Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Cabazon, CA (16 V2 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had to drive from the supercharger to the east side of the outlet to pick up the wife LOL. By then the GPS switched to the dual traffic circles route....

Never trust the GPS. Never. I have been burned by it in the past. I learned my lesson. I use the belt-and-suspenders approach when at an unfamiliar location. I use the map on my phone to see the best way to return to the freeway, or I look at the on ramp while exiting the freeway to reach the Supercharger.

Weird hearing so many complain about this location. I ended up having to stop around 5pm Monday for a few months and again later at night and it was usually just a couple other cars there. I've also stopped on weekends and other weekdays a few times with never an overcrowding problem, daylight or not.

A friend that charges here almost daily said they're installing something new as of yesterday. Some larger parking spots with larger looking chargers. I'm guessing it will be for Tesla semi-trucks. I'm trying to get her to take a picture today.

Reactions: ScottRoberts33
Looks like they added a few urban chargers. I stopped by yesterday for a quick charge, and they had two of these pods with urban chargers. One of the pods had 3 urban chargers (2 on 1 side , and 1 on the other). The second Pod had just two urban chargers on each side. Charge Rate was a little slow, I was only getting approx 53 kw, not like the others one I used which would give me around 72kw. Luckily, I switched over to a supercharger and that gave me 92-94 kw on my Model S 75. The parking lot was very chaotic due to Cabzon Black Friday Shoppers.

Attachments

• IMG_7849.JPG
    IMG_7849.JPG
    318.5 KB · Views: 193
Reactions: P85_DA
Friend showed me pictures and yeah, they're urban chargers. She thought they were bigger than superchargers because there is a big box between the chargers and multiple chargers on a pallet. She thought maybe the two chargers next to each other might plug into two ports on a single semi-truck.

photo_2018-11-26_10-27-25.png photo_2018-11-26_10-27-39.png photo_2018-11-26_10-27-17.jpg photo_2018-11-26_10-27-29.jpg

I've got two other pics but every time I upload they show up broken. I've tried saving them in different image formats and with global color filters applied and it's almost always the same. One of them finally worked with repeated upload attempts on the same file. So site seems to be having issues. Other pics aren't that different so giving up for now.

While taking pictures, a guy working on them confirmed they are standard urban chargers for cars, not semis.

It does seem really weird there are three chargers on one pallet. I don't see how the cables could physically reach 3 cars at once without some weird parking. I think maybe if you backed up against the tall white tower you might reach the third charger next to the tower, but your car would stick way out of the parking spot. In someone else's photo, you can see a car didn't back up far enough and used that third charger from the side while blocking off the rear charger from use.

Last edited:
Reactions: Acps110
Based on the documentation on the supercharger cabinet (which says 72kW x 2), it doesn't look like it will charge 3 cars at once. But having that third charging post on there gives Tesla flexibility when it comes to being able to put the pallet in different locations in a parking lot and use different parking geometries. e.g. if they want to put one of these movable pallets in but they don't have access to 3 parking spaces in a row (stall-charger pallet-stall).

Cabazoon is a very busy site. I have seen it full or near full may times. The reason I'm not concerned about waiting times there is because of it's size. It has 16 stalls. Even if it's full and there are a few cars waiting, there is a quick turnover. The smaller the site (small number of stalls) the longer the wait times. If in doubt, skip Indio and go to Cabazon. The odds of it being full are lower and the wait times will be shorter if any.

This is a little disheartening. I supercharged at over 180 different Superchargers over the last 5 years. Years ago every supercharger was working and was reliable. No matter what weather or temperature or how busy it was. I remember how impressed I was how reliable the network is, especially compared to public chargers in general.

These days there are just so many issues at Superchargers. Again and again I encounter stalls not working and they don't get fixed for many weeks, even though they are very busy locations. I-15 between LA and Phoenix is underpowered in terms of Superchargers already. An event like Coachella combined with broken stalls is really a let down. There are always unforeseen things that can cause problems, but this Tesla just dropping the ball. As mentioned, that corridor is already at it's limit every weekend and sometimes weekdays. Coachella is happening every year. Tesla should have added temporary stalls at both Indio (had also long lines) and Cabazoon. At least send a technician out to fix the broken stalls in anticipation of the event!

Reactions: abasile