Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Buford, GA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same status at 5:00 PM Saturday as was reported by Flow on Thursday. Large conduit just waiting for some juice from somewhere. No activity at the site.
2018-09-29 Buford.JPG

I visited this site myself today, for the first time since construction started. Those conduits are indeed where I would expect a transformer to be dropped. But to the right you see a big drilling machine, for tunneling the power feed into that spot (I brightened up the image so that you can make it out better). That led me to find the Georgia Power bunker, about 500 feet away behind the Gabe's / Michael's, where they are still doing the wiring work. Heavy gauge wire is laid out and I expect them to pull that wire back through the tunnel bored by the machine. So this is still going to take a while to get done.

Attachments

• IMG_20180930_183941.jpg
    IMG_20180930_183941.jpg
    527.9 KB · Views: 100
  • 20180930_155932.jpg
    20180930_155932.jpg
    944.8 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20180930_184728.jpg
    IMG_20180930_184728.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 103
  • Informative
Reactions: WINGIT and P85_DA
I visited this site myself today, for the first time since construction started. Those conduits are indeed where I would expect a transformer to be dropped. But to the right you see a big drilling machine, for tunneling the power feed into that spot (I brightened up the image so that you can make it out better). That led me to find the Georgia Power bunker, about 500 feet away behind the Gabe's / Michael's, where they are still doing the wiring work. Heavy gauge wire is laid out and I expect them to pull that wire back through the tunnel bored by the machine. So this is still going to take a while to get done.

Nice, thanks for the photos! I’m no EE but I wonder if these are going to be V3 Superchargers that are (supposedly) capable of 150 kW or higher?

• Disagree
Reactions: WINGIT and spectrum
I just drove by the stations about an hour ago (2 pm Friday the 10/5/2018) and all the work is done, and they have filled and covered all the trenches. No construction equipment is present or any loose cables that were there before. Surrounding area is tidied up and they have planted the bushes, and looks like its all ready to go. Still the fence is on. May be in a day or two they should restore power to the stations, and allow people to charge the cars.

Does anyone know when this charger will be up and running? Will be making a trip up to the area Friday night and would love to charge up here.

I would not count on it being up and running by next week. The GA Power electrician I spoke to yesterday (not sure with what degree of certainty or if GA Power had a ‘completion by’ date) said the Tesla folks could hook up as early as next week. We all know how easily Tesla timelines can get pushed back! BUT significant progress has been made at this location very quickly, so you might be pleasantly surprised!

The chain linked fence is down, but no juice on the chargers yet, so don’t be fooled! I was so excited, then so bummed!!! The stalls are TIGHT! There are curbed islands across from the chargers, so unfortunately you can swing wide on only a couple of the stalls. Woo-hoo, we are close folks!!!View attachment 343205
As much as I dislike that style of supercharger layout, they are much more visible to the average driver and IMO much less likely to be ICEd.

Reactions: ai4px and JulienW
Around 3:00 pm I stopped by Tesla Superchargers by Costco in Buford, GA. Looks like everything done, the fences also removed. I thought the superchargers are ready to go and plugged to charge my car. But the dash board gave message "No Power In Wall mount". Basically, what it says the power is not switched on yet. It may be in a couple of days or Monday. Pictures attached..

Attachments

• IMG_20181012_152750.jpg
    IMG_20181012_152750.jpg
    682.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20181012_152651.jpg
    IMG_20181012_152651.jpg
    702.5 KB · Views: 55