Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Burbank, CA (Service Center, no longer on nav map)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm tempted to completely write off this location, and/or places like it (small'ish superchargers well positioned for use by locals).

I've been taking advantage of the new in-car realtime supercharger status on this road trip I'm currently on. Right now we're at a hotel about 10 miles away (20+ min drive), without good nearby charging options. Haven't charged since Tejon Ranch so we'll need to top off somewhere before starting on the next leg of this trip.
Did you try and book a hotel with an EV charge station ?
The "find us" page on the Tesla web site lists several hotels with "destination" charging in that area. Charging the car while sleeping is always my preferred option. :)

Did you try and book a hotel with an EV charge station ?
The "find us" page on the Tesla web site lists several hotels with "destination" charging in that area. Charging the car while sleeping is always my preferred option. :)
Normally I do like to stay near convenient charging, but that's not always practical. Sometimes there are other reasons for picking a hotel, such as in this case.

(I also wish that "please see valet" wasn't plastered on 75% of Tesla's "destination charging" spots, but that rant is a little off topic for here.)

Just stopped by Burbank right now, and a SpC tech is there replacing ALL THE CABLES to every stall. :D

He waved me into stall 3a which he just brought online and got full power with no taper and the handle was nice and cool the whole time. Talked to him while he was working. Said he was only 1 of 5 techs that handle the SpC maintenance on the west coast.

He also said that the chargers in the stack are rock solid and hardly ever go down. It's always the handles or wear and tear mostly.

Anyways.. prepare for the M3 slaughter

Burbank supercharger at 9AM Saturday morning:

LRM_EXPORT_20170624_194739.jpg

Only 2 people using it!

Tony, I'm not sure I understand your question. There are a few Tesla showroom or service center locations that have Supercharger pedestals (Tesla does not have "dealerships"). Burbank is one such location. Buena Park is another.
Does Tesla close superchargers that are at their dealerships?
Burbank is such a busy area that I dont see them closing the location, but you never know!

Does Tesla close superchargers that are at their dealerships?

Tesla has not closed a supercharging site...yet. There's a first time for everything though, and Burbank would probably be high on that list. It's crowded and unexpandable (for the most part). Closing and relocating to anew, nearby mega location would make the service center and showroom more efficient at their primary functions, especially when M3 rolls in.

Tesla has not closed a supercharging site...yet. There's a first time for everything though, and Burbank would probably be high on that list. It's crowded and unexpandable (for the most part). Closing and relocating to anew, nearby mega location would make the service center and showroom more efficient at their primary functions, especially when M3 rolls in.
The rumor of its closing was started somewhere upthread. Honestly, I do not see a point in actually closing a SC, especially at a location where Tesla has complete control, such as this. My belief is that if a larger and better SC was to open nearby, the original Burbank would either stay open (the more the better, right?) or could be restricted to the service center's use.

I've not heard of an American Supercharge site closing, but some have closed in the UK. One on the outskirts of London due to site damage and others that may have been temporary even though they did not use the palletized charger setup. Surrounding sites have always taken up the demand.

• Informative
Reactions: bxr140
I have not heard of this rumor of Burbank closing the site down once the parking structure is opened up. That would just make no sense and logic being how busy the local area/SF Valley is. Plus how would the Service Center test SpC operations on a car that is having problems?

Once a site is opened I'm sure it's opened for good (however I did hear a rumor "YES") that SpC's were going to be installed at the OLD Ikea location. Anyways......

The valley needs a hell of a lot more capacity then just CSUN and T.O. (Speaking of CSUN) who the hell thought about putting it there?

CSUN sucks for a SpC location!! 2 CHAdeMO's exists there now thanks to public funds and CSUN tries to charge for 30min on public land and campus police always tries to nab ya!

That would suck for a location!

The rumor of its closing was started somewhere upthread. Honestly, I do not see a point in actually closing a SC, especially at a location where Tesla has complete control, such as this. My belief is that if a larger and better SC was to open nearby, the original Burbank would either stay open (the more the better, right?) or could be restricted to the service center's use.

