Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Carlsbad, CA (7710 El Camino Real, LIVE 27 Sep 2018, 26 urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found it! Drove around the extensive parking areas this afternoon at this location (7710 El Camino Real) and saw three construction engineer types pouring over plans on the back of their pickup truck. No, not suspicious at all :)

After ascertaining I wasn't a nefarious spy or crazy (well, participating in these forums makes you at least somewhat obsessive!), they acknowledged that this was the site of a 26 stall Supercharger. They (MaxGen) were there to do construction planning, making sure the plans somewhat reflected reality on the ground, etc. They will be the general and electrical contractor for the project. I did ask about timeline, but of course, they weren't going to commit to anything to me!

It is located on the most upper, overflow parking lot, essentially ensuring no ICEing. While there is a mall directly below the parking lot, it is mostly service businesses. A full set of eateries is a short walk across a street (including a Starbucks).

The same parking lot does have a big 500 kW SDG&E transformer, but it'll have to be upgraded or added to for 26 Superchargers. These guys have built other Tesla superchargers before, and have built a lot of EVGo CHAdeMO stations.

I forewarned them that they will get a lot of visitors once construction starts. I said that they may get coffee, bagels and donuts from Tesla fans checking out the progress, so don't let down the image of us crazy obsessive TMCers and bring a peace offering when you swing by. The construction manager did ask that people respect construction fences, and I assured him we weren't that crazy (right?).

Here are some pics:

Panoramic of the area. The left lower parking area is for the Equinox gym, and upper right parking lot is where the Superchargers will go. My X is parked in stall #1.

01fb33d6ffd94eaa28bdaf22886eace4ee529fa41d.jpg

View of the parking lot with the Equinox gym in the background, my X in stall #1.

010ce471204cdadb56269936682400f422a91389c9.jpg

Site:

sc.jpg

(Moderator note: the threads have been merged)

I just created a new separate thread for the SC at 7710 El Camino since I caught the contractor doing some site prep./planning work this afternoon. I suggest this thread be used for the 2525 El Camino Real thread until and if it starts construction.

Supercharger - Carlsbad La Costa/El Camino Const. Started

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for finding that construction site! Since there is one confirmed Supercharger site in Carlsbad, there should only be one thread. The threads have been merged.

If a second Carlsbad site appears than a separate thread can be created for it.
I just created a new separate thread for the SC at 7710 El Camino since I caught the contractor doing some site prep./planning work this afternoon. I suggest this thread be used for the 2525 El Camino Real thread until and if it starts construction.

Supercharger - Carlsbad La Costa/El Camino Const. Started

Maybe he doesn't like SDG&E's rip off rates.. I certainly don't.
SDGE’s rates are pretty bad.

I drive to LA for consulting a fair amount and get back with very little charge and still have to pickup kids from school etc. being able to quickly get some charge close to would be preferable over stopping in an LA supercharger and risking more traffic!

This certainly looks like where the chargers will go. I have also heard that Bank of America will eventually leave that location because they built a new one up the road at La Costa/Rancho Santa Fe. This location is also close to all of the hotels like the Omni La Costa.

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
Drove by "proposed" location by BofA Bank... there are only 17 parking spots roped off.. assume at least 1 for equipment? So not sure about the 26 stalls. The others would have to next to bank? ....... but will take whatever we can get.

Drove by "proposed" location by BofA Bank... there are only 17 parking spots roped off.. assume at least 1 for equipment? So not sure about the 26 stalls. The others would have to next to bank? ....... but will take whatever we can get.

That’s not where the Superchargers are going. The mod decided to delete my thread and merge it in with this one, so the post with the location of the Superchargers is buried within this thread. Yeah, I thought that was a really bad decision by the moderator too. This moderator has never heard of the light touch approach.

Anyhoo, my post showing where it is is post #100 in this thread. I would link to it, but IOS has made it impossible to copy/paste certain things since Steve Jobs died. We’re missing ya Steve!

That’s not where the Superchargers are going. The mod decided to delete my thread and merge it in with this one, so the post with the location of the Superchargers is buried within this thread. Yeah, I thought that was a really bad decision by the moderator too. This moderator has never heard of the light touch approach.

Anyhoo, my post showing where it is is post #100 in this thread. I would link to it, but IOS has made it impossible to copy/paste certain things since Steve Jobs died. We’re missing ya Steve!

