Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Buena Park, CA (removed from car nav 31 Aug 2018 but still operational, 8 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went when it was closed so I couldn't talk to anyone. It looks like they made it to the main parking lot where the superchargers will. The progress lately has shocked me. From earlier reports it looks like the end of June is pretty accurate!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    406.3 KB · Views: 167
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    335.6 KB · Views: 135
I went when it was closed so I couldn't talk to anyone. It looks like they made it to the main parking lot where the superchargers will. The progress lately has shocked me. From earlier reports it looks like the end of June is pretty accurate!
Thanks for the update. But are you sure that this is for the supercharger? why are they digging the ground in the middle of the parking lot? It should be on the side I would assume.

Yes I was there today. The supercharger spaces are in front between the two driveways. The front of the lot was torn up and all the parking was full with trade ins and cars waiting to be delivered. The supercharging spaces will be a very visible marketing tool for people shopping at the auto mall.

Notice the depth of the Supercharger parking spaces. This could allow Tesla to design longer vehicles in the future. It will also allow visitors to walk around the vehicles and admire them. Who will be the first to post a "For Sale" sign on their Supercharging Tesla?

IMG_4995.JPG

While the conduit has been installed on both sides of the pavement area, construction continues to remove concrete to connect the conduits stubbed out on both ends. Looking at the newly finished pavement patterns, it is odd that planners chose to have conduit located under the concrete walk area.

IMG_4985.JPG

Maybe they couldn't use an underground boring company that could have prevented the removal of the concrete. Such a company was used to install a new natural gas line at my home and prevented concrete removal.

Here is view of the how the conduit under the new pavement is angled toward the construction in the distance.

IMG_4984.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: ggnykk
I'm curious how this one will perform once it's open, considering there isn't much nearby.

I'm also wondering how often the SC will use it to fill up owner's cars after they had been serviced rather than having them hooked up to wall chargers. I read on the Fremont thread that the SC uses the supercharger to fill up cars after they've been serviced and employees also hook up cars (their own?) making it difficult for travelers to find a space. Hopefully that doesn't happen here.

I'm curious how this one will perform once it's open, considering there isn't much nearby.

I'm also wondering how often the SC will use it to fill up owner's cars after they had been serviced rather than having them hooked up to wall chargers. I read on the Fremont thread that the SC uses the supercharger to fill up cars after they've been serviced and employees also hook up cars (their own?) making it difficult for travelers to find a space. Hopefully that doesn't happen here.

I saw that happening outside of Nashville and at Salt Lake City. The daily platooning of the demo fleet and maybe customer cars, it seemed.
Had to ask a technician to *not* pair up with me as there was at the time another space available. He looked surprised. Hey, I don't need a 16-hour day on the road to become 16.5 hours because of, well, call it what you will.

The good news is that it's still luck of the draw and for the majority of the day, those SvC SCs are going to be as empty as the rest of the 97% of the network that is Tumbleweed Central.

If they do follow through and light up every SvC on the continent, even with limited daily use it'll go a long way toward density mitigation in the more populated areas (they don't put SvCs in, say, Quartzsite, for example).

If I was a potential traveler in the area, I would find this SC very inconvenient. There's not much to do while the car is charging. It's just a bunch of car dealers around.

I just got my MS but was just thought that SC's are supposed to have things around them for you to do while you car charges.
I know the Harris Ranch SC had a restaurant/bar/subway next door.
Tejon SC had Chipotle, Yogurland, McD, Panda Express.

I'll probably rarely ever use the SC thought since I'm local.

If I was a potential traveler in the area, I would find this SC very inconvenient. There's not much to do while the car is charging. It's just a bunch of car dealers around.

I just got my MS but was just thought that SC's are supposed to have things around them for you to do while you car charges.
I know the Harris Ranch SC had a restaurant/bar/subway next door.
Tejon SC had Chipotle, Yogurland, McD, Panda Express.

I'll probably rarely ever use the SC thought since I'm local.

I've never been under the impression that SCs are placed primarily for the entertainment of those using them. While restroom facilities would be nice, there are generally alternatives a short drive away at worst.

Primary concern is distance to/from the next/last SC.

Secondary concern would be intelligent placement insofar as ICEing and safety are concerned. The practice of placing SCs in mall parking lots, for example, has proven to be completely flawed given the obvious conflict of interest, not to mention holiday problems.

Providing things for people to do while charging remains a distant, distant last in my mind, whether for density SCs or distance SCs.

This relatively new practice of installing owner-accessible SCs and HPWCs at SvCs is a win-win for after-hours density use as well as to provide extra units for distance travel (see Blue Ash, OH, West Palm Beach, and even Buena Park to an extent).

Reactions: MikeC