I was told by the Tesla rep at Burbank that they are going to eliminate the showroom and turn the BSC into service/delivery only. He also shared that they are in the process of installing a large number of superchargers in the Burbank Mall. No projected date of completion as yet.

I have not heard of this rumor of Burbank closing the site down once the parking structure is opened up. That would just make no sense and logic being how busy the local area/SF Valley is.

Sure it does. Tesla Burbank can be VERY congested, and the introduction of M3 is going to make the sales/service activity even more congested. It makes a lot of sense for them to close a small and inconveniently located supercharger once a larger, and presumably expandable location comes online.

Plus how would the Service Center test SpC operations on a car that is having problems?

Most, and probably all service centers have superchargers dedicated to service operations.

Last edited:
This supercharger replacement can't happen fast enough. Had to use it Thursday night (7/13/17) in order to make it back home to Valencia. Arrived at 10 pm and there was a line 5 deep. Started charging about 11 pm, used for 10 minutes to get just enough to make it home 30 miles away. The line was 8 deep when I left. Worst I and everyone there had ever seen.

Stopped by here just to see what the deal with it was as it's still on Supercharge.info but not on the Tesla Nav list as a public supercharger. All the stalls were lit up, but 4 of the stalls had cones in front of them blocking them. The two closest to the road seemed "open". One had a X plugged in, but no one around, and I tried the other to see if it worked (it did) but didn't stick around long as I had already charged up the road at the new 20 stall charger.

• Informative
Reactions: dauger
Charged there Saturday Nov. 11 about 5-6 pm and I found two other S charging when I arrived and 1 other S charging when I left. I arrived with 72 miles in my battery and left with about 230 (I didn't need to be full). I wanted to explore this site and get a nice charge while having dinner before taking my son to a Cub Scout overnighter at the LA Zoo, and my boy preferred The Habit over the choices at the mall. I sure hope they don't close this site because it's a worthwhile backup to the mall. Nice to have a grey pin in my navigation for this Supercharger.

IMG_2875.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Reekdog
It baffles me why owners are complaining about the long wait and lack of stalls at the Burbank SC. Why torture yourself when the Burbank Mall supercharger station is 20 strong with another 6 stalls on the way. So far, It's never full, open 24 hrs and approximately a mile away from the service center where they use the stalls for service customer charging.

• Disagree
It baffles me why owners are complaining about the long wait and lack of stalls at the Burbank SC. Why torture yourself when the Burbank Mall supercharger station is 20 strong with another 6 stalls on the way. So far, It's never full, open 24 hrs and approximately a mile away from the service center where they use the stalls for service customer charging.
Who’s complaining? I haven’t seen anyone complain since the other Burbank opened.

Reactions: Fiver and bxr140
Stopped by here just to see what the deal with it was as it's still on Supercharge.info but not on the Tesla Nav list as a public supercharger. All the stalls were lit up, but 4 of the stalls had cones in front of them blocking them.
Stopped by because it is still on Supercharge.info even though it isn't on the Car Nav. The tech told me that with all the business they are getting they need to use the chargers to charge up cars in for service and delivery so they took this charger offline. But otherwise, it still works exactly the same.

Having seen the black box Supercharger they use at the Fremont delivery center and San Rafael SvC I asked; if they are using regular Superchargers to fill up the car how do they keep from charging the customer for the power used? He said you can charge a car as much as you want, as long as it is marked in-for-service, it won't show up on your statement.

He said it was OK for me to charge as I am on a Supercharger Tour, but they want others to go to the new Burbank facility. Which I also did and had to wait in line, though nowhere near as long as I did at Glendale, geez.

I see messages in this thread about Superchargers not closing. I always kinda figured the original Mt. Shasta site would close after the big one opened across the street, but it's still going. But I also see Laguna Seca as a closed charger. That's before my time, so I'm not sure what happened there.

-Randy