Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Cape May, NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The mayor of Middle Township Tim Donohue sent this to me today:
"When our inspector went out for Inspection on 6/18/2019 he requested an additional sheet of plans that showed “arc flash labels” for the switchgear at the site, which were not on the original plans.
The company provided those to us on 7/2/2019. So, once they were received, our inspector sent the approval over to the Electric Company via fax as they requested.
At this point it is in the hands of the Electric Company to turn the power on to the units."

Putting Cape May in context of how long other NJ superchargers were/have been in construction. Sort of middle of the road for NJ. You can play around with the visualization yourself here.

NJ supercharger construction.jpg

The mayor of Middle Township Tim Donohue sent this to me today:
"When our inspector went out for Inspection on 6/18/2019 he requested an additional sheet of plans that showed “arc flash labels” for the switchgear at the site, which were not on the original plans.
The company provided those to us on 7/2/2019. So, once they were received, our inspector sent the approval over to the Electric Company via fax as they requested.
At this point it is in the hands of the Electric Company to turn the power on to the units."
The missing link is the grounding issue between the meter cabinet and transformer need to be terminated by the contractor before Electric company can connect the transformer. Hope mayor is on top of this small detail.

The flash labels are in! So is the meter! The meter reads 000000 kWh as of this afternoon. This tells me the electric is connected. All it need is to ask mayor to throw the switch inside the locked meter cabinet. The “Coming Soon” Winter jackets are not coming out as yet! The Winter is coming, the Spring won’t be too far away! Let’s sing along...

Last edited:
Seems odd all this all electrical equipment is out and exposed with no fence. Aren't they usually fenced in? A few I've been to are.
Very much depends on the local jurisdiction and their planning/zoning regulations and design requirements. Some will require fencing, some will require screening with appropriate vegetation, and others will be okay with it just sitting out. This may also depend on the specific site within the jurisdiction as well.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: geowhjr