I looked at that area a while back after looking at your original post (#100) and agree that is a much better location and is away from the main parking areas. Also ample for 26 chargers. Thanks for the clarification.

• Informative

Here you go: Supercharger - Carlsbad (permit found, construction started)

I personally think @ecarfan is an excellent moderator, though I do agree that this was a mistake (and yes, he is sometimes a little too aggressive in not allowing any wavering off-topic at all). We know for certain that there are two permits. I believe there should be two threads: One to discuss the location under construction, and another to discuss the permitted. Merging them made no sense at all. Typically, he forbids any discussion that does not pertain specifically to the supercharger in that thread. In this case, he did the exact opposite. We should not discuss the speculative location in the confirmed location thread, but now we have no choice?

I personally think @ecarfan is an excellent moderator, though I do agree that this was a mistake (and yes, he is sometimes a little too aggressive in not allowing any wavering off-topic at all). We know for certain that there are two permits. I believe there should be two threads: One to discuss the location under construction, and another to discuss the permitted. Merging them made no sense at all. Typically, he forbids any discussion that does not pertain specifically to the supercharger in that thread. In this case, he did the exact opposite. We should not discuss the speculative location in the confirmed location thread, but now we have no choice?
Agree.. until Tesla decides to either pull the location or go ahead, it is still of interest to many without getting buried in another thread.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
Found it! Drove around the extensive parking areas this afternoon at this location (7710 El Camino Real) and saw three construction engineer types pouring over plans on the back of their pickup truck. No, not suspicious at all :)

After ascertaining I wasn't a nefarious spy or crazy (well, participating in these forums makes you at least somewhat obsessive!), they acknowledged that this was the site of a 26 stall Supercharger. They (MaxGen) were there to do construction planning, making sure the plans somewhat reflected reality on the ground, etc. They will be the general and electrical contractor for the project. I did ask about timeline, but of course, they weren't going to commit to anything to me!

It is located on the most upper, overflow parking lot, essentially ensuring no ICEing. While there is a mall directly below the parking lot, it is mostly service businesses. A full set of eateries is a short walk across a street (including a Starbucks).

The same parking lot does have a big 500 kW SDG&E transformer, but it'll have to be upgraded or added to for 26 Superchargers. These guys have built other Tesla superchargers before, and have built a lot of EVGo CHAdeMO stations.

I forewarned them that they will get a lot of visitors once construction starts. I said that they may get coffee, bagels and donuts from Tesla fans checking out the progress, so don't let down the image of us crazy obsessive TMCers and bring a peace offering when you swing by. The construction manager did ask that people respect construction fences, and I assured him we weren't that crazy (right?).

Here are some pics:

Panoramic of the area. The left lower parking area is for the Equinox gym, and upper right parking lot is where the Superchargers will go. My X is parked in stall #1.

View attachment 272818

View of the parking lot with the Equinox gym in the background, my X in stall #1.

View attachment 272819

Site:

View attachment 272822

Cosmacelf, really an excellent report on the future supercharger site at 7710 El Camino Real. I've been prowling through the two potential Carlsbad sites since seeing them both listed. The "mall" itself located at 7710 is a very sad old location with a number of business vacancies, but the Equinox Gym is a nice facility with a lot of clients' parked cars which could have caused ICING problems if the chargers were located in that lower parking lot adjacent to the gym. However; as you have verified, the 26 SC stalls are to be located in the much more out of the way upper lot which is a PERFECT choice by Tesla! As several posters have noted, the shopping center nearby, across La Costa Blvd. has just about everything needed for a 30 to 45 minute charging stop! The only negative observation I would make is having to walk across busy La Costa Blvd. to access the facilities at that center. There is a traffic light at the corner of El Camino Real/La Costa Blvd., so not too bad. WOW, 26 stalls!

I'm also betting on Tesla constructing 16 stalls at the other SC site at the Shoppes at Carlsbad to serve the East/West 78 corridor. Additionally, Tesla Customer Advisors at La Jolla Town Center have talked about a future service center being located in the SD North County area; however, if it takes this much flailing around to get superchargers built...well, who knows? Also, I just noticed on my Tesla Supercharger map 12 stalls listed as permitted at SD-Black Mountain Ranch. I don't know when that site was listed, it slipped by me, but probably not by some of you eagle eyed folks.