imagine that these will take up some slack. BP is at the 91/5 interchange so you can check the traffic on the 5, or just take the 91 and branch up the 605, 710, 110, or 405 depending on the LA destination. I am almost always 91 to 405 then to the 10 to get to Malibu or the Palisades. I have yet to need a SC visit on my normal travels, but it might be helpful if I want to go down to south county after a big LA drive day.

Buena Park needs a parking garage to hold all the recent new vehicles jammed in every available space. With new vehicles in the Supercharger parking, I would suggest to charge at home for now. IMHO, expect things to improve after the rush to get as many new vehicles to customers in the 3rd quarter as possible.

IMG_6094.jpg

IMG_6095.jpg

IMG_6014.jpg

Buena Park needs a parking garage to hold all the recent new vehicles jammed in every available space. With new vehicles in the Supercharger parking, I would suggest to charge at home for now. IMHO, expect things to improve after the rush to get as many new vehicles to customers in the 3rd quarter as possible.
I was thinking the same thing. Every time I've been there, whether for a weekend social or for a technician appointment, the place is packed to the gills with vehicles.

The last time I was there they said they are having trouble giving out loaners because the loaners are available for purchase so, if someone wants one and it's loaned out, they have to get it back from whoever has it to be able to hopefully sell it. When I was there, everyone else around me at that time was also sent to Enterprise to get a loaner.

Seems weird to have all those new or newish Tesla vehicles everywhere yet loaners are hard to come by, right?

I wrote as if they were operational since it could happen any day. Once the Superchargers are powered it should be a very busy location.
Thank you for explaining that. I could not tell you were referring to the future when you wrote:
Buena Park needs a parking garage to hold all the recent new vehicles jammed in every available space. With new vehicles in the Supercharger parking, I would suggest to charge at home for now.

BuenaParkChargers-X2.jpg

Above: Transformer pad - photo for previous post identified by the Manager.

Below: Charger units behind heavy metal barrier like a shipping container. I have been to at least 30 different SC locations in 4 states, and this is the heaviest security I have seen. To left of front entrance to Sales room.

Lots of cars, at least several dozen, with shipping cloth still attached, cluttering the lot. Presumably they have owners waiting, but too busy to do final prep to get them out the door. This, together with backlog of cars awaiting CPO and general service makes for a big mess.

With Elon's big push to get as much revenue in before the end of the month, I imagine they are happy to have the Supercharging spots for general parking right now.

BuenaParkChargers2-X2.jpg

Last edited: